TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Cloud Atlas

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Cloud Atlas users admin

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Opens 10-26-12 Be there. Aloha.

Redpen

07-24-2003

Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 2:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
I started reading the book. Slow going for me. Has anyone else read it?

Happymom

01-20-2003

Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 7:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
I saw the preview for this while I was in the movie theater today. It looks very interesting. I hope it's really well done.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 11:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
We saw this last night and really enjoyed it. Well worth the money.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I haven't read the book. The box office totals have been very disappointing. My understanding is that it is quite a complicated story and they didn't know how to promote it. I'm looking forward to seeing it and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the movie.

Redpen

07-24-2003

Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 5:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
I started to read the book but it's too labor-intensive for me. I'll get back to it before I see the movie on cable.

Nolanry

09-11-2006

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nolanry a private message Print Post    
redpen, how far are you into it? I promise you it is worth it. There are a few sections that were not my favorite but there three in particular that I REALLY loved (and I think they're near the middle) I'm not sure if you've read any reviews of the book yet, that would've indicated that the author nested his stories?

So it starts with the first half of 5 stories: The Pacific Journal of Adam Ewing, Letters from Zedelghem, Half-Lives: The First Luisa Rey Mystery, The Ghastly Ordeal of Timothy Cavendish, An Orison of Sonmi~451...

and then the only section that you read in full is Sloosha's Crossin' an' Ev'rythin' After. and then it goes to back to the second half of each of the other stories but goes in reverse order. An Orison of Sonmi~451, The Ghastly Ordeal of Timothy Cavendish...etc. so that the last section you read is the 2nd half of The Pacific Journal of Adam Ewing. So it's kind of like nesting dolls. Taking the first half of each story until the one whole one in the middle and then completing each one in reverse order as you come back to the beginning.

I really enjoyed the route he took by way of telling the stories and even the sections I didn't enjoy as much, I was very glad I had read them when I was finished because it felt like every story was integral to the book as a whole.

I ended up enjoying the book way more than I expected and I definitely recommend it and hope you are able to finish it someday! Hope you might read the book too, Jimmer!

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 12:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
I just saw the movie on Blu-Ray. It's 6 stories with the same actors playing different parts. I can't imagine watching it without subtitles, though. Especially for the far-future story.

Story 1 is in the 1840's, story 2 in the 1930's, story 3 in the 1970's, story 4 in the present (2012), story 5 in the 2140's, and story 6 in the far future.

My favorites were the two future stories, but that may just be because I'm a huge sci-fi fan.

All the actors played their parts well, and Tom Hanks, in particular, seemed to have a lot of fun with his roles. I've watched the special features, too, and all the people involved in the production absolutely loved making the movie. Halle Berry said it's the most unique movie she'll ever be in, hands down.

Personally, I give it 9/10. Very entertaining, very visually stimulating, and a very cool concept. Highly recommended.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
7/10

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: