TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 02, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 02, 2012 users admin

Sheilaree

07-19-2002

Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 2:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sheilaree a private message Print Post    
Brave is not for little children, it is for children 10 and up. Not your normal Disney movie. It was good. I hope parents aren't bringing young childen to this movie it could be scary in parts for them.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Brave is rated PG. I'd say it's not for the under 5 crowd. Most kids 10 years old are watching the likes of Twilight and Pirates of the Caribbean, so it's really fine for them. It's a proper PG. There were lots of little kids (5-8_ in the theater and none of them seemed too bothered by the fierce bear. We expect bears to be fierce. Really, everyone is okay in the film.

We really enjoyed it, and it seemed everyone in the theater did too.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, June 25, 2012 - 5:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
My daughter is nearly 6 years old and we have a date to take her to see Brave in a couple of weeks with another friend of ours.

Sheilaree and Brenda, please elaborate, what type of scary is it? Like a blood and gore? Monsters? Or just the bear? There isn't violence in the sense of someone raping/beating someone is there? Or watching someone get killed graphically?

Thanks in advance, I don't want my daughter to be traumitized by this movie.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, June 25, 2012 - 8:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Mizi, can you describe what kind of films your daughter has seen? Has she ever been to the movies before? Yes, it's the bear that is scary. There is no blood and gore, this is Disney PG.

Commonsensemedia.org gives this a rating of "age 6 and up" and I consider them to be conservative and yet realistic. I don't agree with Sheilaree's assessment of this movie. And I didn't see or hear any kids in the packed theater that were upset. I was in front and behind kids that were probably age 5-6 and they didn't even climb into their parent's lap. I wouldn't recommend this as a first film for kids, but for a 6 year old they have often been to the theater many times before.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, June 25, 2012 - 8:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Mizi, just to give you an idea of what else Commonsensemeda gives a 6: Lion King, Madagascar 3, Puss in Boots, Kunk Fu Panda 2.

Jewels

09-22-2000

Monday, June 25, 2012 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jewels a private message Print Post    
My daughter is 9 and had a hard time falling asleep last night because she couldn't stop thinking about the bear. The movie didn't scare her, although she did watch through her fingers a couple times, but thoughts of the bear growling freaked her out.

I didn't see kids freaking out in the theater, but how would I have known anyway? It's dark and the movie is loud, I wouldn't have known the difference between a kid being upset that he spilled his popcorn and a kid scared at the movie. :-) I wouldn't take anyone under 7, but you now your kid better than anyone else...trust your own judgment. :-)

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, June 25, 2012 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Agreed that it's a know-your-own-kid type of situation. A lot depends on their personality and how much movie going experience they have, because being in a darkened theater is different than being at home. Which is why my DD and I love it so much.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, June 25, 2012 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Thank you Brenda and Jewels. My daughter has been to many movies including just recently Madagascar 3. Lion King wasn't scary for her but more sad about the father lion being killed. Same with the movie "Up" she likes the movie but was sad at the beginning with the man's loss of his wife. We saw Puss'n'Boots in the theatre too.

I think I will still take her. I don't think I will mention the bear before the movie as that may make her anticipate it more.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, June 25, 2012 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
It sounds like she's a movie veteran. I'd put this film intensity on par with Lion King. I think she'll do fine. Hope you both like the film.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, June 25, 2012 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Has no one seen "The Intouchables?" I am not a huge fan of captioned movies, but this one looks quite good!

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 11:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1217209/parentalguide

EVERY movie has a parental guide on IMDb.

there is a site my friend used to go to, i cant remember link, but it would list offically each category of possible infraction.

Like this movie has nudity and some sexual overtones.... but in cartoon LOL

it comes down to parental choice in my opinion. BUT with lists like these, there is no reason for uninformed choices

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 7:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the link Sunshyne!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Saw "The Intouchables" this afternoon - loved it - and I am NOT a fan of captioned movies! A very moving experience -

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Friday, June 29, 2012 - 5:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Oh! I want to see that Tntitanfan. I hear it is amazing.

I saw Magic Mike and I do not recommend it.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Friday, June 29, 2012 - 9:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
magic mike storyline sucked. kinda depressing wait for dvd and just watch the dancing

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 6:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I think there are several other movies opening this weekend, so I willl have a choice for Sunday afternoon other than MM!

Callasin

06-21-2005

Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 7:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Callasin a private message Print Post    
I'm disappointed to hear that MM wasn't good. I saw Ted yesterday before work because MM didn't start early enough. I don't like Family Guy but was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed Ted.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
wow, i liked Magic Mike. It was so much more than the dancing.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I haven't seen Magic Mike, but it sounds to me like bad marketing. The brief snippets I read in reviews state it's a drama, but the previews make it look like a fun, raunchy romp. I'm not sure why they do that. When you fool people into thinking they're going to see one thing, and then it turns out to be very different, they are usually not happy.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
I keep hearing good things about "Ted" (if you are not easily offended by a potty mouthed stuffed animal).
And MM is just beefcake in between bad acting. I'm going for the dance scenes. Cheaper than the real shows here in Las Vegas.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 2:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
my friend and i still had fun...we hoot and hollared and threw fake dollar bills when they danced lol

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Pamy luv, you are always gonna have a good time, whatever you do!

Pamy

01-02-2002

Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 10:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
love you tnt! i will say that channing's ass was yummy and talk about a butt shot! lol

Pamy

01-02-2002

Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 10:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
TED!!!!!!! see it!!!!!! i laughed so hard i cried and my tummy hurts LOL its bridesmaids/hangover type humor so prepare for raunchy good fun

Sheilaree

07-19-2002

Monday, July 02, 2012 - 5:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sheilaree a private message Print Post    
It was good also Tyler Perry's movie Madea's Witness Protection very good, I hope he does another one I like it when he does her