TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 27, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: Archive through May 27, 2016 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Great idea, OG. :-) Mack I agree with you about Carson but would add that his character is a blend of his past (circus performer) and of course the bulk of his life in service to Lord Grantham.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 5:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Marvelous interview with Michelle Dockery (Lady Mary) and the emotions she experienced while filming the big fight and post-fight scenes with Laura Carmichael (Edith):

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/02/downton-abbey-mary-edith-fight

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Uncle Ricky - great link! :-)

Csnog

07-18-2002

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
It just seems to be flying by. I felt it was a rushed episode.
I am going to miss it.
Who would have thought that Tom would be the go between for so many.
Maybe they will have a happy ending for him. He needs to find a bit of happiness since he had a hand in so many of their lives.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 10:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
This was the part of the episode that really tugged at my heart (lifted it from the lovely interview Uncle Ricky posted above):

The blow-up does have a resolution ultimately, though, with Edith taking the high road and returning to Downton for Mary’s wedding. Explaining why she returned, Edith says, “Because in the end, you’re my sister. And one day, only we will remember Sybil. Or Mama, or Papa, or Matthew, or Michael, or Granny, or Carson, or any of the others who have peopled our youth. Until at last, our shared memories will mean more than our mutual dislike.”

This got to me, since so much of my own childhood family is gone now. The only ones who really remember those days now are my brother and I, and we're not that close. It's kind of sad.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Should Old Acquaintance be forgot,
and never thought upon;
The flames of Love extinguished,
and fully past and gone:
Is thy sweet Heart now grown so cold,
that loving Breast of thine;
That thou canst never once reflect
On old long syne.

CHORUS: On old long syne my Jo,
On old long syne,
That thou canst never once reflect,
On old long syne.

Ah well, the stories were all nicely wrapped up. Julian Fellowes realized we wanted everyone to have a happy ending!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
A satisfying ending!! Sigh.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 9:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I am enjoying the Bafta pre show.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 11:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Barrows got to me the most. So nice to see a happy ending for him. That and the baby were the parts that touched me. So sad to say goodbye to these delicious set of characters.

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 4:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
While there were a lot of story lines to wrap up, and maybe all weren't brought to a full and complete end, we were happy with the final show. If there turns out not to be a follow up show or movie or whatever sometime down the line we don't feel we were left hanging too badly with no resolution on so many subplots. At the same time they could easily pick up the timeline and there's a lot of history (i.e., stock market crash, depression, WWII) that would provide a lot of material for the present, extended, and future family. Still a bit sad to see it end.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 6:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Fellowes is a master showman, following the old adage, "always leave them wanting more".

It must have been equally difficult for the cast to say goodbye, because they all loved working together so much on the show.

Maybe Mrs. Patmore and Daisy's father-in -law could have the next story. Life in England after being in service your entire life...

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 7:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Poignant, heart-warming, fully satisfying are adjectives that come to mind about last night's finale for Downton Abbey. I have been blessed to share in the world of Downton and feel like part of the family. That's what, I believe, has made this series so successful and Julian Fellowes has done a marvelous job. I think Downton Abbey is something I will need to add to my DVD library so I can visit over and over again.

So, Julian Fellowes, I can't wait to see what's next!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 9:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Did you notice that, walking down the isle, Edith literally 'glowed'. They should have had a chorus of angels singing too ....

I too enjoyed the Barrows story. When Master George said goodbye to Mr. Barrows, then Barrows just walked stiffly off, trying to control his feelings... just great acting.... I cried then.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I loved the rescue of Barrows from that new job - he would've died of boredom.

My favorite part of the whole finale was Denker's face getting splattered with egg (figuratively, of course) when she tried to sabotage Spratt and the Dowager, instead, laughed her head off at Spratt's editorial contributions to the magazine.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Perfection from the beginning of the series to the very end!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 2:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
At first, I thought that Spratt was going to be fired. Then, it made perfect sense to me that the Dowager would have loved Spratt's articles in the paper. For all of her 'British Aristocracy' airs, she loved gossip and snipping about people.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Loved the finale and the BAFTA special. I'm so glad Barrow is the new butler and that Carson could admit that he had trained him well. He gets on so well with George and Sybbie (sort of next generation Carson/Lady Mary?)and I think he will do his job well now that he realizes that he is not hated.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 3:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Just finished watching the finale (it's been a busy week). Sobbed my heart out over just about everything. So happy things turned out so well for just about everyone. I'll miss this family. But now I can go look at the Downton Abbey book I got for Christmas that I was afraid to look at for fear of spoilers!

And what is this BAFTA show you're talking about???

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 4:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
An award the show received, JM.

It was a rerun but I enjoyed it anyway. :-)

http://www.bafta.org/television/features/bafta-celebrates-downton-abbey

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the link, RB2 - marvelous!

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
You are welcome, Ricky. :-)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Driving to work this morning, I heard this interview with Julian Fellowes -- it focuses on his latest project, a novel (yay!).

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/14/474082409/downton-creator-brings-drama-on-the-installment-plan-in-belgravia

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
It's not quite Downton Abbey, but it IS Julian Fellowes. It begins streaming this coming Friday on Amazon -- the adaptation of one of Anthony Trollope's best novels, Doctor Thorne. It should be delicious!

http://deadline.com/2016/05/julian-fellowes-presents-doctor-thorne-review-downton-abbey-tom-hollander-amazon-video-1201757790/

Marameko

07-14-2002

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 6:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Thanks Uncle R I use my Netflix but not my Amazon so this will be a great time to utilize that service vs acting like I don't have the option.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, May 27, 2016 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I watched it. Only 4 episodes and it was very predictable, but enjoyable. Very Jane Austenish and everybody gets married at the end (that's how Austen always ties things up, too). Lovely period piece, and the costumes were beautiful.