TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 14, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 14, 2012 users admin

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Just saw "Celeste and Jessie Forever" this afternoon. Just happened to spot it on Fandango - I liked it a lot, but I can also see it not being "everybody's" movie - fine acting!

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
If you're looking for something for the Halloween season, I am suggesting

The Cabin in the Woods
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259521/

and Rotten Tomatoes gave it 90%

This movie starts out as one kind of movie and turns into about 3 other other kinds. It's a scary movie that's really fun. And I must stress "fun".

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
ooops, I should have put ^^that^^ in "new to dvd/bd".

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Monday, September 17, 2012 - 10:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
i liked Cabin in the Woods. i like movies that arent "formula"

if Anyone likes a good old fashioned type of horror.
THE POSSESSION great cast and good acting

a movie that is worth watching if just for the discussion afterwards, Sigorney weaver, Rbt deniro, Cillian murphy.

RED LIGHTS its a thriller horror and very well done.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Monday, September 17, 2012 - 10:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
if anyone likes a Period piece mystery/ crime/ thriller horror.

The Awakening

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1687901/

acting was great. luved the end

Tishala

08-01-2000

Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
See "The Master." It's really great, with Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

"Keep the Lights On" was also pretty sensational.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
The Master has my two top favorite actors. The premise sounds interesting.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Cabin in the Woods 8.999/10

Rissa

03-19-2006

Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Was looking forward to Looper and it seems to be getting good reviews but I see it's rated R. I am a bit squeamish with graphic violence/sex. If anyone sees the film, can you take a minute to give a review about the need for the R? THANKS!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I'm going to see it tomorrow. I've been avoiding all info about it. Can't wait!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, September 28, 2012 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Rissa, I'm not sure what to tell you. I didn't think the violence was graphic, but this film certainly earned its R rating. (Spoiler below about R rating, not about plot.)
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
The body count is high and there is a lot of blood. There is some gruesomeness that I won't soon forget although I didn't find it over the top or exploitive. There is little sex or nudity. The moral dilemma is certainly worthy of an R rating too.

I like the film. It's the kind of film that I have to think about a bit, let it simmer in my mind. I give them an A+ for originality.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, September 28, 2012 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I forgot to add, I'd love to discuss Looper further with folks after they've seen it. I went in knowing little about the film, so for those that intend to see it I would avoid reviews altogether and just go see it fresh.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, September 28, 2012 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Thanks Brenda. When I first saw the R rating it threw me because I know what 14A is and it takes a LOT to get past that to an R in Canada.... but it must have been just that one website that used the USA rating in error because it is indeed 14A up here. The reviews across the board have been positive enough that I am willing to stomach the blood. LOL

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
DH saw Looper today and liked it. We saw Possessed & House at the End of the Street. Possessed was more suspenseful but HATES had some 'make you jump' moments. We both liked both movies.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Friday, October 12, 2012 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Argo - excellent.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, October 12, 2012 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I saw it too Lexie. Very good. Affleck is really becoming a master filmmaker. I'm impressed. And he looks Pachino hot in his 70's beard and fashion. :-)

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 12:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
looper sucked big time/ low budget and virtually NO sci fi content

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 4:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Yes, he is Brenda. He also did an excellent job with The Town.

Argo was very suspenseful. I was constantly catching my breath. It definitely kept me on the edge of my seat and there are very few movies that do that.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 4:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Lexie, I have heard wonderful things about the movie Argo but I would plead with anyone who sees it to actually look up what really happened because the movie is MUCH more fiction than fact. It drives me crazy that hollywood thinks a story is interesting enough to tell and then twists it out of all recognition. Ken Taylor sets record straight: just one article out of thousands that can put you in right direction. The vast majority of people who see this movie will now take it in as part of history.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 6:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
You are correct that it is "loosely" based on what happened. You have to know that when you go into the movie. Nonetheless, it is still a very suspenseful and well-acted movie.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 7:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Haven't seen the movie yet, but want to share that I had the great honour to meet with one of my personal heroes Ken Taylor in the late 80s in NYC at a Canada Day VIP event. I told him that while I've met and interviewed tons of 'stars' he was my first 'genuine hero' and I was extremely proud of him as a fellow Canadian. I STILL get a thrill when I think about it.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Hollywood always adds its own spin onto movies. As long as you know that I think the movie is a great avenue for introducing us to stories we might not otherwise know about. This has prompted an interest in reading Mendez's book, so I may even seek that out.

Yes, Lexie, this movie is so thrilling. My heart was pounding. It's just so well done.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
My understanding is that Mendez's book isn't that accurate either but at least is closer than the movie. From the article's i have heard, it seems that that was Affleck's big error... he based the movie on Mendez's book which is based on the true story. Sorta like that kid's game (whose name I can't remember) where a group sits in a circle and you whisper a sentence in the next kids ear and so on. By the time you get to the end of the circle what you are left with is Argo. LOL

Mame, very envious!!

Happymom

01-20-2003

Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
7 Psychopaths...VERY good! Interesting, funny, different, GREAT acting. (A bit violent and bloody at parts though. I had to look away from some scenes.) I wish more movies of a similar nature would be made.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 3:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Happymom, Seven Psychopaths is next on my list.