TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
True Detective

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: True Detective users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, January 14, 2024 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Season 4 starts tonight, Jan 14, on HBO!

For anybody that doesn't know, it's an anthology, so every season is a whole new cast and story. You don't have to have seen the previous seasons to enjoy this season.

Season 4 synopsis says:
"The season is set in the fictional town of Ennis, Alaska, and follows the investigation behind the disappearance of eight men from a research station. The season stars Jodie Foster and Kali Reis as Detectives Liz Danvers and Evangeline Navarro. It is the first season to carry a subtitle, Night Country. "

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, January 14, 2024 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yes! I can't wait! They are saying this might be the best season yet. It's at least as good as the first. Love any time I get to see Jodie

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, January 17, 2024 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I thought the first episode was a bit dull, however, things are just getting started. I am a Jodi Foster fan and like her character so far. Kali Reis not so much but early days. I disliked the soundtrack and found it distracting.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Tuesday, February 06, 2024 - 12:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
This hard to watch at times. The cold, the mental illness of some, abd the deaths of those men, make fkr a lot of chaos! Love watching Danvers and Navarro slowly warming up to each other.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, February 06, 2024 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think it's interesting, but not particularly enjoyable.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, February 18, 2024 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I can't believe the finale is tonight! There's one part of the story I don't understand so I have to go back an straighten it out before I watch the finale.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, February 19, 2024 - 1:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I am hooked. I started earlier and I’m about to start episode five. I need to know what the bleep is going on. I also need to sleep.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, February 19, 2024 - 9:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
That was a very good finale. This is the first time I have made through an entire season of True Detective. I have so many thoughts about that ending so I can't wait until someone else finishes. I read where you can take that final scene three different ways - it's up to you, the viewer, to choose what you think is real.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, February 19, 2024 - 9:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I thought it was a satisfying ending. I wasn't sure how I would like this season as it went along. I'm not a ghost believer, so I was relieved the ending was something I could believe.

As for the very ending, I feel like she is alive and well out there, possibly she keeps in touch with Foster's character. Or maybe not -- maybe it just represents Foster's spiritual growth. So I picture her living somewhere new, maybe somewhere warm -- You wouldn't take your bedding if you weren't planning on living.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, February 19, 2024 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I still didn't really understand what happened to the scientists. Yes, the women scared them off into the ice, and it makes sense they would have huddled together for warmth if perhaps they couldn't find their way off, but weren't they all distorted and twisted together when they were found?

And I don't think they resolved how/why the tongue was there.

And the younger deputy, Hanks's son, just seemed so quick to kill his dad, and then completely okay with dealing with the body. Weird, but then there was a whole lot of weird.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, February 19, 2024 - 10:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
yeah, the tongue thing was not addressed. That is probably the biggest gaping hole.

The son was quick to pull the trigger to save Foster's character. I think he had grown fond of her as a role model and mentor. And his dad was very abusive to him, so no loss there. I don't think he was completely okay. He was obviously really stressed out, and the old lady warned him this would basically haunt him forever.

Spear

08-05-2001

Monday, February 19, 2024 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spear a private message Print Post    
EW interview with the showrunner Issa Lopez:
https://ew.com/true-detective-night-country-finale-burning-questions-8581686

Chieko

11-20-2003

Monday, February 19, 2024 - 1:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chieko a private message Print Post    
I don't think they resolved how/why the tongue was there.

And was the symbol ever explained other than implying it was similar to an orange peel? The only explanation was they were warning signs of thin ice.

Chieko

11-20-2003

Monday, February 19, 2024 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chieko a private message Print Post    
Now I've lost my notes about the next series I planned to watch. It was also about a murder mystery in an arctic type location with a young female protaganist. Sound familiar to anyone?
Darm streaming I lose track of what provider. I think it was Hulu or could be Amazon Prime.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, February 19, 2024 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
The symbol was overhead in that ice cave thing -- it looked like bones or something? But yes, not sure why the initial murder victim had that as a tattoo.
It's kind of frustrating when they leave some of these things unanswered. And I don't need concrete answers all of the time, but it's like they forget things that seemed so important. Seems like the symbol meant something to the indigenous people.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, February 19, 2024 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think they said the symbol was older than Ennis. I took it that when it occurred naturally (like with the orange peel) it was kind of an omen, or reminder that there are bigger forces out there.

Chieko, this maybe?
https://abc7chicago.com/hulu-a-murder-at-the-end-of-world-emma-corrin-clive-owen/14058600/

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, February 19, 2024 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Chieko - Could it have been Cardinal on Hulu with Billy Campbell? There's a woman who is assigned to work with him and you aren't sure what her intentions are at first? I watched that series last month and thought it was very good. There are only four seasons with 6 episodes each. I ended up binging it over a few weeks. And you're right, it's craziness trying to remember what show is on what streaming service. Or it's my age, LOL!

As for TD, I was satisfied with the symbol being explained as an indigenous symbol for dangerous thin ice. It could have originated with a story about what was seen in the cave and then used as a symbol to warn hunters.

Good point, Brenda, that you wouldn't take your bedding if you didn't plan to live. Or she just wanted to leave the place as it was when she arrived? I'm happy with any of the possibilities.

I really didn't care for Navarro or the actress playing her at first but really came to like her. I also thought Prior understood the gravity of what happened but also understood the consequences if he didn't act on what the women said. Sometimes in the middle of a crisis, you have to put emotion aside knowing that later you will have to deal with it.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, February 19, 2024 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Yep, binged Murder at the End of the World too, lol. I think I have watched too many dark shows during this winter and need a lot of light stuff now.

Chieko

11-20-2003

Tuesday, February 20, 2024 - 12:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chieko a private message Print Post    
Yes, it was Murder at the end of world. Thanks for the reminders. Kappy, now I'm going to have to look into Cardinal, also. Thanks for bringing it up. I know what you mean about too many dark shows this winter, True Detective being literally that. I don't think I could live somewhere without daylight for that long and just surrounded by ice. It was really so depressing. Thanks for the great discussion, everyone.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: