TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 30, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 30, 2012 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 5:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Friend saw Django and said it was quite violent and was mad no one had warned her. Also, she said a lot of the N word.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 6:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
In the Jack Reacher books, I thought that the plots are all about the same. I read a number of them, but got bored because it seemed like the same story over and over again.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 7:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Jack Reacher in the books is 6'6"! Quite a difference, but the author himself said the Cruise "got" the character.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 8:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Dipo, I think your friend should know better than to go see a Quentin Tarantino film if they don't like a lot of violence. That and the R rating is a tell-tale sign.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Thanks Dipo. Yes,hardly any movies get "R" ratings so you know its going to be violent. Ive read about the controversy of the "N" word so I am expecting it.

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
Teach, I couldn't agree more. I saw it today, and even though I'm used to a deeper voiced Javert, Russell Crowe pulled it off. Bawled like a baby at the end. DH said "but this is a happy part"...lol
One of the kids left their earpods in the theater and I'm picking them up tomorrow. I say, why not stick around and see it again!

Pamy

01-02-2002

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I saw Parental guidance. It was ok, pretty predictable, Id wait for dvd, which will be soon...it was only playing in 1 theater

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 9:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Les Miserables 8/10

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
Personally I was not as impressed with Les Miserables as many people. Opera did not translate well to big screen. R. Crowe was awful; hurt my ears! Jackman and Hathaway were good and there were some powerful and emotional moments but overall I thought it dragged and didn't move quickly enough.....singing got in the way of the story!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Did you see and like the broadway production AuntieMike?

I think this movie is really just for people who would go to the broadway show. It's not going to do much for your main stream audience.
That said, I liked it better than the broadway show which put me to sleep (I was in the cheap seats).

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
LOl Brenda, my parents said the opposite. They said if they hadn't have seen Colm Wilkinson and the wonderful stage production that they might have enjoyed the movie more. But, having seen and heard the quality on broadway the movie just paled in comparison. They liked it, didn't love it.

As someone who adores anything broadway I think they should have focussed on getting the best singers not big name celebrities who can carry a tune. Parents did say that you can tell the one true broadway singer (Samantha Bark? Can't remember her name) as her voice was a joy.

ETA: I was close!! Her name is Samantha Barks. I looked her up on imdb.com and it says they gave her the role over Taylor Swift. OMG!!! The horror, can you imagine?

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I can't imagine Taylor Swift. YIKES!
Yeah, a film is vastly different from seeing a live production. But it's still a film of a broadway show, so songs and songs and more songs. :-) The singing IS the story. I thought Crowe was fine and I'm not a fan of his.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I have seen and thoroughly enjoyed the Broadway production, so I am a little hesitant about seeing the movie. I am a Russell Crow fan, but can't quite get my mind around him as a singer, although I can certainly see him in that character!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 3:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Instead I saw Parental Guidance today. It was light and fluffy and just the antidote for a cold, wet, dreary afternoon.

I think tomorrow afternoon will either be Guilt Trip or the soccer player one whose name is not available in my memory bank at the moment!

The parking garage was full when I went in at 2:00 and bumper to bumper when I came out at 4:00!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I love Les Miserables on stage (saw it many times). I haven't seen the movie yet and I'm not sure how much I'll like it. I'd rather they used people from Broadway in the movie rather than mainstream actors.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Just got back from seeing Les Miz. LOVED IT! I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 5:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I created a Les Miserable Thread so we could post our own reviews and discuss it more in depth, if anyone feels so inclined.

Forgot to add that there was even audience applause at the end of the film. :-)

And whatever you do, don't forget to bring tissues. Lots of them. LOL.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 7:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I LOVE "Mama Mia" on stage and refused to see the movie and have it spoiled for me. I think I feel the same way about "Les Mis!"

Holly

07-21-2001

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 8:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
I just loved Mama Mia on stage too but absolutely hated the movie; found it very, VERY cringe-worthy. I'm afraid I'll feel the same about Les Mis too so have held off going to see it.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
TNT I'm sure I'm swimming upstream about this, but I actually preferred Mama Mia on film, and I've seen it on stage twice. The only SOUR note in the filmed version for me, was poor Pierce Brosnan trying to sing, which was painful for my poor ears and a HUGE disappointment. Otherwise, while the stage version was definitely fun, the film for me, is pure joy.

ETA, as for Les Miz, both the stage and film versions are GREAT, but different. I adore the stage version and would never pass up a chance to see it again, and I've already seen it with 4 different casts (some better than others but always worthwhile). The film added a spectacular depth to the story that I wasn't expecting since I am so familiar with it. Must admit I prefer the singing in the stage version much more though.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Saw "Guilt Trip" today - another funny and fluffy romp to offset a dreary, drippy, chilly day!

Tishala

08-01-2000

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I'm housesitting and going through the screeners..."for your consideration".....for the year. Liked Lincoln more than I thought I would. Didn't like The Hobbit or Promised Land, the new Matt Damon film. Zero Dark Thirty is not as good as everyone says it is; Les Miserables is a complete dirge. The Master and Argo are even better than I remember.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is quite good; Cloud Atlas is awful; Friends with Kids is OK.

I watch half of these thinking "why spend all that money to send out screeners of these things?"

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 8:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I don't think you are supposed to walk out of Les Mis singing "forget your troubles, come on get happy..."

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 9:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

ROFL TEX!

Tish - lucky you to have all these free flicks at your disposal. :-) Lincoln and Argo should be awesome from everything I'm hearing.

TNT the Guilt Trip does look silly fun.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post