TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
OSCARS 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: OSCARS 2019 users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through February 24, 2019Pamy25 02-24-19  7:12 pm
Archive through February 24, 2019Lakecat25 02-24-19  8:07 pm
Archive through February 24, 2019Dipo25 02-24-19  8:52 pm
Archive through February 25, 2019Roxip25 02-25-19  8:27 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, February 25, 2019 - 9:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
So I googled the Queen/Adam Lambert performance last night (can I say that I'm still slightly obsessed with Adam Lambert?) and it was amazing. I appreciate how he doesn't appear to try and overshadow the original members of the group. Gosh that man can sing! Queen does it right - they do not need a lot of flashy stuff because their music is still so spot on after all these years! Just a few lighting pyrotechnics and let the band play and the singer sing!

The Lady Gaga/Bradley Cooper duet was beautiful in its simplicity. I also appreciated that she didn't feel the need to change out of her lovely gown for a performance outfit (and besides, who would want to take that stunning necklace off in the first place?).

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, February 25, 2019 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Olivia Coleman made my night. I just love her. đź’—

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, February 25, 2019 - 10:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I thought I heard that Adam Lambert is the lead singer for Queen when they go out on tour.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Monday, February 25, 2019 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
go to the racism and discrimination thread to see how much these movies connect to current events. Look at all the recent hate speech/incidents in my own county's schools. Look at the shooting in the church in Charleston, and Temple of Life in Pittsburgh. Look at the voter suppression since the SCOTUS tore apart the Voters Rights Act protections. Hey, just pull my "Teen of the Week" profile from the 1990s and you will see below that article a headline saying a KKK meeting had been cancelled due to the weather. We need these movies to show what happened so it does not repeat itself again. My son will have NO idea about the holocaust since my grandparents died before he was born - and seeing movies like The Zookeeper and Shindlers List will be some of the best ways to "wake" him up so he is not just seeing words and statistics on a page. Spike Lee's movie was spot on with its message for today's racism. As are movies like Glory and Gentleman's Agreement and Hidden Figures etc..- even through they take place "so long ago"

Racism is discussed because of the people controlling laws that continue to marginalize and endanger people of color and others. Once those people are out of power, then we can stop talking about racism.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, February 25, 2019 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I learned about the Holocaust by reading excellent books. It started with "The Source" by James Michener, and that got me hooked on the subject (it was my senior term paper subject - do school still require you to do that now?). Exodus, was also a really good book on the subject, along with The Diary of Anne Frank (my daughter had to read that one in high school). I even explored the reality that we had put Japanese people in what was basically concentration camps in the United States during WWII. When we try and erase history we forget it...never a good thing.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 25, 2019 - 12:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/green-book-best-picture-oscar-sparks-online-criticism-1190204

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 25, 2019 - 12:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Spike Lee said the ref made the wrong call.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, February 25, 2019 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Outside of Lady Gaga and her song Shallow, I honestly felt there were at least two strong contenders in every category so while I was surprised at The Green Book winning, I don't see a problem with it.

I'm in complete agreement with Legalboxer that racism is not only alive and well, it's been thriving in the last two years. Sometimes, retelling a story from the past is a good way to show someone how racism exists where they might not recognize it when it's right in front of them.

Not only did I not miss having a host last night, I actually resented the presenters who made it more about them rather then letting the nominees and winners have their moment.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, February 25, 2019 - 3:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
This gave me a laugh, LOL.... Fortune Feimster Verified account @fortunefunny
8m8 minutes ago
More
How are all the gay men doing today? Just wanted to check on you. I know Glenn Close’s loss has been hard on many of you.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, February 25, 2019 - 4:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Was anyone else thinking that one of the trends on the Oscar red carpet was ugly and frumpy? Some of those ruffled outfits were just not flattering, and some of the dresses wore the women and not the opposite. And Rachel Weiss and that raincoat?

Jason Mamoa looked a hot rumpled mess.

To me the best dressed man was the leading man from Crazy Rich Asians...he had on a classic tuxedo and was so hot!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, February 25, 2019 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I don’t know about your last comment LB, how will the media divide the country and label EVERY Republican if it stops?

Part of the problem with not knowing about the Holocaust is that teachers are not teaching it anymore. They and their students are judged by their state test scores and the questions on that test is what they “ teach” these days.

