TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
The Winchesters

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Winchesters users admin

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, October 19, 2022 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Well, the Winchesters started last week and I just started watching the second episode and thought maybe I'd promote it here a little.

The Winchesters
https://www.warnerbros.com/tv/winchesters

So far, this is done in the same vein as Supernatural, so it's scary and funny. Not comical funny, more characters who make a lot of cracks and can be sarcastic as they slay vampire and demons and other unlikable creepy-creatures.

Naja, I remember that you once mentioned that you never got into Supernatural, so here's your chance to check out the early years of the Supernatural universe.

The Winchesters is a prequel. It's focused on Dean and Sam's parents, John and Mary, when they first meet and begin their careers as professional monster hunters. Being a prequel, you don't need to have seen the 15 great seasons of Supernatural that takes place in a later timeline than The Winchesters. The only crossover I can think of would be that in Supernatural, the boys once wound up in the past and they met their young parents. That was one episode I think. No one has said it would be shown on TW, but if they wanted to they could connect the two shows with that plotpoint.

Btw, the father (John) on Supernatural was played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan, but it's a younger actor playing John on The Winchesters. Dean and Sam's parents have just met and of course neither Dean or Sam have even been born yet.

Jensen Ackles who played Dean on Supernatural, does some narrating on TW series. I love that they kept the look and the feel and the way characters interact on Supernatural so I have high expectations.

So...it airs on Tuesday nights on the CW. Two eps have already aired (out of 13, I think) but I figure these days it might be fairly easy to track down the first two eps somewhere in the streamin/on-Demand world.

And just think, when this series ends, if you love it you could watch all 15 seasons of the "sequel" series with the grown up Sam and Dean!

Btw, as I recall, when Supernatural first started it took me a couple of eps to get into it....but the characters really grew on me, and they grow as the show grows... That show reached into the past, into heaven and hell (Jacob from "Lost" is Lucifer!) and they even had a Scooby Doo episode and an alternate universe when the hunter-of-monster brothers suddenly found themselves on the set of Supernatural...and the crew treated them like actors not realizing that these guys were real monster hunters in a different universe. Yeah it got a bit META sometimes. There are a couple of apocalypses and Cassius, an angel buddy in a trench coat who was often caught off guard when it came to human behavior that involved jokes, food, drink, sex, etc...

But all that was Supernatural. The Winchesters is basically an origin story of the previous generation of hunters....and it feels fresh and new AND like an old friend all at once to me!

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, October 20, 2022 - 5:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I'll give it a shot, if only for the fact you gave so much into trying to convince everyone. :-)

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, October 20, 2022 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I'm recording it. I tried to watch the original series a while back, but got overwhelmed by just how many episodes there are. I wish I had watched it when it was airing and not had to play "catch up."

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Thursday, October 20, 2022 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I love this show. It's so fun to watch and be immersed in the Supernatural world once again. Also love that it's set in the 70s.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, October 20, 2022 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Naja thumbsup

Btw, after making that post and then watching ep 2 of the Winchesters, I felt compelled to check out ep 1 of Supernatural....I haven't seen it since it started in 2005! It pulled me right back in. It's way more engaging than I remembered...I think I was confusing Supernatural with X-Files, which is the show I remembered as having a non-engaging first ep for me.

Anyhow, Supernatural is on Netflix and maybe also Prime and Vudu.

If you can spare 40 minutes, check out season 1 ep 1. A lot of this show are monster of the week episodes, but there are also some great subplots and major villains that come and go over the years.

<backing away before I push too hard...>

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, October 20, 2022 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I had no idea this was linked to Supernatural.

But as you're talking about Supernatural, I never watched it, as I assumed it was very... supernatural, which I'm not usually a fan of.

Was Supernatural made of X-Files type stories then? I don't mind creepy, or if certain beings (vampires, witches etc.) exist, I just don't like it if I'm trying to think about the logical reason for a plot point and then they tell me it was just magic.

Any idea if I'd like Supernatural?

