TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 08, 2021

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Dexter: New Blood: Archive through November 08, 2021 users admin

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, August 18, 2021 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Yeah I was very disappointed when Dexter stopped following his code. They just turned him into a “generic” serial killer.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, August 18, 2021 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Bo, I agree. I have rewatched the series a few times and skip season 6, I hated that season!

I was one of the few that liked Rita so the Trinity season ender was heartbreaking for me.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, September 13, 2021 - 12:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I've just got to the end of our rewatch of the original series. I didn't remember much of it, but what I did remember was completely wrong!

SPOILER OF FINALE ahead...

I thought a bad guy killed Deb and tossed her overboard. And I thought Dexter disappeared because they found out about him. Nope and nope! Here's what actually happened, in case anyone else needs a reminder.

The bad guy of the season was The Brain Surgeon, who was cutting a region of the brain out of his victims and sending it in a jar to Dr Vogel. Dr Vogel was a psychiatrist friend of Dexter's dad Harry, knew all about Dexter, and had helped design the "code" Dexter lived under. Turns out The Brain Surgeon was Dr Vogel's son, who was a psychopath but was meant to have died in a fire, but he didn't, and came back to torment (and eventually kill) his mother as he was mad she helped others like Dexter, but just locked him up in an institution.

Meanwhile Hannah (Yvonne Strahovski) is back. She had poisoned people, and was on the run, but had got a new identity and come back to see Dexter. Of course they fell back in love.

Various people are after Hannah, and Dexter thinks it's not safe for her in Miami, so he decides to give up his job and go to Argentina with her and Harrison.

But the Brain Surgeon had threatened Deb and Cody&Astor, so Dexter has to kill him first. He traps him and ties him to a chair, but decides he feels differently now, he'd much rather go with Hannah and Harrison than wait and do this, so he calls Deb (who at this point knows Dexter is a serial killer) so she can arrest the killer instead. So he calls her, and she's on her way, and it's at this point that "ghost" Harry disappears, after telling Dexter he's proud he got to the point where he didn't need to make the kill.

Problem... a deputy had been following Deb and Dexter, thinking it would lead him to Hannah. The deputy goes into the building Dexter had the Brain Surgeon tied up in, releases him, and of course the Surgeon kills the Deputy, and when Deb walks in shoots her too. (He escapes then, but Batista kills him later.)

Deb is raced to hospital, it seems like she's going to survive, then something goes wrong, she has a blood clot, goes into a coma and doesn't have brain function. Dexter's devastated that he destroyed her life, and calls Hannah and tells her and Harrison to go on ahead to Argentina without him, which they do, not telling them about Deb. During a storm, when everyone's distracted, he turns off Deb's life support, and takes her by boat out towards the storm, where he buries her at sea.

As he thinks he ruins everyone he touches, he then drives his boat into the centre of the storm. When everything calms, the Coastguard find his boat destroyed and everyone assumes Dexter has drowned.

But wait... cut and then some months later he's in Alaska or somewhere, with a beard, near some logging, looking miserable. The end.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, September 13, 2021 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the recap. I definitely needed a refresher on this!

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, September 13, 2021 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I've watched it so many times that it's still vivid for me.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, September 13, 2021 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Kitt, ty for the refresher, I had forgotten most of that!!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, September 14, 2021 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the recap. I think I need to find a recap of the entire series. LOL. I saw an ad for the new show and it made me so happy!

Jambee

05-24-2010

Thursday, October 28, 2021 - 7:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jambee a private message Print Post    
Set your DVR. The new season premieres Sunday, Nov.7 at 9:00 on Showtime. Remember "two can keep a secret if one of them is dead".

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, October 29, 2021 - 5:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I cant wait!! I started watching some of the final season to get me back into the Dexter groove :-)

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Friday, October 29, 2021 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
If I never watched Dexter, would I be totally lost watching the new series? I read that Michael C Hall suggested four episodes to watch:

Season 1 Episode 1 "Dexter"
Season 1 Episode 10 "Seeing Red"
Season 3 Episode 10 "Go Your Own Way"
Season 4 Episode 12 "The Getaway"

I don't think I have time to watch 96 episodes to catch up lol I am hoping that since it has been 10 years, they include flashbacks or some sort of explanations to things that refer to the past, when needed.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, October 29, 2021 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Those episodes don't seem to cover much, but not knowing what's in the new series, it's hard to know what you'd need to know.

The basics are that Dexter is a serial killer. His birth mother was an FBI(? police?) informant, who was viciously murdered (cut to pieces while alive) by some very bad guys. Both Dexter and his brother were in the trailer she was murdered in, and were found a bit later in there, covered in blood, by Dexter's "father" Harry. Harry adopted Dexter, but decided Dexter's brother was too traumatised by the events, so puts him in some hospital/asylum.

