TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 06, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Netflix Series Recommendations : ARCHIVES: Archive through July 06, 2018 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 7:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Miz! đź’‹

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I just started watching The Viet Nam War, a Ken Burns doc. I am finding it fascinating, especially the archival footage, the observations from those who were there from all sides, and the history of how it became such a war that Americans were pulled into it. I was in my teens when this started hitting the nightly news along with all the young protesters who were against being drafted into it. I lived in Canada, so it didnt affect me directly, but it was a big story day in and day out.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Has anyone watched Hannah Gadsby’s "Nanette" on Netflix? It's a comedy act, but I would call it more of a motivational speech and a passionate outcry all in one.

I found it amazing. Hannah is just brilliant. She knows how to draw the audience in and tell stories that mean so much more than you can imagine. With the amount of herself she gives to the show, I can't see how she does that act more than once.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, June 25, 2018 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I'm thinking about cancelling it. If it goes up in price anymore, then I'm out. I'm not finding anything that grabs me. When does Orange is the New Black start?

Marameko

07-14-2002

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 3:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Friday, July 27 is when the new season drops...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/orange-is-new-black-season-6-premiere-date-first-look-1117232

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 5:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
Lakecat I'm with you, I may drop it to. I have a hard time finding anything I want to watch. I think I'm losing interest in TV in general.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 6:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Thanks Maremko.
It seems everything is so serious. Just trying to find a movie on Netflix it's all very heavy and often depressing content.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 - 9:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It's the political climate, no one is feeling positive so they aren't making positive tv shows.

If anyone still has Netflix DVD service, they have Hulu's The Handmaid's Tale, season 1. But that will not brighten your mood either.

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
The Magic Pill was interesting, documentary about the ketogenic diet.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Friday, June 29, 2018 - 4:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
I just read on People Magazine about another Netflix show. "A Very English Scandal", starring Hugh Grant, 3 episodes. Also starting today 6/29 is The Gorgeous Ladies of Glow, season 2.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, June 29, 2018 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Looking forward to Glow! I went to look up the Hugh Grant series and found it's on Amazon Prime for those of you who have that.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Friday, June 29, 2018 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
“A Very English Scandal” is on Amazon Prime, not Netflix.....
That explains why I could not find it today....

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, June 29, 2018 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I saw A Very English Scandal...very good and funny! Hugh Grant was hysterical.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 6:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Binged yesterday on”A Very English Scandal”......Enjoyed this 3 part show.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 6:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
yesterday since it was a boiling, broiling 92 degrees I decided it was a tv day. I watch A Very Eng Scandal and totally enjoyed it. Watching Hugh Grant was absolutely mesmerizing his facial expressions were so subtle, it was all in his eyes. I hope he gets an award for this role. the character of Norman was sadly funny, his last outburst in court was soo soo sad.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 6:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Binge-watched Grace and Frankie yesterday. I'm so grateful to a friend of mine who downloaded the previous seasons for me. Just finished watching the first Nine episodes. It is very good but then I know that because all of you love it and that's where I first heard about it was here. Also I'm not worried about Lucifer anymore because even though it's been rescued by Netflix which I don't have I just have to wait for the end of the season and have him download that for me as well. It's just going to suck to have to wait.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
For those of you who enjoyed A Very English Scandal, does it get any easier to understand Hugh Grant's accent?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I never noticed Hugh Grant's accent....but then I watch almost every British show with the closed captioning on. There's always a character or two with a thicker, regional accent that's a lot harder to understand than everyone else's. And if the CC is on, I'm hearing it and reading it at the same time so the accents don't matter.

Sometimes I'll hear a line and replay it over and over and still not be able to understand the words at all....but when I turn on the CC and watch it, suddenly it clearly sounds exactly like what the CC shows even though it wasn't clear at all when I was just hearing it. It's almost like the CC actually improves my hearing. I know there's a scientific explanation for it...something about how our brains "fill in" gaps of missing data that our senses don't catch....and seeing the word in CC fills in the gaps in such a way that I can hear the difference once the CC is on.

I'm now in the habit of automatically turning on the CC if it's a British show....or if I'm watching "Preacher" and Cassidy, the hard drinking Irish vampire, is talking.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, July 01, 2018 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
If I'm not mistaken, A Very English Scandal is another version of A Very British Sex Scandal (TV movie 2007). I've seen the original and it was excellent, so Grant's version is now in my watch list.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Monday, July 02, 2018 - 4:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
For me the more the "cockney" the accent the harder it is to understand. A couple of years ago I had to call Netflix to figure out how to turn on the cc . Love British shows but the accents can be a challenge at times.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, July 02, 2018 - 6:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Have to ask again,Has anyone watched Hannah Gadsby’s "Nanette" on Netflix? It's a comedy act, but I would call it more of a motivational speech and a passionate outcry all in one.

I found it amazing. Hannah is just brilliant. She knows how to draw the audience in and tell stories that mean so much more than you can imagine. With the amount of herself she gives to the show, I can't see how she does that act more than once.

In my opinion, this is the best, most thought provoking stand up act I've ever seen.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I need a new show to binge on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon. I finished season 2 of The Handmaids Tale in the very early hours this morning. Season 3 NOW!
I am thinking about Harlots as I am a W
Lesley Manville fan.
My husband and I watched
Mindhunters last week and am looking forward to season 2.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Friday, July 06, 2018 - 5:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Sugar..........Did you try "A Very British Scandal"..?? Only 3 episodes.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, July 06, 2018 - 7:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sugar I've been binge-watching Grace and Frankie which a friend downloaded for me since we don't have Netflix. I absolutely love love love love love love love Grace and Frankie it's terrific and very original. And hilarious which is very much appreciated in these worrisome times we are living in.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, July 06, 2018 - 4:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I loved Grace and Frankie. I started Episodes and need to get back to it. I will look for A Very British Scandal.
Thanks.