TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 28, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Movies: Recommendations - No Spoilers, Please!: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 28, 2012 users admin

Rslover

11-19-2002

Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rslover a private message Print Post    
Katherine Heigel got terrible reviews. They said she was miscast and unbelievable as Stephanie. I didn't think she was that bad. I thought it should have been a little longer and we needed to see more of Lula and Grandma, though I thought Debbie was miscast.

Why was Ranger dressed in navy and not black all the time, like in the book? That was bugging us.

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Friday, February 17, 2012 - 11:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
I thought it was good and I'll buy the dvd when it comes out. I think Cloris Leechman would make a better Grandma.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 6:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Just curious, how many people here differentiate between the quality of a movie and their enjoyment of it? Wondering because I have had a few movies lately where it is clearly not a good (quality) movie but I really enjoyed them anyway. Had another of those experiences yesterday, we went to see This Means War with Chris Pine and Reese Witherspoon. I really enjoyed it, love Chris Pine and Reese is just so cute but I realize it wasn't a great movie, probably didn't even rise to the level of good. LOL I would watch it again though when it comes out on video. Joyful Noise was another in that category. I know my sister feels that if she enjoyed a movie then it must also be a good movie. To me that makes no sense but I see that here as well so just wondering how much of a minority I am. LOL The opposite is true as well, there have been many movies that I will admit are wonderful quality but I couldn't sit through them twice if you paid me.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I agree totally Rissa. I can recognize when a movie is good, well done, good storytelling, fine acting, but it still won't draw me in, won't excited me. Then I can watching something like Footloose or High School musical and see subpar acting, corny plot, but I just enjoy myself so much I don't care.

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
I would watch anything with Chris Pine in it!!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 2:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I watch for enjoyment purposes; if I'm entertained, it's "good," and I am EASILY entertained! LOL

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 7:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Another Earth 8/10 Take Shelter 8.01/10

Happymom

01-20-2003

Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
I do kind of differentiate between the quality of the movie (acting, camera work, writing, etc.) and my enjoyment of it. For example, I think Legends of the Fall was an excellent movie and I did not like it at all.

I have a weakness for romantic comedies, and some of those are really not the best movies, but I really liked them.

I see movies for entertainment purposes too. They are many "good" movies, critically acclamined, that I'm sure I'll never see. In fact, I don't really care much what film critics have to say about movies. If I am going to make the decision to go see a movie based on reviews, I'll look at imdb to see what regular people think a lot more often than I look at what the critics think.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 11:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
Safe House.

spy drama thriller and denzel. Need i say more?

enjoyed it

the realistic fight scenes and car chases reminded me of 70s style movies. We have been spoiled by years of fake cgi crashes and fake blood/ kungfu type spinning three times in the air before kicking FAKE fight scenes.

this movie stands on its own feet. never saw any fake cgi

Sheilaree

07-19-2002

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sheilaree a private message Print Post    
Abraham Lincoln is coming out this summer it looks good, my cousin work on it she was the production manager on it like for the Seceritial the horse movie which was good too.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Both "One for the Money" and "Joyful Noise" have left the area! The "Iron Lady " which got punk reviews is still here - wha gives?

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Safe House - I also enjoyed it. Lots of car crashes and explosions and fights.

But sometimes on these types of movies, I can't follow what is happening.

Safe House held my attention and I was able to follow all the twists and turns.

Sheilaree

07-19-2002

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 4:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sheilaree a private message Print Post    
Why are they showing movies again that they have shown before just because it in 3D. I guess they can't think of anything new to show us.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
same reason they keep making remakes. Total recall was a great show with Arnie schwartzenegger. I'm cringing at the thought of Colin Farrell playing his part.

sometimes they change the Title of the movie but the premise is a remake.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Rum Diary 6.7/10

Darrellh

07-21-2004

Friday, February 24, 2012 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Darrellh a private message Print Post    
KL...so then you need to drink rum before watching the movie?

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 7:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Has anyone seen "The Vow?" That is the only thing in town - near me - that looks even vaguely interesting!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 8:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I don't like schmultzy even if it is based on a true story TNT but my dd's saw it and LOVED it. My 16 yr old sobbed through many parts and they both went to see it again a few days later.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I actually saw it today, and it was okay. No tears from me, but I did hear a few sniffs here and there in the theater!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 8:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
If someone has seen "The Artist," what is the storyline?

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I saw the artist.
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
IT's about an actor who is a huge star in silent films and how he's basically pushed out of the industry, into despair, when the talky movies come along. It's very visual, obviously, whimsical, and moving.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 10:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thank you, Brenda! I may try to hit that one before it leaves town!

Happymom

01-20-2003

Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
Safe House is almost 100% violent action and not much of a psychological thriller (how I thought it would be). It held my interest, but is not my type of movie.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 6:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Hugo 8.5/10

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 6:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Ketchuplover - you must see a ton of movies! I average 6 to 10 a year so I totally respect your opinions@