Especially Maya Rudolph’s dress. It was awful.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, February 25, 2019 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I did think some of the dresses were more for the Met Ball than the Oscars. I know some were "deemed" fashion, but they were so ridiculously big on the super skinny people I thought they looked almost as if they hadn't had the time to fit them to the wearer.

I liked Jason Mamoa's tux, cracked me up that he matched Helen Miren so well. And he had a scrunchie on his wrist that matched.

I do agree some of those dresses did wear the women.

And some were just really bad, like Kacey M's.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 25, 2019 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
What about the guy in the Christian Siriano dress? He looked so happy!!

Billy Porter from Pose.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/bs-md-christian-siriano-tuxedo-dress-20190224-story.html

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, February 25, 2019 - 9:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi accepted the Oscar for Free Solo, best documentary feature. (Second Oscar of the evening.) Remember her dress? See-through!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, February 25, 2019 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I loved Billy Porters' Tux/Dress, thought it was stunning !!

Oh, LOL Colordeagua, I thought that was just an illusion, hahahahahah, couldn't quite figure it out.

It really is pretty tho, that is the way you do ruffles, not like Kacey's.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, February 25, 2019 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Rachel Weiss could wear a potato sack and I wouldn't notice because I'm too busy adoring her man.

<77>

Marameko

07-14-2002

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 5:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Now I know who Billy Porter is.........POSE. I can see him reliving this night in his mind forever.
Do I see him him doing this to be seen ........oh yeah but I also "get it" as far a living the dream.

Missyb

07-28-2004

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 9:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Missyb a private message Print Post    
It gives me a certain about of petty pleasure that the need to follow trends produces some really really ugly outfits that everyone has to say are beautiful. Sure they are.
Classic is beautiful and timeless. Regina King, gorgeous.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
What I thought when I saw Billy Porter's outfit...THANK GOODNESS men will experience how difficult it is for women to carry something that heavy! Now if he only had to put a bra on and wear it for hours...

I was disappointed in Gemma Chan - she is one of the most beautiful women (in my opinion) and her dress just overwhelmed her.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Billy said that he was making a point, that a woman in a tux is called bold, but a man In a dress... Not so much.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I think it was an extremely bold statement. Quite honestly I thought it should have had less of a skirt but that wasn't the point he was trying to make.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 9:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed the Oscar show. I agree, no-host is something they should continue.

I have seen all of the best pic and acting nominated films, also animation and directing, original screenplay, etc. I've seen a lot of movies! I wanted BlacKKKlansman to win, so I was happy to see Spike Lee win. I thought Green Book had a good chance to win it -- I consider it a safe vote. I really thought Glen Close would win and *should* have won. What a nuanced performance. She was brilliant.

I do not understand the love for Roma. It's beautiful so I get the Cinematography win, but it's a dull, dull film that stretches 30 minutes of material for 2+ hours. Dull. Same with Cold War. Beautiful but dull.

And yes, Adam Lambert is touring with Queen as their lead singer. Great way to kick off the Oscars! And the Lady Gaga performance was off the charts fantastic.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - 1:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have heard that about Roma.

I think voting for Glen and Lady Gaga maybe cancelled each other out and let the dark horse win for best actress.

Adam is a star, for sure..

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 9:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Dipo asked?

Is it my TV or did Bradley and Lady look a little orange on that closeup?

Lady Gaga was on Jimmy Kimmel last night. She said Bradley Cooper requested amber lighting for the number.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, March 02, 2019 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I was sucked into the YouTube vortex, actually because I am reading Todd Fisher's book about growing up with Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher, and searched for a song Debbie would sing to Todd at bedtime and then saw this interview of Lady Gaga on Jimmy Kimmel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1MagImMpI7M

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, March 02, 2019 - 8:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Great link thx Sea. :-)

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, March 03, 2019 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I read that book a couple of years ago, Sea. It was a good read. Sad about her Hollywood memorabilia museum that Debbie could never get built. I saw they talked about a new museum on the Oscars, and I thought of her. She ended up selling off most of her stuff to pay her bills.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 03, 2019 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think that part is coming next, and Todd has already alluded to it.

They certainly lived large in many ways.

So far the best scenes are UniTed's childhood bathroom, where he interrupted Bettie Davis on his toilet and she engaged him in conversation, and where he kept a pet alligator until it but Carrie, who tried to hand feed it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: