TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 31, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: La Brea: Archive through January 31, 2023 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 02, 2021 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It was, but they were, I think.

In North America about 14 feet.

https://www.britannica.com/animal/mammoth-extinct-mammal

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, December 03, 2021 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Yes, it could have been perspective, it just looked so enormous!"

They should have shown that beast next to a quarter to demonstrate it's relative size....like they do in magazine ads for crap like cheap jewelry and "commemorative" spoons or dishes.

mam

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, December 03, 2021 - 3:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Or next to a baked potato as a "serving suggestion" :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, December 03, 2021 - 11:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, July 28, 2022 - 3:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
New season in September.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, September 06, 2022 - 12:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
September 27..

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 28, 2022 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Season premiere was last night. To be honest, I'm struggling with trying to figure out all the twists and turns.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, September 28, 2022 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Me, too.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 28, 2022 - 10:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
And by the way, I thought it was a stupid development that they rescued the girl from the unknown nasty people only to have the blonde captured. And then the guy gives himself up just to be with her? Wouldn't it be better to follow and find a way to get her out?

I'm not sure I can hang in with this show.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Wednesday, September 28, 2022 - 11:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I'm almost there too. Starting out with the review at the beginning. I was thinking, I remember that, but I can't remember the storyline surrounding it. There was/is so much going on with the multiple plots...it's hard for my poor brain to make sense of it all. I love the special effects. That is probably what's keeping me.

I'm betting this either won't get renewed, or if it does, it won't make it past a 3rd season. My husband looked at me last night and said "Do you really like this show?" Lol

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, September 28, 2022 - 11:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Season premiere was last night. To be honest, I'm struggling with trying to figure out all the twists and turns.

LOL I'm happy to hear that because I'm in the same boat. It's just all over the place. Is there a recap summary somewhere?

That scene where that guy (see how well I know the show) killed the boar like creature by throwing a pointed stick at it was ridiculous. It would have just bounced off and he would have had a mildly pissed off boar chasing him around and trying to gore him.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, September 28, 2022 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
We did not last long with La Brea. It was another show that could have been good but just got silly and relied on old tropes.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Wednesday, September 28, 2022 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Jimmer...the beginning of the episode on mine, had a recap. I payed for it on Prime, but assume it had it on live episode? Review refreshed my memory as far as some of the characters. But didn't help much as far as plot.

I had the same reaction to the boar and spear. The spear was throw from far away, up in the air to boot. And a prehistoric boar does not have little pink piggy tender skin.

I would even overlook these things if the plot lines were at least coherent.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, September 28, 2022 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
From what I can remember, with some help from the episode synopses at tvline.com...

Topside (2021):
- sinkhole opens up in La Brea/Los Angeles, sucks down
--- Eve (mom) and Josh (son). Daughter Izzy just escaped and stayed topside, and goes to find her father Gavin. Gavin and Eve had split up. Gavin was an army pilot but has been behaving erratically and drunkenly for a few years because of hallucination (which turned out to be memories) after he crashed his plane near a sinkhole in the Mojave desert, and had either been fired from the army or was on a break.
--- Sam (father and army doctor) and Riley (daughter)
--- Marybeth (mother and police officer) and Lucas (son and drug dealer). These were the two who acted really dodgy, messing things up. She was killed at the end of S1
--- Scott is the one with the vape, who knows a lot about the tar pits
--- Ty was a therapist. He's dying of something (like a brain tumour?)
--- Veronica (strict religious) and Lily (younger "sister" who pretended she couldn't speak). Their "father" was killed by a prehistoric wolf in episode 1, but it turns out he wasn't their father, he'd kidnapped them. Lily is important, see later.
- Levi, an army pilot who was Gavin's best friend but also had an affair with Eve when Gavin went off the rails, manages to get through the rift to help them
- the army call off their official attempts to help as it is too dangerous, and starts earthquakes
- Gavin tries to get the military to help, but they are skeptical because of his history of visions (but also up to something). He finds reports about his crash, and the Mojave sinkhole, and finds out there have been four sinkholes. A DHS person, Dr Sophia Nathan, says they have another plane if he can pilot it, that she and a Dr Rebecca Aldridge have secretly been developing. Dr Nathan had a fiancee who went into the Mojave sinkhole, so she wants to help to try to save her.

Underneath (10,000BC):
. various internal struggles and fights with animals. After a few days they find a Fort and people living there. The Fort's emblem(?) is a red handprint. Silas is grouchy old guy, Paara is the female leader, Isaiah is the boy (important later) and Silas' grandson.
- They find a body at the Fort, of an army man, Levi recognises him as one of the people from the Mojave sinkhole mission who'd not returned, says he was meant to find them. Levi used the radio from the corpse, and got in touch with Sgt Diana Vasquez (Dr Nathan's fiancee), and she'd been living in the Underneath with her crashed plane. Levi and Eve go there to get parts to repair Levi's plane.
- Eve notices the rift is closing and leaves a note in a bottle for Gavin to find in the future/Topside

Topside (2021):
- Gavin finds Eve's note, and knows he has to hurry
- the military find Levi's plane crash, and realise he attempted to eascape and it went wrong. Gavin sends a video message on a drone to warn them.
- Gavin tried to go into the sinkhole, but Dr Aldridge tells him there's an alternative path if he goes "back to the beginning," to November 16 1988. Dr Nathan tells Gavin that on Nov 16 1988, young Gavin was found with a girl, neither with any memories, wandering in Topeka, and both were taken in by CPS. The girl is known as Ella, an artist who features red handprints.

