TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 29, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 29, 2012 users admin

Riviere

09-09-2000

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
Mary should take that offer! The rich lord said they had all the right things in common...

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I was a little confused as to how Thomas ended up at the front. I thought the whole purpose of his plan of talking with the doctor before he quit Downton Abbey was to stay home? Did I miss an explanation of that?

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 6:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
yea Bates is back, he is one of my favorite characters.

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 6:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
Scout: I think he thought that joining the medical corps would keep him out of the fighting, but of course it didn't and he was sent to the front with the medical team. I guess he took the coward way out and shot himself in the hand to get back home.

I really don't like Thomas at all.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 11:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I have to tell you guys, I thought I didn't even get this show. When I first saw this thread start, I title searched in my comcast guide for "Downton Abbey" and got zero results.

Now I noticed tonight it's listed under the title "Masterpiece Classic", and you only know it's Downton Abbey by reading the synopsis.

I thought I would mention it for anybody else that couldn't find it.

Marysafan

08-07-2000

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 8:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marysafan a private message Print Post    
Loved this week's episode! It brought tears to my eyes. Love Mr. Bates and Matthew and William. Glad to have them all home.

I am going to share something with you all because it says so much about my husband. I haven't told anyone here so this may come as a surprise, but I am presently going through chemotherapy and of course as a result of that, I am losing my hair (most of it is gone). I haven't allowed my husband to see me without a hat since it started falling out.

We were watching Downton Abbey last week, when Mr. Bates and Anna meet. She asks him how he likes her hair as she had been using Lady Mary's curling iron.

Mr. Bates replies that when he looks at her, he sees her through eyes of love, and her hair doesn't matter.

My husband turns to me and says, "Did you hear that? He's exactly right. That's exactly how I feel. I don't care one bit about your hair, you will always be beautiful to me."

Brought tears to my eyes. Love love love Mr. Bates

Marameko

07-14-2002

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
God Bless you ALWAYS Mary for sharing something so very personal. What a wonderful man.......the kind that should be cloned.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
(((Mary)))
Bless you and your sweet husband!

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 4:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Aww Mary, what a lovely thing for him to say. Even when we know such things deep down, having someone voice it is so special. All my best to you.

Maris

03-27-2002

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 4:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Very nice Mary. I love Mr. Bates as well and i totally cannot stand Matthew's mother, bleech.

Maggie Smith is just unbelievable, I adore her.

Mimi

04-30-2009

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mimi a private message Print Post    
I love this show. I hope Thomas gets a white feather for cowardice. He and O'Brien are a couple of bullies, although O'Brien does have some redeeming qualities.

Mary your husband sounds like a fantastic guy! My fingers are crossed for you.

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 6:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
(((Mary))) You do indeed have a most lovable and kind DH, you must tell him that he made all of us sigh with a big "aaahhhh" at his sweet loving words. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Maggie Smith is a treasure.... the looks she gives as part of her performance are priceless.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 9:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
Unfortunately, Thomas won't get a white feather since he has served, and still does.

My Dad got a white feather when he wasn't in uniform because he was doing secret government work. Some of those officious women were just plain ignorant.

If Isobel outlives the earl, she'll be the new earl's Mama, so Cora better watch out. Isobel was so great last season and now suddenly she's so ridiculous. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Scout

01-19-2005

Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Terolyn.
Puzzled - I don't like what they've done to Isobel's character this season, either. Last year, she did push for what she thought was right, but why would she assume she could rule Downton Abbey over the owners? Neither that, nor the Thomas coming back storylines have really made sense, but this last episode felt much more on track than the first two.

I love Mrs. Patmore and her helping the other cook with the soup kitchen. She's mellowed a lot since she has her eyesight back.

I wish Mary would just tell Matthew how she feels. Although, honestly, I don't know why he would take her back when she wouldn't marry him the first time when there was a chance he wouldn't inherit.
It seems that Daisy is beginning to care more for William. They are both so sweet, I'd love to see them together.

Love Mr. Bates so much. And Marysafan - sounds like you have a wonderful Mr. Bates of your own.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 3:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
They keep showing Matthew taking Mary's keepsake/Lucky charm with him on missions. My bet is that the one time he doesn't take it ...

Csnog

07-18-2002

Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 8:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
Warm wishes Mary for a speedy recovery..It's wonderful to have a love such as yours.

I have to admit I know some of the rest of the season.

Mr. Bates is not going to tread an easy road.

Maggie is a treasure and she has the best lines.

I ran across a tribute to her top ten well written humor in the series.

It's confirmed there is a series 3.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Friday, January 27, 2012 - 6:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa for a third season.

Riviere

09-09-2000

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 5:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
Didn't O'Brien cause Cora to miscarry a son? It stays in my mind somehow.
Thomas knew Bates was onto him as a sneak thief, now he's some 'war hero' for being shot in the hand, lording it over the other servants. They sure did a lot of mean things for status among their own class!

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 5:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, O'Brian dropped a bar of soap next to Cora's bath, hoping she would slip on it and miscarry the baby, which she did.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 5:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
the actress that plays O'Brian does her part very well because I can't stand her or Thomas, they both cause a mess of trouble and I can't wait for them to be found out.....grrrrrr......

Mimi

04-30-2009

Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 6:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mimi a private message Print Post    
Csnog I too know some of what is coming. I read some info not realizing it was about season 2. Stopped before I read it all but I do know what is coming for a bunch of characters.

Thomas used to play Liam on Coronation Street before Tony had him murdered.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
Wow, Mimi, I didn't recognise him at all, but now that you mentioned it, I see the resemblance.

Csnog

07-18-2002

Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
I thought he looked familiar.

I've been a Corrie addict since the late 60's.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 10:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Maggie Smith was exceptionally conniving tonight. Loved when she 'convinced' the vicar to marry William and Daisy.