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Thursday, October 20, 2022 - 5:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I watched the first 6 episodes of Supernatural and it was okay but didn't reel me in. I don't really know why? It kinda was monster of the week...you are right. But for the most part, I love that kind of thing. Maybe I didn't watch far enough into the series to get hooked? I'll probably go back at some point and finish the rest of it, or at least the first season.

I did start watching the Winchester's per Sanfrans recommendation. It pulled me in right away...like a Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Legends did. I also, love that it is set in 70s

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, October 20, 2022 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Was Supernatural made of X-Files type stories then?"

Nope. I just confused X Files with Supernatural because of a few things they had in common. They both were long running series (10+ years), both had a premise based on creatures and weird sci-fi stuff that don't happen in real life, and I was a huge fan of both.

"I just don't like it if I'm trying to think about the logical reason for a plot point and then they tell me it was just magic."

No need to think about figuring out the monsters. There's some magic, but never as a quick resolution to a case....because if you accept werewolves, vamps, ghosts, ghouls, zombie, wendigos, shapeshifters, etc... you've already bought into the supernatural "magic" of the show.

It is more like Buffy than anything. Likable characters you can root for and care about and Supernatural has cute young men instead of pretty young ladies.

Supernatural does have some serious moments that surprise you.

Kitt, I really think you'd like Supernatural. As I suggested above, I say go and invest 40 minutes of your life to watching ep 1 on Netflix and see if it's your "cuppa". :-) That first episode does represent the whole rest of the series....the characters change some as they go and plots come and go, but it sticks pretty much to the style as you see it in ep 1.

My memory tells me that at first it was almost always a monster of the week episode but later in the season or maybe the following ones that it got deeper into the supernatural universe. Whenever it started more story arcs than Monsters of the week it wasn't a sudden shift of the story....it gradually grew into the world we see at the end.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, October 20, 2022 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I did start watching the Winchester's per Sanfrans recommendation. It pulled me in right away...like a Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Legends did. I also, love that it is set in 70s"

Thanks for mentioning Buffy...I was trying to think of something to compare it to but I'd forgotten all about Buffy!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, October 20, 2022 - 8:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Thank you, it sounds like I would like it, although 15 seasons is a bit daunting! Have to think about where to fit it in, coincidentally its main competition to my viewing habits at the moment is Gilmore Girls, which I'm only on Season 2 of, but that has a rather young (but still tall) Jared Padalecki in it.

And I'll catch up with Winchesters, just to confuse myself :-).

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, October 20, 2022 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Gee, it didn't feel daunting when I watched it, although I did watch all 15 seasons, one episode per week, for 15 years. :-)

I've already seen eps 1 and 2 just since I started this thread and I'm behind with my ongoing shows and new shows. In between those other shows I watch I find myself thinking more about Supernatural than the new programs.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Friday, October 21, 2022 - 12:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I am currently watching 5 or 6 series with magical and/or supernatural themes and in historical garb...and sometimes I get confused which series I'm watching...or which character or storyline belongs to which. If I don't finish these before some of the others I watch start up again (Witcher, His Dark Materials, The Umbrella Academy etc.) It's gonna be tough...lol

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, October 21, 2022 - 7:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yep! I don’t think my poor brain would be up to that, I have enough problems telling faces apart as it is!

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Friday, October 21, 2022 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I sometimes have trouble remembering what happened in previous seasons, Partly because of covid sometimes we're waiting 2 years after the last season. But I swear...for example in LA Brea.... There are so many simultaneous plot's going on and so many characters and so many timelines. Sometimes I feel like I'm just watching the pretty pictures go by on the screen and not able to connect all the different storylines... It's a true test of my memory that I am failing lol

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, October 26, 2022 - 6:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Well, I gave it a try and it's not for me. I enjoy spooky or scary supernatural shows, but this is more like superheroes fighting monsters.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Wednesday, October 26, 2022 - 7:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I too have trouble watching LA Brea. There are too many things going on at once,and I've gotten to the point where I dont care if they ever get out of the past

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, October 26, 2022 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I've caught up with two episodes, and so far I'm not enthused but willing to give it one more. I'm not finding much chemistry with the actors, and that one woman's fake English accent is incredibly off-putting.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, October 26, 2022 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
However... I've just watched the first Supernatural and - unless it changes - can see myself getting hooked. The two guys are funny and charming, the story was both creepy and scary, and I even gasped out loud at the ending big moment!

