TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 23, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: House of the Dragon (on HBO): Archive through August 23, 2022 users admin

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, August 21, 2022 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
As Maris reminded us in the HBO thread, this starts tonight on HBO.

It's described as the story of the House Targaryen set 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones.

I was very disappointed with the final season and ending of Game of Thrones so I will be watching rather reluctantly.

Maris

03-27-2002

Sunday, August 21, 2022 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Anyone turning on the Dragon show tonight on HBO Max?

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, August 21, 2022 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
yes! So excited!

Maris

03-27-2002

Sunday, August 21, 2022 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
me too.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, August 21, 2022 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thank you for the reminder. I will reluctantly be watching.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, August 21, 2022 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Nope.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, August 21, 2022 - 2:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Did you watch Game of Thrones, Sea? Just curious whether or not you are completely not a fan or just disillusioned (like me).

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, August 21, 2022 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Above six posts moved here from the HBO thread.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 21, 2022 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I am so excited!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, August 21, 2022 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I have to confess that I'm pretty excited too.

Maris

03-27-2002

Sunday, August 21, 2022 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Thanks Jimmer for setting up thread.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 21, 2022 - 6:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Matt Smith looks so weird with that Targaryen white hair! I had to look close to be sure it was even him.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, August 21, 2022 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I read that it isn't necessarily to have watched Game Of Thrones to understand House of the Dragon. Do you guys agree? Will I be lost?

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, August 21, 2022 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I didnt like Matt Smith. He remined me more of Lordof the Rings with pointy ears. I think they could have gotten sexier men for many of the male roles.

It was a really good 1st ep but I was disappointed in the dragons. I feel the spfx in GOT dragons was far superior and it was years ago. You would think they would look even better on this show.

I also found many scenes too dark to see, almost like the big battle in GOT where we had to have someone on youtube brighten up the scenes to see the actual battle.

Maris

03-27-2002

Sunday, August 21, 2022 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Agree about the darkness Pamy, also had difficulty understanding what they were saying sometimes. It shows promise.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, August 21, 2022 - 9:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh, completely not a fan. I made it through I think one (possible two) episode and I just don't enjoy violence. So I never got hooked.

I have heard any number of people say they were disappointed in the last season or seasons so I gather there must have been favorite characters done wrong.

I imagine that had I watched all the way I'd have mixed emotions but maybe watch.

I do love dragons.

What Pamy said just above about dark scenes. I have never liked that sort of video, even with younger eyes and now when I'm needing cataract surgery, I imagine that would be even harder to handle.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, August 22, 2022 - 8:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I thought maybe I missed where it was too dark, but I just went through it and everything seems ok to me.

But one thing I do agree with....The lack of handsome men. They were all over the place in GOT.

One thing about the darkness. I watch ghost hunting shows and every time they would put footage of a "ghost" capture on the screen, I just couldn't see it. It went that way for a couple years. Finally, I turned the brightness up a couple notches and I could see them. I was pissed I hadn't done that sooner.

eta: I think the story is fantastic, as well as the dragons! I'm pretty sure they aren't going to blast us with the best of the dragons in the first couple eps.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, August 22, 2022 - 11:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I haven’t watched yet but, I plan to. 🐉

Denecee

09-05-2002

Monday, August 22, 2022 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
I will be watching too, just late to the party.

Maris

03-27-2002

Monday, August 22, 2022 - 5:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
The beginning was dark. I kept trying to remember where I saw the uncle before and then I realized he was the actor who played Prince Edward in the film The Kings Speech.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, August 22, 2022 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I was confused on some of the names. Was one guy named Aegon? I thought that was Jon Snow. Was he named after someone 200 yrs later?

I think I need to google the Targaryen family tree LOL

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, August 23, 2022 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I never watched Game of Thrones. I was considering starting watching the series and then saw that House of Dragon was coming out. So I thought I'll wait, since it's a prequel and watch that first, then watch the series.

I'm halfway through the first episode. Let me say, while I love any kind of series with Dragons or mythology or ancient times in it.. I don't know if I'll be able to get through this series.

There has been so much graphic violence so far...it's making me cringe. I already dislike shows that use animals in it especially horses. Making them fall or roll... is not what I want to see. The stabbing of the horse with the joist was where I stopped watching. I get it's just tv but nonetheless it disturbs me

When they were cutting all the body parts off, was that a male appendage? I couldn't tell thankfully, because it is indeed filmed very dark... even though I have my television on Vivid and maximum brightness. I can't imagine somebody that's watching this with a TV that doesn't have those options adjusted.

So just asking you all, is this episode representative of the whole series. Or are they just going all out on the first episode? I'm usually semi-immune to most of the violence nudity and in general ill manners of most of these series. And I do understand that that time period reflects mostly that. The animal cruelty... even if it's fake usually bothers me somewhat though. Example being on The Walking Dead I do not like when the Walkers eat a horse or the Tiger or whatever. But that is infrequent enough for me to forgive an otherwise good series. Walkers being stabbed in the head do not bother me in the least.

So just asking if this first episode is "more" than usual? Or if this is par for the course for every episode?

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, August 23, 2022 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The prequel has more meaning if you watch GOT first.

And this seemed par for the course. Lots of sex and violence.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, August 23, 2022 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The GOT story (at least the part that GRRM wrote) is very good but as Naja says, there is a lot of nudity, sex and violence. I found the TV series much more visceral than the books. For example, in the books the author would say a certain character is visiting a brothel, without including a lot of detailed description. In the show, we actually see the brothel.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, August 23, 2022 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Well, if the story is worth it...I might forge on. The book is usually better in most cases.

I'm going to try supplementing it with Taran's recap. He also is including parts of the book, I understand. Maybe that will make it intriguing enough to offset the parts that I find less compelling