TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 09, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Pose: Archive through July 09, 2018 users admin

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 10:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
new series by Ryan Murphy. I just finished the 1st ep. Loved it!

Starr

07-09-2005

Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 10:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Starr a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed it, too! Definitely a part of society I knew nothing about. Haha.

Some parts were so sad, but other scenes made me just want to clap & cheer for them.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 3:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I felt the same way! I also loved the music!

Roteach

06-01-2003

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 6:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I am loving this show. I didn't know about this culture and want to learn more about it.The dance, the acting, the costumes are all wonderful.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 7:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I would have thought the arrest for stealing stuff from the museum would have been a bigger deal. that is grand larceny. but reality bends for drama

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 7:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I'm thinking they will show that Mother has a thing with the police chief or something like that. That's why she wasn't afraid of being arrested

Marameko

07-14-2002

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed even though some of the interaction between the 2 “Mother’s” is a little over the top.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
In the recent (and very lengthy) profile of Murphy in the New Yorker, he declared "Pose" is possibly the best series he's ever presented. He added that many of the terms we've come to learn via "RuPaul's Drag Race" were born in the competitions "Pose" depicts.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 2:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Uncle Ricky, interesting because I was watching thinking they arent being realistic with some of the words those words werent in the 80's because I know they from the last 10 yrs of Rupaul's drag race.

the music! I have to get up and groove while watching this!! they are playing all my old jams!!

In the 70/80s I had many gay guy friends because I was in dance/drama/makeup. Back then they just didnt even think of coming out to their family. I am so happy that more people/families are accepting today than back then. I know we still have a looong way to go as far as everyone being accepting but I'm hoping we are moving forward.

I think CA may have always been more accepting than NY but I'm not sure. Would love to know if anyone knows for sure.

Now that I think about it, back in the day, in my circle of friends, the girls didnt come out like the guys did. I think I only knew 1 lesbian couple prior to 1980 but I knew many gay guys.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 4:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I think CA may have always been more accepting than NY but I'm not sure."

It wasn't really a competition so I don't think anyone was keeping score. We were all just taking it one progressive step at a time. :-)

The main thing is that acceptance keeps growing and it's now taking place everywhere.

But when it comes to the haters vs the LGBT community...the haters are losing.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Forgot about this. I've got it set to record.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 7:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
LOL Sanfran. I dont even know I even thought that. In the 70s we used to something like posing. in the under 21 disco we all went to we would run up to wall one at a time and pose and then the next person would come up and pose against us and so on. I had so much fun in the underage discos!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 12:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And the haters wouldn't get to make my cake!

Sorry, I am so angry when someone refuses to sell to or work with someone.. But I want to know so I can boycott.

San Francisco, not all of California, back in the past.

Except Palm 🌴 Springs and Laguna Beach.

But I agree, things are better than they were..

Redpen

07-24-2003

Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 2:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
I couldn't believe how casually the nurse mentioned getting AZT. That was not the case in the eighties. It was just becoming available and was way too expensive for the average person to use.
I'm going to forget about facts,though, and just enjoy this series. This was the period where I was a lesbian coming out in SF. I was in the gay band and most of my queer friends were gay men. I never saw this fashionista part of the community but I did see a lot of the Imperial Court.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think it is worth ignoring some things..

The show is set in 1986, so the nurse could only be referring to a clinical trial at that time.

Deep sigh.. Seeing faces of friends I lost in the early to mid nineties.

Anyway, I just set this series to record, after watching the first episode.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Flash dance was in 1983...

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I couldn't believe how casually the nurse mentioned getting AZT. That was not the case in the eighties."

Redpen, I was on AZT in the 80s ("Pose" is set in 1987). But I'm in San Francisco where HIV was being studied by a lot of doctors. Two of my doctors were in Time magazine and one of them was on 20/20 or 60 Minutes...because they were at the forefront of the AIDS epidemic. I was working and had insurance and never had to pay for it myself.

I'm not sure about the accessibility of AZT in NY, but at the time, I often heard people say "if you have AIDS, SF is the best place to be".

Here is the timeline for the use of AZT...apparently it was first in use in 1987:

https://www.fda.gov/forpatients/illness/hivaids/history/ucm151074.htm

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, June 11, 2018 - 7:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I tried to watch this with my daughter last night and just couldn't get into it. I will watch it another time and see if it piques my interest further (perhaps last night I was just tired). I liked the character of the young man who went to the ballet but wasn't really very interested in the rest, and I guess I was thinking the posing would be more of the storyline. Yep, I was probably definitely too tired.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 11, 2018 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have mixed feelings, but will watch again.

The peel show was interesting.. I wonder how many of those still exist, given what is available now online.

And the beeper!! That brought back memories of carrying a beeper and having to find a phone, though my reasons for being on call were very different!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, June 11, 2018 - 12:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I went to one with my friend once upon a time...must have been alcohol involved. And a dare I suspect. Funny thing is I don't remember anything about it other than being there...must have kept my eyes closed!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 5:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Has anyone here ever heard of the film, "Paris is Burning"?

It's a 1990 documentary based on the same theme as "Pose". It's a little over an hour long.

It's available on Netflix streaming.

It's also on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmUmiLlg-GM

--------

What I just saw on youtube had a pretty poor video and sound quality. (I just checked the first minute or so.) I'm not sure of the quality of the version on Netflix, though. I do vaguely remember that when I rented it on VHS in the early 90s it didn't have high production values and it was obviously made on a pretty low budget.

Anyhow, fans of "Pose" might want to see the real thing in this documentary!

Marameko

07-14-2002

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 4:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
I like this show but the conversation between the
2 Mothers is just a bit much for me. The mother from the House of Abundance thinks she is all that and a bag of chips....

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Tonights was a very strong episode, I remember that time very well. I remember a friend that died of AIDs back then. He had such wonderful plans, I sailed with him on his boat that he was remodeling. he went over all the things he wanted to do to his boat on that trip.
I loved that rendition of Home.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 8:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I suffered big losses from that time.

It was horrible watching them get injected with silicone, knowing how devastating were the long term effects on the body. Not just the pesky lumps.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Monday, July 09, 2018 - 4:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
I watched "Paris is Burning" years perhaps from a Blockbuster DVD.