TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Life of Pi

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Life of Pi users admin

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Monday, November 26, 2012 - 8:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
This is an amazing movie...in many ways. The story is deep and complex and so well done. The animation/special effects are spectacular in a very good way, the spiritual journey, the life's lessons, the relationships, the character development....all so very well done. It fits many ages and draws many emotions. I highly recommend it!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, November 26, 2012 - 8:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I don't like 3D but it seems to be the only option. I'm hoping to see it in 2D at some point. Couldn't make sense of the book so I'm hoping the film clarifies it for me. (I had the same thing with The World According To Garp).

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, November 26, 2012 - 8:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's interesting. I'm not a big fan of 3D either. I thought that most movies that are offered in 3D are offered in 2D as well but I haven't gone to many movies lately.

It sounds like this is a good one.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, November 26, 2012 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I hated that so many people raved about the book and I couldn't make heads or tails of it. WAY too obscure for me and made me feel VERY stupid, which I'm not, just mildly stupid on some days. LOL.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, November 26, 2012 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL - I haven't read this book so I can't comment on it directly but in general some books can be pretentious.

I must say that I'm intrigued.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Monday, November 26, 2012 - 9:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Mame, I with you. I tried to read the book and I could not follow the content of the storyline. It was too deep for me I guess. When I saw the previews for this movie, I felt redeemed in a way because I'm prepared for the movie to explain it all to me. After I see this movie, I'll give the book another try.

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Monday, November 26, 2012 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
I have never tried to read the book, nor do I like to read a book and then see the movie....always a disappointment. I had no idea what this movie was about. I did find it to be profoundly deep and should probably see it again, and again! However, the story is excellent, the acting is well done, (even my 12 year old son cried in two spots, so you know it reaches emotions within us). I don't mine 3D but I suspect 2D would be fine as well.

It gives you a lot to think about and understand. It puts you on your own journey as well, I believe.

Give it a chance.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, November 26, 2012 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Eggie dahlink, I feel redeemed by your comments. :-) So glad I'm not the only one who was completely baffled by the danged book. :-)

Auntimike, I'm like Eggie, hoping the film will at least sort it out for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much and appreciate your comments.

Jimmer, since you're intrigued, maybe you shouild tackle the book and let us know what you think of it. And of course see the film, which as I said, is on my list of filjs to see. SOOOO many excellent films out. What to do, what to do?

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 5:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
I am going to see it today. Can't wait. Some of the film was shot across the street from my house. I don't live near water so I know it is not that part.

Loved the book and really hope they stay true to the story.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 5:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Mame I classify books two ways a hard read and fluff. I read both types and this was a hard read. For me that means I read it slowly and it requires my focus so some parts I had to read twice. I had to go back and review parts. And it takes about two weeks to finish it. So you are right it is a hard book to follow.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 8:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Pippin I'd be curious to see your review once you've seen the film. Enjoy the film. :-)

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 4:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
My viewing got moved to Saturday

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
So saw the film today. It was well made and well acted. They kind of spoon fed you some of the ideas in the film where in the book you have to make the mental leap yourself.

The film was good but the book really was worth the read.

In one of the last indoor house shots you can see my house in the window behind the writer.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 7:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Cool Pippin. So, do you think a 10 year old would get much out of the film? The more I see people talk about it the more I think it may be too sophisticated for her.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 7:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
wow Pippin very cool!!!!!!!!!!!

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 7:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
It really depends, there are some sad parts and some violent parts. If she likes nature films she will be ok, I am trying not to spoil here.

How about this read small spoiler:

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
animals kill and eat weaker animals

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 10:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Thanks Pippin. We may try to see it tomorrow. I don't think your spoiler would bother her any more than it would me. LOL. I do worry she'll be bored or just won't get anything out of the film.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 10:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Well, scratch that. She's not interested in seeing it. I think we'll wait for home video. :-(

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 4:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Hmmmmmm - I am not much for life lesson movies - entertain me!!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 7:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I'm also going to wait til it's on TV's movie channel.

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Monday, December 10, 2012 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
I didn't read the book, but I absolutely LOVED this movie.

I hadn't seen a 3D movie since the Muppet 3D movie that was shown at Disney's MGM studios back in the '80's!

So the shock of how excellent the technology was and the very thought-provoking story just made this my favorite movie of the year. I'm actually going to see it again tomorrow night with a friend, and I NEVER pay to see a movie twice.

It was the kind of film that I thought about for hours after it ended.

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Sunday, February 03, 2013 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
The tiger was CGI, but 100% believable. The best scene in the book was omitted where the Pandit, Imam & Priest claim Pi & debate the merits of their faith. Very funny. The sinking ship is named Tsimtsum which is a Kabbala concept that light was everywhere. Then God had to "withdraw" or shrink so that there would be space for the universe to expand into.

Alib

07-15-2000

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Alib a private message Print Post    
Hated this movie ... found it boring and very difficult to connect to the main character. When your favorite character is the tiger you know that you are watching the wrong movie. On the other hand I loved the book!

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 5:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
8.314/10

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 7:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
LOL, Ketchuplover. You are too funny!

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Friday, July 26, 2013 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
The story was fine, but not Oscar-worthy.

Loved the tiger.

And the very end when Pi changed the story...made me think.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I loved it! However, I should have stayed away from the Extras on the DVD, didn't want to see how they faked the whole nightmare at sea...

Ang Lee was my only reason to watch this movie and it didn't disappoint, as always.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 10:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Just watched it and while I hated the book, I loved the movie. It was visually stunning.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, September 16, 2013 - 10:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Now this one is a movie that lived up to the hype. I just saw it on cable last weekend and loved every minute.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Friday, May 16, 2014 - 5:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
I read it, I listened to it, and watched it.....I loved it and will listen to it again...the writing was excellent.....this was one of favorite of all time

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: