TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Star Trek: Strange New World

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Star Trek: Strange New World users admin

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, June 18, 2023 - 9:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Starting discussion thread..

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, June 19, 2023 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I'm gonna wait till the whole season drops. I forget too much week to week and like to be able to go to the next episode.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, June 19, 2023 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I forgot which crew these guys were, and then I forgot what time period they were in (apparently they're after the first two seasons of Discovery). And I forgot what happened to Spock after his wild haired days on Discovery.

BUT I do really like this cast, it just takes me a while to get the stories straightened out between shows.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, June 19, 2023 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Happy to see a thread for this!

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Tuesday, June 20, 2023 - 6:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Kitt...I too have a hard time sorting out the details of the when/where/who details. Luckily my daughter has just watched all; TNG, Picard, Voyageur, Prodigy, Discovery and Lower Decks so she can help me get up to speed quickly.

I really enjoyed this first episode of season 2, like Picard season 3, you can tell they spent some money on it.

There is a bit of everything; flying scenes, testosterone filled characters, strong estrogen filled characters, fighting, space/flying scenes, sadness and humour.

Looking forward to next weeks episode!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, June 20, 2023 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Not enamoured of this show. I find most of the cast boring. Sorry!!! But will try to hang in there. Love the addition of Carol Kane as Pelia, she's a hoot. (Also like the doctor and the nurse.) The Captain and Spock... meh.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Tuesday, June 20, 2023 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
I too like the new addition of Carol Kane as Pelia. She gives me flashes of the character Vadek from season 3, Picard. Touch of crazy for sure! LOL

The captain doesn't excite me but I do like Spock. Seen some of his interviews and is such a nice guy.

I can't stand the doctor, the way he speaks and his raspy voice is hard to hear sometimes. I do like the nurse though.

Vancouvergirl

06-18-2022

Tuesday, June 20, 2023 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vancouvergirl a private message Print Post    
Yes the new episode was awesome! Honestly I’m not sure why people on other social platforms were bored by it.

For anyone confused, my understanding of the timeline of the show is as follows:

The show takes place after Discovery Season 2 (the show flung it’s self to the far future now though so it doesn’t exist at the same time.) That’s why in the pilot Spock has a line about missing his sister (Michael Burnham). Both of these shows are set 10 years before the TOS era, that’s why a lot of the set design mirrors the original series.

The crew has some member’s from Kirk’s enterprise but with lower ranks than seen in the original series since the show is like a prequel.

I like almost all the characters in the show and how we get to see the crew having fun while doing their jobs. I think Spock, Ortegas & Chapel were my favourites but now Pelia is absolutely my favourite. The way she talks and her mannerisms cracks me up. She may be one of my favourite characters in all of Star Trek. Totally agree that she has a touch of Vadic chaos to her.

The only character I don’t like is M’benga. I struggle to understand him, also I personally just find him kind of cringe and annoying. Sorry to anyone who likes him, that’s just a trek hot take from me. 😅😂

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, June 20, 2023 - 11:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
That's helpful, thanks Vancouvergirl.

Because of how modern the show is, even with their nods to a more TOS set and clothing, I find it hard to think of it as chronologically before TOS. It's odd to see the younger TOS characters so different from how they were/will be!

Thatgirlayvan

06-20-2023

Thursday, June 22, 2023 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Thatgirlayvan a private message Print Post    
Have you guys seen this week's episode? I think it's one of my favorite episodes of Strange New Worlds.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, June 22, 2023 - 4:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I should watch tonight or tomorrow night!

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Thursday, June 22, 2023 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Welcome to TV Clubhouse Thatgirlayvan!

Loved tonight's episode!!! Sent a great message. That's why I love Star Trek!! Even tries to educate people through entertainment.

Thought it was funny when Spock apologized for his "outburst" that wasn't an outburst at all to us that do not know Vulcan's. LOL

Oh edited to add, it was over an hour long, 1.15 min.

Vancouvergirl

06-18-2022

Thursday, June 22, 2023 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vancouvergirl a private message Print Post    
Glad I could help clear up the timeline confusion for some of you! It took me a while to get it straight myself, but I think what’s important to remember when trying to sort it out in your head is that the production timeline of shows is not the same as the in universe canon timeline.

Got an hour into tonight’s new episode but unfortunately couldn’t finish it as I had to rush off to work. Looking forward to finishing it tonight. I think it really is a good example of how Star Trek is for intellectuals. They crafted a very political storyline with great nuance. This episode really did mirror current society in a futuristic world which is what Star Trek is all about.

I’m even more satisfied with how they even managed to package a few funny moments in the episode. The Spock apologizing for his outburst and Ortegas narrating the conversation was a highlight for me too.

Also awesome to see ThatGirlLayVan made it here! Welcome to TV Clubhouse

Thatgirlayvan

06-20-2023

Friday, June 23, 2023 - 11:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Thatgirlayvan a private message Print Post    
Thank you everyone for the welcome!

No Spoilers:

I loved this episode so much! Loved all the new characters in this episode. It was so well written my goodness I can't wait to rewatch this episode it was so good. And I loved all the reaction shots we got in this episode!
@mizinvanccouver yes that Spock scene was so funny!

