TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 08, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 08, 2012 users admin

Marysafan

08-07-2000

Monday, January 30, 2012 - 7:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marysafan a private message Print Post    
I saw an interview with the writer of this show and he said that he loves writing for Maggie Smith, because she takes what he writes and makes it 10 times better.

I find the actress that plays Lady Mary so dynamic that it's hard to take your eyes of her when she is on screen. What a great cast!

Csnog

07-18-2002

Monday, January 30, 2012 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
It was a push and pull episode for me.

One man desires a child the other throws the child away.

One mother is hired while the other is shunned.

One person has worry to marry under false circumstances another may marry because of circumstances.

One creates a problem because of power but is protective.

And then there's the dowager.

Request denied, then goes all out over heads and must be torn between the old and the new because she's all about the marriage hunt.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, January 30, 2012 - 3:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just read that Shirley MacLaine will be playing Lady Grantham's mother next season.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, January 30, 2012 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Marysafan - I feel exactly the same way about the actress playing Mary. I think she's amazing.

Was so afraid Daisy might break William's heart. I felt so sorry for her - what a terrible situation to find yourself in.
Even Carson was crying during the wedding.

Maggie Smith was awesome, as usual.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, January 30, 2012 - 5:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
How soon does PBS put up this week's episode for viewing at the website? I saw most of last night's episode but was interrupted a few times.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, January 30, 2012 - 5:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
If you have never seen The Prime Of Miss Jean Brody I thoroughly suggest you do. You will see Maggie Smith in her Oscar winning performance. That was my first introduction to her and I've never forgotten it.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Monday, January 30, 2012 - 5:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
For season 3 Shirley Mc Clain will join the days as Lady Cora's American mother. Maggie Smith and Shirley McClain's characters should be absolutely delicious together.

Riviere

09-09-2000

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 4:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
What a train wreck! MacLaine meets Smith...

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 6:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
If Shirley plays a strong American mother and Maggie plays a strong British mother....wow there will be fireworks for sure.
Csnog, great way you put the ying and yang of the last episode. I wish this show would go on FOREVER.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 7:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
finally caught up, and last episode was a tear jerker.

thx for sharing Marysafan.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 9:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Lady Mary at the bedside of Matthew was so poignant. She held it together until she walked away. Matthew calling Mother... just broke me. I enjoyed it all around.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, February 06, 2012 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Here's an SNL spoof of Downton Abbey as if it were part of spike TV's programming.

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/tv/blogs/tv-buzz-blog.aspx?blog=2080&feat=c3a7f528-4251-421b-8630-975cf14c70ad

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, February 06, 2012 - 1:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Last night's episode was not as good as prior ones, but still so much fun to watch. Loved how Maggie Smith maneouvered Matthew's mother away from Downton Abbey by almost 'inventing' a cause for her to latch onto. The look on her face when Matthew's mother told Cora was priceless.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, February 06, 2012 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I get my season 2 DVD tomorrow from Amazon. Can't wait to catch up and have a Downton marathon.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, February 06, 2012 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I first saw Downton's creator Jullian Fellows on another PBS show, Monarch of the Glen where he played Killwilllie. Wish he would write a cameo for himself in an episode of Downton.

Maris

03-27-2002

Monday, February 06, 2012 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Kooklie, Maggie Smith makes even a dull episode worth watching. She doesnt even have to say anything, just give that look and I crack up. The way she played Matthew's mother was just priceless.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, February 06, 2012 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Rotech, I loved his character of Killwillie. I was so surprised when I put two and two together and learned that he also wrote Gosford Park. The man has a wonderful talent for writing English stuff just the way I like it.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, February 06, 2012 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
There's a new movie coming out with Judi Dench, Maggie Smith and, I think, the lady who plays Matthew's mother. It's about a group of Brits that move to a 'retirement' community in India. Can't wait to see it. It's The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel’

Csnog

07-18-2002

Monday, February 06, 2012 - 11:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
This seemed like the set-up week.
Setting the stage for the rest of the season.

Sorta the 1/2 mark.

The War ends an era and Life is going to change for some, decisions made.

The glances AT the maid teed me off.

Why was she picked to serve Lord Grantham when she is the lower housemaid?

That would be left to Anna who has served at table.
Where is Ethel in this storyline going, compared to Jane?

Cora was correct to want Robert to have grandchildren.

We were left to believe the storyline is going one way when it's going another.

The beginning of the episode forewarns us of the Spanish Flu that came after the war.

Was that Cora fighting it in the previews?

Learning that Matthew "felt" something points to another direction or does it?

Will Bates ever catch a break and why did he say "I wish she was the former, or at least the late"?

I adore Judith Dench and still watch... As Time Goes By.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 7:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Julian Fellows is also a Life Peer of the Realm. He's truly a Lord something or other and is qualified to be in the House of Lords, at least I think that's what I've read. I've never seen Gosford Park. I will have to rent it.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 8:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
OMG, As Time Goes By is one of my favorite Britcoms Csnog. I've been hooked on Britcoms and British Drama forever. Thank you PBS and BBC America.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I've always had a thing for all things English. Even long before I knew I'm of 100 percent British extraction by way of Cornwall when the miners came to the US to mine coal. And, yes, I am a coal miner's daughter. My dad died in a mine cavein.

Redpen

07-24-2003

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 8:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
It seemed that burned young man really was Patrick, yet he left because he knew they'd never believe him. I hope he comes back. How sad.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
My DD doesn't for a minute think he is Patrick. I'm still on the fence.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
How long did "Patrick" say he was in Canada? Could he really lose his British accent and adopt a Canadian accent in just a few years? Now you all have me doubting that he is Patrick.