TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
John Carter

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: John Carter users admin

Darrellh

07-21-2004

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 9:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Darrellh a private message Print Post    
Saw a sneak preview of this last night. Got last-minute passes to a 3-D Imax showing. I know this is an old story. It is from Edgar Rice Burroughs, who wrote Tarzan.
I really enjoyed this one. Without giving away the plot, I will say that you will see things in this movie that were "borrowed" over the years to make other sci-fi movies.
It was very good, but not great.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 9:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the review. Had you seen the previews? And did the movie look good to you from that? Because I have seen the previews and it looks like a mess, not like something I would enjoy. I hope it does well because it's Disney, but it hasn't been on my 'must see' list.

Darrellh

07-21-2004

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 9:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Darrellh a private message Print Post    
I had seen the previews. There could have been more time spent on explaining things, but then, it would have been a very long movie.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
it looked amazingly cheezy on trailer and is a disney production/ so i forgive them. I LUV sci fi so will be watching it no matter what.

Hate the jerky fake looking CGI tho. its one step up from Cartoons to me

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 7:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
All I know is it's based on "The Princess of Mars", which was a novel ahead of it's time.

They made a "B" movie a few years ago based on the same book, and it was pretty bad. Looks like they at least threw some money at this one.

Gidget

07-28-2002

Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gidget a private message Print Post    
A Princess of Mars is in the public domain and available online. It has interesting themes that to me are relevant even today.

I am concerned that Disney is making this movie. They are known for going for the buck over all other consideration.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 12:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
wow there is even an audiobook site offering it !

Sheilaree

07-19-2002

Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 1:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sheilaree a private message Print Post    
Good movie wasn't was I thought it would be I don't know but it was good it didn't need to be in 3D

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
I loved this movie, I did not know the story before. Hubby was bugging me to see it so I agreed to keep him quiet.

Every time someone said Helium will fall, I started laughing. (I was the only one).

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Monday, March 12, 2012 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
it was officially announced as a Bomb. i think that calling it "john carter" was a huge mistake. it doesnt attract kids/ tweens etc with a title like that

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, March 12, 2012 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree the title is very uninteresting and doesn't attract attention and the marketing was apparently atrocious.

However, I have a friend who is a huge science fiction buff and generally quite critical and he enjoyed it.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 8:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I will go see it because Taylor Kitsch is in it and he is great eye candy (sorry if that is sexist...I'll have to live with the shame). Not to mention awesome in Friday Night Lights.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
There is no shame in enjoying Taylor half-naked :-)

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 6:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Just reading an article discussing how John Carter could overtake Cuthroat island as biggest movie flop ever. Thats too bad. It was a really good movie, not fantastic but good solid entertainment. The marketing let the movie down as did the title imo.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 8:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
I agree w/Rissa. The marketing for the movie was atrocious. I saw it Sunday and was very entertained.

The only parallel I can think of is the movie "A Knight's Tale" from years ago. It was marketed badly, but turned out to be a pretty entertaining movie.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Saturday, April 14, 2012 - 9:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
it reminded me of Prince of Persia, which was also a fun but underrated movie

I've just watched John Carter and it was good ol fashioned sci fi fun; unfortunately there were a few things that should have been changed since it COULD be considered a bit of an avatar ripoff.

the multilegged and armed critters AND supposedly native life for instance That makes no sense when gravity is less,

also the humans would have had physical changes PLUS they all would have been able to jump. BUT upon emptying my mind, i enjoyed it WAyyyyyy more then avatar

i really liked how the young man was given the book to read to explain about the body!

i think the other thing that needed to be changed to be more marketable was the actual princess.. we havent seen such a tough muscular main character since the blonde warrior in the Original Conan

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Saturday, April 14, 2012 - 9:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
she was also too old, or LOOKED too old, i'd guess late twenties but looked mid thirties

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, April 15, 2012 - 4:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
That's one of the things that ticked me off about the marketing and editorials about this movie Sun. Hundreds of movies have ripped off THIS story, not the other way around.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Friday, April 20, 2012 - 5:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
exactly!!! the original story is from when? 1800s?? who ripped off whom

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 6:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
9/10

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Friday, July 20, 2012 - 10:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
The Princess was older than the leading man, that's true, but she's still gorgeous...

I've heard that lots of SciFi stuff was based off of this story...my dad told me this back in the 80's...that's why I don't hold any graphics stuff, or story stuff against them...this is the original

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: