TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 13, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The View: Archive through February 13, 2022 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 10:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
As a Jewish woman who likes Ms. Goldberg, although I was deeply offended by her initial stance, I feel her 2 week suspension is unjustified. Because she was genuinely contrite and not only admitted to her initial ignorance, her contrition was evident by her interviewing a Jewish author and expert on the subject, to not only educate herself, but her audience. That is commendable, IMHO.

I am a firm believer in letting the punishment fit the crime. There was no 'crime' as her comments didn't come from a place of hate.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 1:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I can't help but think that they took off the air the only black woman on the show for 1/2 of Black History month. Coincidence? Where did they come up with 2 weeks in the first place?

The other thing is, is that it seems that Whoopi meant no harm and was willing to learn from her misunderstanding, but ABC has effectively shut down any discussion of this and swept it under the rug. When you see on the news on tv that 60% of kids today basically don't know anything about the holocaust, and now books are being banned about it, maybe there should be more discussion about it.

Joy Reid had a good segment about it last night. The expert she had on said there's a European conception of race and an American conception.

Here's a link to the segment.

Link

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 3:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
Long read about race/ethnicity/whiteness/

https://jwa.org/teach/livingthelegacy/american-jews-race-identity-and-civil-rights-movement

One point from karuuna’s post, scientists have labeled DNA as Jewish….so whatever that means for ethnicity you can’t change your dna. Not the same as Judaism being the religion. I am overwhelmingly Jew per DNA, but don’t fall into the religious definition of Jew per never practicing it nor having a mother who was Jewish. Those in America will think virtually all Jews are also white because we did not get the full history of the world growing up, but per the article, there are Jews of every skin color and country of origin throughout time.

The whole definition of race is a societal issue but that’s a discussion for another day. I do think Grooch made the most important point regarding the micro inequity action of ABC to suspend Whoopie for half of black history month - which in itself is fraught of discriminatory practices (shortest month of year).

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 7:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Good article, Legalboxer. It explains what the expert said in the Joy Reid clip that Whoopi was looking at race in the American context of the word compared to the European context of the word. I have to admit that I have always thought of race in the American context also. I guess I must have thought the Holocaust was more about religion because Hitler didn't like Catholics either, and I don't remember my history teachers talking about race.

The article you posted seems to have started in the middle. Do you have a link to the first half of it? I'd like to read it. I have more questions than answers this morning in my brain. :-)

And I still think 2 weeks off makes no sense. It leads me to think that something more was going on behind the scenes between the producer and Whoopi and her punishment was for that. It's the only thing that makes sense to me and that's another whole can of worms. And not a good one.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 7:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
So many comments on this thread have been so very thoughtful and forgiving. I agree 100% with the following:

1- I am a firm believer in letting the punishment fit the crime. There was no 'crime' as her comments didn't come from a place of hate.

2- I can't help but think that they took off the air the only black woman on the show for 1/2 of Black History month.

3- I think some grace should have been allowed, esp since she was so contrite.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 8:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
This whole thing is an example of what is wrong with society.

On a show called “The View”, someone expressed their view of the world in an honest and apparently non-malicious way. Other people explained to them how they should see it differently and the person agreed and learned from the experience.

Folks, that is how life should work. Ideally, this is an opportunity for more learning and ongoing discussion about racism and given that it is Black History month, it is even more important that a black woman be a part of that discussion.

Instead, in a typical and dare I say American manner, she is being punished for this. What a wrong way to deal with something like this. There’s a reason that America has the most incarcerated people in the world and that a vastly disproportionate number are black.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 8:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Because Roseanne was fired for less...

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Maybe someone can remind me. I’m trying to remember what Roseanne did and if and how she apologized and learned from it?

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 9:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Roseanne learned nothing from what she did, and continued to blame others, like Michelle Obama for getting her fired!

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 9:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, all your answers are in the first 20 seconds of this video.

Her racist tweet that started it was about one of Obama's senior advisors, Valerie Jarrett. Basically it said if the Muslim Brotherhood and Planet of the Apes had a baby, it would be Valerie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2kLHKTn0Nw

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I forgot about that. I thought it was because of the picture she took of her dressed up as Hitler and taking the Jewish gingerbread men out if the oven.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It seems pretty evident that the Whoopi and Roseanne incidents are not comparable.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I concur, Jimmer.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Legal... well said, and thank you!

I likely have more sensitivity/knowledge of the issue since my parents grew up in Europe during WWII. My father, tall, blond and blue-eyed was immediately pulled into the Hitler youth because he fit the Aryan *race* profile... the desirable look. Eventually almost all children in Germany were indoctrinated/became members, but he was held out as special, just because of his appearance.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, my friend's father was also from Germany, and he also was in the Hitler Youth as a boy. He would never talk about it, which is too bad because it would have been interesting to hear his experiences.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 11:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thank you, LB and Kar.

Kar, I suspect somewhere I may have your family story stored, and it was simply fascinating, about your parents and how they coped, and the toll it took on them and on their children. This could be a time to re-tell it. Or not. I am crying just thinking about it. And it could have been 15-20 years since you told it, and obviously your perspectives have evolved.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, February 04, 2022 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Thanks Juju, I may do that, I'm sure I have it saved somewhere. Right now I'm busy writing a bio for a news article on me and FOSTERING! :-)

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Friday, February 04, 2022 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I also had my own reaction to the whole situation...because my family was born and raised in Italy. My mother and her family made it thru WWII. They experienced both Mussolini and Hitler.

My family along with others, were part of group that helped hide anyone being persecuted and arranged their "escape". I have many amazing stories from their experiences. My mom and my grandmother were quite the spitfires and very courageous.

I agree, it is very important to be aware of history. Not just your own.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, February 04, 2022 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Totally concur. My sister bought me the book "Exodus" by Leon Uris (first published in 1958), when I was in my early 20s. It's a fascinating history of the Jewish people from early times all the way up through WWII and the subsequent birth of the Nation of Israel. I've never forgotten it. The Jewish people have been hated, persecuted and blamed for everything bad that has happened for centuries. I highly recommend it, if you want to learn about the Jews. Great read.

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Saturday, February 05, 2022 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
Great book!

Lurkin

02-15-2002

Sunday, February 06, 2022 - 9:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lurkin a private message Print Post    
This show should be called One View.
I am non-affiliated. I want to hear both sides. They are just I am right you are wrong. So closed minded.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, February 13, 2022 - 9:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Sounds familiar,the word “ view” doesn’t always mean everyone’s view.

Liz Wheeler is in talks to replace Megan. I’ve never seen her host.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 13, 2022 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
A tweet from Liz Wheeler today ~

"Hilary Clinton actually paid a law firm to infiltrate Trump's computer servers at his private apartment to plant 'evidence' he was connected to Russia."

I would put this story right up there with the one about Hillary running a pedophile ring out of the basement of a pizza parlor. The View has no interest in anyone who pushes this kind of Q-anon poop. But it's good for a chuckle.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, February 13, 2022 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Pretty sure that the View would not be interested in an ONN Qanon conspiracist.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, February 13, 2022 - 1:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I just googled her because I never heard of her. She's unvaccinated. That alone will keep her from being hired.