Dexter only finds out the brother's story later, when the brother escapes(? is released?) from hospital and starts his own murder spree, as the Ice Truck Killer.

(Later it turns out that Harry is actually his bio-dad, he was having an affair with his mother.)

Dexter hides in plain sight, working as a forensic person for Miami Dade Police, and dates a nice girl, Rita, who is a single mum of two kids. First he thinks of Rita as cover, but he eventually realises he loves her, and they have a baby - Harrison - together.

Dexter only (mostly) kills people according to a code that his dad taught him, in an effort to have Dexter live a relatively normal life, knowing he was a psychopath. So Dexter only kills bad people. For instance he ends up killing his brother the Ice Truck Killer. Dexter can "see" his now dead dad, to get advice.

It's when he's chasing another murderer, The Trinity Killer, that the killer finds out who's following him, and kills Dexter's wife Rita, leaving her to bleed out in the bath. Harrison is present, and is found on the floor next to her sitting in blood, much like Dexter was found next to his dead mother.

The other big character is Debra Morgan, Dexter's adoptive sister. They're very close, she's a detective for Miami Dade. Eventually she finds out he's a serial killer, very reluctantly helps cover up issues at times, and near the end of the series gets shot in the stomach by another serial killer. She has to be put on life support, and knowing she wouldn't want that, Dexter takes her off and she dies.

Dexter realises he puts everyone he loves in danger, so decides to let his girlfriend at the time (Hannah, also a serial killer) take Harrison (who's about five(??) by then) to Argentina or somewhere (she was on the run, and close to being found out, so had to flee), saying he would follow and be with them. But after Debra dies, he realises going with them would be too much of a risk for them, so he takes Debra's body out to sea during a hurricane, people assume he's lost at sea, but actually he somehow made it to shore.

The series ends with a very short scene showing Dexter living alone somewhere like Alaska as a lumberjack.

That might be all you need to know. The shows are very gory and everyone, especially Debra, swears all the time.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, October 29, 2021 - 8:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Since, I would start from the beginning..it is a fabulous series and then just want this season when you ar done with the rest

Kitt gave an amazing recap for you so if decide not to watch she gave you the background :-)

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Friday, October 29, 2021 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Pamy, .well seeing as I am the person that won't watch a movie unless I watch from the beginning...same with series...looks like I might have to watch the whole damn thing! Lol

Thank you Kitt for the amazing summary! Since everyone says it a great series, I'll start watching 1st season and see how that goes.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, October 30, 2021 - 5:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
You will love it! There was only one season I didnt like, I think it was 7.

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Sunday, October 31, 2021 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
Awesome recap Kitt, thank you!!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, October 31, 2021 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
:-)

Marameko

07-14-2002

Monday, November 01, 2021 - 5:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Very good recap, for the final,episode as I was reading I recall the scene.
A couple of months ago I binged on all seasons and it was amazing what I had forgotten.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, November 07, 2021 - 12:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The first ep is in on-demand early! I'll be watching with my coffee in the morning.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, November 07, 2021 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I went to download the On-demand version (thanks for the tip!) but ours (DirecTV) has a "tune in early" button instead. Never seen that before. I presume it means it will just play when I press that but not leave a copy on My List.

Hopefully I can watch this afternoon, I'm quite excited!

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, November 07, 2021 - 2:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I opted to wait and watch it with DH tonight after the Chiefs game. I'm getting anxious wishing this game would end. haha (it's not even half time yet)

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, November 07, 2021 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Dexter line dancing! LOL

I am hoping that they dont do the obvious storyline regarding the missing girls

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, November 07, 2021 - 8:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
It was like slipping on my old comfy slippers! It was so nice seeing Dexter again and not in a rerun!

The first ep was a little predictable, but I think it had to be. I mean you couldn't bring Dexter back and not feel like you know him already. He had to be familiar.

He used to have Harry nagging him to be good all day, and now he has Deb. haha! I am so glad the actress gets to be part of the show. I felt bad that both of her shows after Dexter were cancelled in the first season.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, November 07, 2021 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The weird thing on my on demand seems to have been a error, but it did become available about 4pm.

I enjoyed it! I kind of assumed Dexter would have to have been alone to not kill, but I suppose not having bad people around makes it easier to resist.

It'll be interesting to see how much Harrison knows, Dexter sounded like he might have to teach him to be a good killer, but so far we don't have any evidence he's not just a random good kid. And will he mention Hannah?

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Monday, November 08, 2021 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I loved seeing how Dexter assimilated into this little town! Everyone likes him and the top cop is his girfriend. I dont like seeing his son turn up. So many things could go wrong!

Rvon

12-11-2003

Monday, November 08, 2021 - 5:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
Pamy, after reading your recap I think I will continue on with Dexter. I have only watched the first episode so far. Again, thanks for the recap.