Underneath (10,000BC):
- The Fort female leader Paaara helps Ty. She's the Fort's medicine woman, said they'd been there forever, and Ty and his people weren't the first Skypeople to come. She said the sky lights/cracks open and close, they can't predict them.
- Fort boy Isaiah plays with Lily, cuts his right wrist and gets a scar where Gavin has one... hmmmmm. They take him back to the Fort, and all make friends.
- Paara tells them 60 years ago, a sinkhole formed in the ocean and a passenger ship fell through, and they went to war with the passengers, but eventually came to live in peace there.
- Isaiah tells Eve his parents died in a lake nearby, and he and his granddad only arrived a few years ago, but they're not allowed to talk about it.
- They get word that a woman has taken Isaiah, when they catch up the woman is Dr Aldridge, from 2021 (I missed how she got to 10,000BC). Grandpa Silas won't let Isaiah, but he knows who Dr Aldridge is, and she said she knows how important it is that Isaiah goes with her. Grandpa stabs Aldridge and runs off with Isaiah. Dr Aldridge tells Eve it's important she found Isaiah, and tells her he's Gavin. She says if Isaiah doesn't get to the portal that opens up to 1988, then history will change and Izzy and John will get sick and die.
- Eve, Josh and Levi go after Isaiah, get him from Silas, take him to the portal. Near the portal, Silas appears again and tries to get Isaiah, they're split up, and Isaiah has to go up to the portal alone.

Topside (2021):
- Dr Sophia Newton finds where Ella the artist is, it's near where she and Gavin were found in 1988, tells Gavin, and Gavin and Izzy go there. There's a sinkhole there, and Gavin has a vision of himself as Isaiah talking to his Grandpa.
.- Gavin talks to Ella, manages to prove who they are, and Ella remembers seeing Aldridge before, when Ella was known as "Lily". She says back then Aldridge gave her a map, gets it, and it's a map to the known sinkholes/portals... one is in Seattle (in 10,000BC) that will lead to October 6th 2021, a couple of days away.

Underneath (10,000BC):
- Aldridge tells the main group about the 1988 portal, and they talk about if anyone wants to go. Aldridge talks to Lily.
- Josh is getting ill, so Isaiah jumps into the 1988 portal to save him. Lily wants to go too, after what Aldridge tell her, and teens Josh and Riley take her, but they also get sucked into the portal. So Isaiah, Lily, Josh, Riley go to 1988, which is where we see them in the S2 premiere. Isaiah and Lily got picked up by the nuns, completing their time loop(?), but Josh and Riley are in the wrong time.

Topside (2021):
- Gavin and Ella go to Seattle and through the Seattle sinkhole there, to try to help Eve and Josh, and Ella/Lilly's "sister" in 10,000BC. Izzy went too. This is how they ended up in the Underneath, in Seattle, in the S2 premiere. They're walking towards Los Angeles where they know the others are.

https://tvline.com/tag/la-brea/

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, September 28, 2022 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I tried, but this is just worse than I remembered. They should have all be trampled by the animals by now.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 30, 2022 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It is pretty bad. I did watch the first new episode..

The spear was ridiculous.. It would bounce off the boar. And Rhinos could kill you but the are vegetarian, not carnivores. They would attack if you got near the young but not track and hunt you.

Kitt, that is helpful! I think the kids in 1988 were in Topanga, SO Cal rather than Topeka in BB Kansas.. Autocorrect?

Leaving the note to Buy Apple.. cute, though it should have given more detail.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, September 30, 2022 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, must be Topanga, Sea, I'm not familiar with it so my ears probably heard Topeka :-).

The couple who left pizza in their fridge when going on a trip is just going to buy a nice bag of Fujis :-).

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, September 30, 2022 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Kitt, thanks for the synopsis. it confirmed that this is just too hard for my brain, even with your excellent work!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, October 01, 2022 - 12:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I will keep watching, but not sure how long I'll last.

I mean, i still watch the Bachelor and Bachelorette and so I'm used to wasting my time .. and I multi task during most shows.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, October 01, 2022 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
No problem, Karuuna! I'm going to keep watching, I found it a lot of fun last year, but they do need to scrap a few of the unnecessary dead-ended mysteries and make it more understandable.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, October 01, 2022 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I mean, i still watch the Bachelor and Bacheloretee and so I'm used to wasting my time

Too funny!

(Uh ... I can empathize.)

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, October 05, 2022 - 2:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
This show is so confusing. Curiouser and curiouser.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, January 31, 2023 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Looks like La Brea returns tonight with two back-to-back episodes!

It's not a new season just a continuation of season 2.

I have one main gripe with this show....no one ever gets dirty! (Could you imagine Daryl on TWD showing up with a brand new vest and shirt that's newly laundered and ironed...in every episode?) Even when they had to work in a mine digging up black rocks they somehow didn't get covered in black dust. <SMH>

Because of this oversight (and the bad writing and the ridiculous premise, plus the total lack of using any of the laws of physics) I'll definitely be watching!

It's like the baby of the Flinstones if they married Jurassic Park and had an affair with Gilligan's Island. It's the best, bad, ridiculous Sci-Fi on television that takes itself way too seriously.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, January 31, 2023 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Rotfl that’s a brilliant review!

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, January 31, 2023 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Ahahaha! Love it!

And I just read it hot renewed lol. It's like the Crack Cocaine of bad shows. Are we addicted?