Vancouvergirl

06-18-2022

Friday, June 23, 2023 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vancouvergirl a private message Print Post    
Same as @Thatgirlayvan I’ll be rewatching this episode a bunch! 😂

I’ve also noticed that the reaction shots in both the first and second episode have been quite strong.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, June 23, 2023 - 10:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It was a really good episode, reminds me a lot of TNG or that era. And I agree about the reaction shots, not just the reactions themselves, but also when they were paying so much attention that they didn't react.

Btw, Thatgirlayvan, feel free to spoil or talk plot points once an episode has aired. I tend to give a little warning for the first day or so, when people might have forgotten there's a new episode available, but we can talk freely about aired shows in the named show threads. And welcome! :-)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, June 26, 2023 - 8:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Saw ep 2, and must admit I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Vancouvergirl

06-18-2022

Friday, June 30, 2023 - 8:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vancouvergirl a private message Print Post    
Ok, who watched the Canada episode?! Now I really wanna go to Toronto just so I can visit all the spots from the show. I also loved Pelia’s cameo in Vermont. So funny that La’an is the back story of how she became an engineer. Also, does this mean Khan is Canadian now?!

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Saturday, July 01, 2023 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
I did!! But you know that because we watched it together Vancouvergirl!

Fun episode!

Thought it was funny when they were in the "Roots" store and both came out in almost the same outfit!

Her tears at the end were a bit excessive. Had she fallen so in love with Kirk in 2 days (or how long was it??) that she was so relieved he was still alive but sad that he didn't know her?!! Or is there something I'm missing? I could have done without the romance between the two of them.

Good episode overall though.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, July 01, 2023 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Very good episode, but I agree the ending seemed a bit extreme. Also earlier, when they shared a suite, did she almost get in bed with him?! That seemed to come out of nowhere too.

I have a feeling the outfit Kirk changed into was very similar to what Paul Wesley (Kirk's actor) wore on The Vampire Diaries all those years. I might be misremembering, but I thought it might be a little easter egg.

Vancouvergirl

06-18-2022

Tuesday, July 04, 2023 - 9:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vancouvergirl a private message Print Post    
Totally agree with you all that La’an’s reaction at the end seemed a little extreme. How fast could she have really fallen in love? It’s giving the same vibes as a crazy teen going on one date and thinking they are gonna marry that person. I didn’t hate that part of anything, more just got kinda confused. I’ll be curious to see where they go with that relationship, but in my opinion the only relationship in that episode should have been just Kirk & poutine.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, July 05, 2023 - 8:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Living here in Toronto, I got the biggest kick out of the ep. 😁

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Thursday, July 06, 2023 - 5:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Mameblanche....right on!

New episode tonight!!!

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Friday, July 07, 2023 - 5:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Well this episode had more of the original (Shatner) series feels. Not my favourite episode this season but still good. Good story telling.

Vancouvergirl

06-18-2022

Tuesday, July 11, 2023 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vancouvergirl a private message Print Post    
Saw some trailers for the upcoming episode, looks like a fun one so, I’m trying to limit what else I see. 😁😅

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 14, 2023 - 9:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Some parts were really well done this episode, but overall I think maybe it was missing something.

I do enjoy having so many of the cast women, it's unusual to have a group of women behaving like women would behave in the jobs they have. Not a man's idea of how a woman would react.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, July 14, 2023 - 9:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
My favourite episode so far.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, July 23, 2023 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
There was a special, second episode this week, which is a crossover with Lower Decks. It's available on Paramount+, but I don't know how it would work for those of you in Canada. It says it's an early release, so perhaps we won't have a new one this coming Thursday.

Anyway, it was really good! Lots of fun, even for those (me) who can't take the mania of Lower Decks!

Vancouvergirl

06-18-2022

Thursday, July 27, 2023 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vancouvergirl a private message Print Post    
Unfortunately the episode is only available on Crave which is a streaming service that costs extra money so all of us cable users are now a week behind. I’m kind of surprised that they would mess up the release schedule by skipping a week now since the next episode was released today on paramount+. It doesn’t really make sense because there’s gonna be a drought of Trek content due to the strike, but it seems with comic con paramount is doing everything they can to distract from this.

Looking forward to watching the lower decks episode tonight, I’ve been looking forward to it for a long time since I’m a big lower decker!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, July 29, 2023 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Ita Kitt. I haven't got the patience for LOWER DECKS. But this was a fun ep!

Vancovergirl, Apparently there's going to be a musical ep upcoming. Should be fun.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, August 01, 2023 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
In case this info is useful to anyone:

* Effective today, the Canadian version of Paramount+ — which already streams Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Picard — has added all available episodes of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, our sister site Variety reports. The service is also adding all past seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation (on Aug. 8 ), Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (Aug. 15), Star Trek: Voyager (Aug. 22), Star Trek: Enterprise (Aug. 29), and Star Trek: The Animated Series and Star Trek (the original series, Sept. 5).

https://tvline.com/news/super-bowl-2024-nickelodeon-kids-alternate-broadcast-1235021869/

Vancouvergirl

06-18-2022

Friday, August 04, 2023 - 8:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vancouvergirl a private message Print Post    
Both the lower decks and musical episode were amazing! I’m gonna be listening to there musical episode album on loop for the next week. 😂

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, August 04, 2023 - 8:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
LOVED the Musical ep! 🎼

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, August 14, 2023 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Loved both those episodes!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: