TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 18, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 18, 2012 users admin

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 4:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Has anyone seen "the Lucky One?" It looks bright and breezy enough for me - NOT into deep or significant!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I have TNT. Keep in mind that I am NOT a Nicholas Sparks fan, his movies generally give me the gags and I was dragged to this one against my will by a 15 yr old who I owed a favour. LOL Having started with that caveat... it's the best Sparks adaption I have seen and I really didn't mind it at all. Efron just keeps getting easier on the eyes with each passing year and he has a real unselfconcious presence on screen. Blythe Danner is always a joy of course. My biggest problem was said 15 yr old muttering 'take off your shirt' repeatedly. :-) If you like sappy romances you will no doubt enjoy this (and I don't mean that snarky!).

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
If you get a chance--I don't know that it's ever going to open wide--see Bernie (Jack Black, Shirley MacLaine, Matthew McConaughey). It may not be to everyone's taste, but I thought it was very good. Much better than I expected, really, because I'm not a fan of Mr Black or Mr McConaughey.

Sheilaree

07-19-2002

Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sheilaree a private message Print Post    
It was good I like it the Lucky one go see it.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
LOL about the 15 year old muttering 'take off your shirt'. Hmmm... I love Effron from the High School Musical days -- maybe I need to see this movie on the BIG screen! :-)

Tishala -- I just started listening to Shirley MacLaine's book on CD and she mentions this movie. I've never heard of it. Now I'll have to keep an eye out for it (Netflix doesn't have it yet).

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 5:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I forgot to ask -- what age is appropriate for the Effron film? It's PG 13 and I'm thinking it's probably not age appropriate for a 10 year old (whereas something like Pirates of the caribbean is okay as the violence is cartoonish and there's no steam).

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Brenda, it just came out last Friday, I think. It has very limited release right now.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 5:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Ok. thanks Tishala. No wonder I'd never heard of it! :-)

Rissa

03-19-2006

Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 5:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Heavy breathing and VERY LONG kissing scenes. As far as I recall, that was it. No nudity and I don't remember language.

ETA: Oh and it starts out in Iraq with a brief 'incident'. Disturbing content but not at all graphic. After a good minute of the kissing/panting my dd began getting a bit antsy (watching it with mom) but it was a matter of how LONG it lasted not the content. Every kid is different but I can see taking my dd when she was 10 and covering her eyes and making a joke while they were kissing. Mind you at 10 she probably would have been bored.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, May 04, 2012 - 4:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Anyone manage to see The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson), I would love to hear feedback. I have been looking forward to it (midst of reading the book) but it was released in only ONE theatre in all Ontario (and only one other in all of Canada - in BC). Hoping next week sees a wider release, otherwise I will have to wait for DVD.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, May 04, 2012 - 4:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Rissa, it's on the top of my 'absolutely must see next' list. I just have to figure out where it's playing here in Toronto. IF you are in Toronto, contact me, and maybe we can see it together. Or not. LOL. Up to you. :-) Oh and I didn't know it was based on a book, so now THAT is on my book wish list, thanks to you! :-)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, May 04, 2012 - 4:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Jst googled it and discovered it's based on the best-selling novel, These Foolish Things, by Deborah Moggach. And FYI - it's playing at two theatres at the Varsity Theatre on Bloor St., here in Toronto.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, May 04, 2012 - 6:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Toronto is definitely out of my driving range. :-( But still hopeful they expand the theatres next week Maybe all the screens playing Avengers will go down a bit once opening weekend is over, that's my hope anyway. My Dad called to tease me that I got him all excited and it's not playing anywhere in Alberta.

Just started the book so can't comment too much but so far it's a very easy read.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, May 04, 2012 - 10:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I hope they expand release too. I really want to see it. In Seattle it is playing out on Bainbridge Island (ferry ride) of all places! I didn't know it was based on a book either. I'll see if I can reserve it at the library.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Monday, May 07, 2012 - 3:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
any sci fi fans out there?? Battleship was a welcome surprise.

I get tired of the cheezy pseudo sci fi/ fantasy movies like Avengers/ transformers etc.

this was good old fashioned fun and a different slant on the same ol same ol.

Great scenery too, and more then a few laughs.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, May 07, 2012 - 12:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Prob more dh's type of flick.}

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, May 07, 2012 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Saw "The Lucky One" today - nice love story. If you are a crier, take Kleenex -

Sheilaree

07-19-2002

Friday, May 11, 2012 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sheilaree a private message Print Post    
Any word yet on Dark Shadow?

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, May 11, 2012 - 6:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I can't say I recommend it. If you love Depp and T. Burton then you'll probably go see it anyways like I did and will enjoy it for what it is, but it's not much. (BTW, I did not watch the original TV show.)

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 9:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
In the Land of Blood and Honey 9/10

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 11:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
This movie called "Womb" is playing on Showtime this month. It's from 2010. I was mesmerized from beginning to end.

It's about a woman who loses her childhood love due to an accident, and she decides to give birth to his clone. This movie is GREAT. You have to see it.

Here's the IMDB page.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1216520/

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 6:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Without spoiling it, can you tell us a little more about what made you like it so much? Thanks!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 7:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Anybody seen "What to Expect When You Are Expecting? Looks like it might be funn -

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Friday, May 18, 2012 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
The Innkeepers 8.25/10

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, May 18, 2012 - 10:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, the thing I enjoyed most about is that it didn't seem like a sci-fi movie. It's like it happened today. And is sort of slow moving drama, really, with a couple moments of shock value. And the shock value really isn't from anything horrifying, it's from the drama, the story itself. It's just so fascinating, Jimmer. It's too hard to explain. I mean imagine the love of your life is killed while you are both so young, like 18, (and imagine you are woman....LOL) You give birth to his clone. And then imagine what happens when he reaches the age he was when he died. So you are looking right at the person who looks exactly like the person you fell in love with. Only problem is, he thinks of you as his mother.