TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 11, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 11, 2012 users admin

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
I know there are a lot of fans of this show--new season starts this evening on PBS. :-)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/downtonabbey/

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Loved the first season...I hope it holds up.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I've been waiting for this as well. I really enjoyed Season 1.

(Doc Martin Season 1 started on PBS Saturday. I've seen season 3,4 and 5 just started on a Cdn channel, but I had never seen the first couple of seasons. I really like that show as well.)

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
if anyone else is in canada, be aware its on a few times. Here it repeats at 3am on Friday night.'

Roteach

06-01-2003

Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 6:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Here in Boston they run the same episode back to back on Sunday night. Good thing as I don't get to the upstairs TV to see it until after 10. Does PBS have the episodes up for viewing later in the week in case I am too tired to stay up?

Reenie

06-24-2006

Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 7:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I am crushed. I have DISHTV and for some reason, PBS here has not renewed their contract.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
Oh my goodness I absolutely loved this episode....sooooo much drama!!!!!! There were so many cast members that I wanted to give a shake to.....

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I can't wait!

Marameko

07-14-2002

Monday, January 09, 2012 - 5:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
I love everything this show........even the music is beautiful.

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Monday, January 09, 2012 - 7:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
I'd never even heard of this show until they mentioned it on the latest episode of Chuck. Then I come here and find it's got a pretty big following. Probably go grab this on DVD this week.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, January 09, 2012 - 8:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I missed the beginning of it but the part that I saw was wonderful as always.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Monday, January 09, 2012 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
So far, IMO, Season 2 is at least as good as Season 1.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, January 09, 2012 - 12:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Season 2 has gotten a lot of good press in the Boston Globe. That's a very good thing.

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Monday, January 09, 2012 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
Reenie, don't depair; Amazon.com currently reflects that the DVD of Season 2 will be released on February 7, 2012 -- before PBS even finishes broadcasting Season 2.

(That's probably because Season 2 already aired in the U.K. between September and November, 2011.)

Also, Wikipedia reports that a third season already has been comissioned, and will air in September, 2012 -- which probably means Season 3 will air in the U.K. in September, and in the U.S. a year from now.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, January 09, 2012 - 4:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Daydreamer - thank you so much for that info!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, January 09, 2012 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I was a bit disappointed with last nights episode. There were parts that I thought dragged, although, overall I'm glad it's back.

I think I missed Bates in the 2nd half of the episode most of all. I do not like Thomas and did not watching the war scenes at all, probably because of their realism. I love Matthew and Lady Mary storyline. It's so British in nature.

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Monday, January 09, 2012 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
I find the actress who plays Lady Sybil to be stunningly beautiful. Nice girl too, in the series. I enjoy the cattiness between Lady Mary and her sister Edith. They are terrible to each other! Much more so last season.

I enjoy the "downstairs" action a bit more than the upstairs. The servants have interesting lives.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, January 09, 2012 - 5:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Lady Sybil is the youngest one right? Both her and Mary are really pretty. When Mary is in the scene, I notice her more than anyone else.

The servants are very manipulative of the people upstairs ! They know how to get what they want.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, January 09, 2012 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Enjoyed every minute of it. The scenery, the settings, the music, the stories. I will miss Mr Bates though. Poor Anna, his wife was a piece of work.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Monday, January 09, 2012 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I hope Mr Bates comes back! If that was his exit from the show it was too swift, I'm hoping there's more to the story, especially now the main guy knows he was protecting Mary's honour.

I find the war scenes very hard to watch too, even the talk about it. They all seemed so noble and brave then. I know people are still going through similar things nowadays but somehow then death seemed so inevitable. Stiff upper lip or no stiff upper lip, I'm not sure I could send a loved one off to war and not be a complete wreck 24/7.

And very touching stories about those who wanted to go to war and couldn't, and those who didn't and worked out ways around it.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I kept hoping Bates would strangle his wife and get away with it. I'm pretty sure Bates is going to be back after his wife meets with a tragic 'accident'. I hope.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Yes OG, perhaps during a bombing raid...awful thought but she didn't appear to have any redeeming qualities.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I've forgotten, where did Bates get any money?

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
Bates's mother died; old Mrs. Bates owned her own home in London, and he inherited that house.

(We had seen that house when Anna (who had accompanied the cook to London for the cook's eye surgery), visited Mrs. Bates, and thereby learned how Bates pretended to be the thief of his regiment's silver, to preserve his wife's honor.)

When Bates "proposed" to Anna he had suggested that they might rent that house for a while, then eventually sell it, leave Downton Abbey, and buy a B&B they would run.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 8:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Thanks, DD, I'd forgotten all that.