(Also Sanfran, and any other Walking Dead watchers, the older brother did a Negan move, and pre-Negan! I'm going to look for more as the series go on, but it's the first thing I thought when he kind of did a lean backwards swagger! Not sure how often I'll be seeing Jeffrey Dean Morgan in the show, but it'd be funny if he actually got some Negan moves from Jensen Ackles! Or... or... did Jensen see Jeffrey do it and he's the copier!?)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, October 27, 2022 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
" I'm not finding much chemistry with the actors"

I think maybe my opinion of them has been filled in by what I know of them from Supernatural. The boys talk about their parents a lot and how their upbringing made them who they are, plus there were some flashbacks here and there and also some secrets revealed that I know about after getting to know them from a different perspective. Even though the parents aren't "main characters" on Supernatural like the brothers are, they're certainly a major part of the heart of the show.

"However... I've just watched the first Supernatural and - unless it changes - can see myself getting hooked. The two guys are funny and charming, the story was both creepy and scary, and I even gasped out loud at the ending big moment!"

Me too! I was expecting what happened in the first scene in ep 1 but I'd totally forgotten about what happened at the end of it.

When I'm deciding what I want to watch next on TV, I sometimes just watch an episode of Supernatural. I think I'm already up to season 1 episode 11. :-)

" I'm going to look for more as the series go on, but it's the first thing I thought when he kind of did a lean backwards swagger! "

I think that's mainly just Jeffery Dean Morgan doing Jeffery Dean Morgan! :-) My sister met him in a grocery store a couple of years ago and said he has the swagger IRL. He lives in a small town in upstate NY where my sister is. And unfortunately, she has too much class to ask him for an autograph for me. :-(

"and - unless it changes -"

You're in luck. The boys are always the boys....it's the world that changes as they confront mystery after mystery and deal with monsters and other supernatural creatures. You'll love a character named Castiel. Oh yeah...one of the executive producers is named Robert Singer....and a major character named "Bobby Singer" shows up.

Oh yeah...IRL Jason Padelecki married a demon he met on the set. :-)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, October 27, 2022 - 2:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I'm really happy to have another show to watch, it makes the treadmill far easier!

I saw about Jared Padalecki's wife! Oddly enough when I saw that Adriane Palicki was in the first episode I couldn't quite remember her last name and thought maybe it was Padalecki and she was married to him, and when I looked her up that's when I saw Jared was actually married to someone else on the show. I also found out Adriene Palicki is married to Scott Grimes, who stars with her as Malloy in The Orville!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, November 01, 2022 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
They're reporting there will be no back order for the Winchesters, i.e. the season will just be the originally funded 13 episodes, with no extension to the full 22 episodes.

This doesn't mean it will be cancelled but it's usually not a good sign.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, November 02, 2022 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I just finished watching ep 4 of TW. Since this show started I had trouble accepting John on TW (Drake Rodger) as being a younger version of John on Supernatural (Jeffrey Dean Morgan)...but something hit me after the battle in the jungle in this episode. The actor playing young John actually resembles Jason Padalecki. They have similar "ski lope" noses when seen in profile and sometimes when he's looking towards the camera, I'd swear I'm looking at Padalecki for a second.

"They're reporting there will be no back order for the Winchesters, i.e. the season will just be the originally funded 13 episodes, with no extension to the full 22 episodes."

They could just want to hedge their bets...like maybe the price of fake blood has skyrocketed and they want to wait until inflation stabalizes before committing to more eps! :-)

Yeah, chopping episodes from season 1 is not a good sign....but on the bright side, TW did prompt me to rewatch ep 1 of Supernatural, which got me re-hooked. :-) Supernatual had a great ending that wrapped up everything so it didn't need a sequel, but the prequel is fun for me. It's not a replacement for Supernatural, it's more like a visit to Supernatural-World.

And who knows? Maybe it'll still find a fan base sometime in the next 9 weeks. I think the fact that Sam and Dean were brothers made it easy to see their connection/relationship....but on TW, the two main characters are strangers that just met. We'd have to see them get to know one another and grow before their relationship becomes as close as Sam and Dean's.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, November 02, 2022 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I noticed the Jared Padalecki similarity too. It might be too fighty for me - I like the scares and creepiness without the fighting - but I am sticking with it for now.

I am really enjoying Supernatural though. I like how the older brother is the one who forces them into things, but yet it's the young one who gets hooked into solving the case and wants to fix things for everyone. I wish I'd watched it 17 years ago when it started then I wouldn't feel quite as icky for adoring the young one.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, November 02, 2022 - 7:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I wouldn't feel quite as icky for adoring the young one."

Awwww...don't feel icky. I don't! ;)

"I like how the older brother is the one who forces them into things, but yet it's the young one who gets hooked into solving the case and wants to fix things for everyone."

Dean's got a heart, too, although he'd be the last person in the world to admit it. On the outside he's a beer drinking, hamburger eatin', ladies man, but deep DEEP down he's just a beer drinking, hamburger eatin' teddy bear.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, December 08, 2022 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I'm quite enjoying The Winchesters now, it's much more talk and much fewer unnecessary fights. The biggest issue I have with it is still the science girl's crazy attempt at an English accent, at least I assume that's what she's trying to do. It's very very bad.

That John doesn't remind me of the other John, from Supernatural. I'm surprised they didn't choose someone like him, or even someone more like Dean, rather than like Sam. Or maybe when I've watched more Supernatural I'll think he's a better fit. Right now I'm close to the beginning of S2, and >>spoiler<< has just happened, so I don't know how much I'll be seeing of a certain someone going forward. I see he is still in the credits in some episodes.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, December 09, 2022 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
" Right now I'm close to the beginning of S2"

I'm happy you are keeping up with it. It takes so many twists and turns! There is no way to ever know what's coming...and even if you do guess an upcoming plot or twist, it still won't be what you expect.

I agree with your observation about the young John on TW, but I just try and remember that finding a young Jeffrey Dean Morgan must be next to impossible.

Have you met "Bobby Singer" yet? He's the character that was named after one of the executive producers and he's a fan favorite. You'll recognize the actor because he's been in a million other shows since Supernatural. Everybody loves "Bobby".

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, December 09, 2022 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yep, met Bobby! He's been in two episodes I've seen, I think. He's very familiar from other things, it's always fun with these "old"(!) shows to see people you know now in unexpected roles.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, December 27, 2022 - 10:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Kitt. looks like you're ahead of me on my rewatch of Supernatural. I just finished the finale of season 1. (I've only seen Bobby Singer in one ep so far and you've seen him in two.)

Dang, as much as I liked this show before, I swear it's SO much better than I remembered. I remembered s01 as being mostly just monster of the week eps, so I was delighted to see that the backstory has progressed as much as it has. I hadn't remembered it as being so film noir-ish as it is either... maybe it lightens up in later seasons which are fresher in my memory.

Anyhow, I can't wait for a whole host of upcoming characters and plot pivots to pop up. So very much happens in this series, I have no idea of most of the chronology of upcoming new events on the horizon....I hope they surprise me earlier than expected as much as the ending of season 1 did. I had thought this stuff in the finale had happened in the 2nd or even 3rd season.

Time to start season two. I gotta hurry if i want to finish the s02 premiere before I turn 72...in about an hour and 10 minutes! Heck, hope I live long enough to finish this entire rewatch! :-)

BTW - Should we be discussing Supernatural in the old Supernatural thread instead of in The Winchesters prequel thread? There are some spillover events between the two.

I'm game for the move if you are...you just need to be careful about reading upthread in the Supernatural thread, considering the whole thing is one looong spoiler for a newbie....or, I guess, a forgetful old coot like me!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, December 27, 2022 - 11:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, I will try to resist reading back in the Supernatural thread and move to there for Supernatural talk. :-)

Happy Birthday . Hope you enjoyed the S2 premiere!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, December 31, 2022 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the cake! :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: