TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 16, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The View: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 16, 2018 users admin

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Wow that’s fascinating. I’d always heard (obviously incorrectly) that hearing voices that tell you to do things or direct your behavior was not a good sign to say the least.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Well, let's be clear that not all of that 10% hears voices that tells them what to do. The vast majority of those that hear voices hear voices that are either benign or kind. It's only very few that hear voices that are malevolent or directive.

That's why I think schizophrenia is probably way over diagnosed in the US.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Understood. The only thing I was thinking was that those people who believe it is God or Jesus would naturally take direction from those voices.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 6:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
That's also true. But again, it's very few that hear voices that "direct" them, or that are malevolent (some hear voices criticizing them, for example).

Note that some have hypothesized that our modern day mediums are also voice-hearers and have explained them through their particular world view. Or they may be in communication with spirits. :-)

Texas4ever

02-12-2009

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 10:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texas4ever a private message Print Post    
It's not necessarily voices, if you are praying about something, stressing over something, sometimes a thought/answer pops into your head.
If Joy's comment was a joke, why is it only Christians are the butt of jokes. No one dares joke about Muslims or any other religions.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Texas, it was a joke. There's a difference between actually hearing a voice and having a thought, too. Physiologically and psychologically. And as I noted above, they used to use the generic "God" which in fact, does refer to Muslims and Jews too. And that joke is at least 20 years old! Well, more.... I remember hearing it in college and that's uh, more than 20 years.

And if you think people aren't joking about other faiths, you're not getting out enough. In fact, there is a growing group of Muslim comedians that are very popular, and they are quite self-deprecating. :-)

Why is that Christians are so sensitive about jokes? We laugh all the time in our church, and frequently at ourselves.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
A agree about the generic "god" term. If someone says people are mentally ill if they can hear God talking to them, that is not singling out any religion.

Also, Kumail Nanjiani and Aziz Ansari are two of my favorite comedians and they are both Muslim. Very self deprecating Muslims.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 10:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I have had 3 instances in my life where I heard a voice (only I could hear) that gave me clear direction... Each were BIG moments and had I not listened my life would be completely different... I do believe in God and I do believe that I was given guidance in those moments.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
The issue here is that she made the remark specifically about Vice President Pence - who makes no attempt to hide his Christian faith - so obviously her remark was directed towards his particular brand of Christianity. It was offensive and her past remarks about the current administration would lead people who share his faith to believe that it was mean-spirited and not said as a joke.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 11:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Many jokes are mean-spirited, that doesn't mean they aren't jokes.

Should Pence have to apologize for all his mean-spirited remarks about women and gays and Muslims? They weren't jokes at all.

I'm a Christian, and if Christians think this is something they should be crowing about, they don't understand persecution. Seriously, much of this is coming from the same people who claim about political correctness, demanding an apology from someone they think was politically incorrect.

You can't have it both ways.

ETa: And by the way Pence's particular view of Christianity believes gays and other unbelievers are going to hell, and children have been *ruined* by working mothers. I think if you are going to spout such vile about others, you should be able to let a stupid joke roll off your back! /rant

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Roxip, did you hear her apology. I think it was sincere. She called Pence and he accepted the apology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UlLa9f3jXA

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Yes, I know that she called Pence (wasn't it several days ago) and apologized. But I suspect that it was after there was considerable pressure put on the network.

Since I don't get my value systems from either VP Pence of The View it isn't really an issue for me. As a Christian I try and let most things just roll off of me. I try to view most of the things said on network television as "consider the source" - but I still felt like Ms. Behar only apologized because she was forced to and she probably had no clue how her comments came across to millions of the viewing public. Otherwise the public apology would have happened immediately after the fact instead of dragging her feet.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Maybe she dragged her feet because it should not have been necessary.

As I noted, many Christians have no problem at all (and not joking) condemning others. They, of all people, should not be offended by stupid jokes.

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
Was there any time between taping the shows and them being shown? Maybe in real time she apologized sooner. Just a thought.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It was about a month between the show date and the apology.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 6:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
I am with you Karuuna...I hate Trump but Pence scares me also with his dislike of anything he believes to be "unchristian"...frightening times

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 8:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I'm not even religious and I find it sad that being Christian is considered frightening and bad these days.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yes, Lakecat, it is a shame that *some* Christians have brought that upon the entire name of Christianity because of their harsh judgments and criticisms of others, while being over sensitive to the slightest criticism about them, like jokes.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 10:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
All zealots are bad. Christian zealots are not exempt.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
ITA Jimmer. Every religion has their extremist nutbars.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The problem with Christianity is that the entire religion (almost) has been co-opted by a view of Christianity that was unheard of 100 years ago. The whole born again, evangelical movement arose in the US in the 50s... and moved Christianity from a religion that was behavior oriented to a religion that is belief-oriented. If you believe the right thing, you're good. Then of course you *should* act, but many forget that part. This has allowed them to be more aggressive and judgmental toward non-believers.

When Christianity is at its best, it focuses on the more dominant message of the Bible, and that is to take care of others.

To illustrate this, I often note that taking care of the poor is mentioned 2000 times in the Bible, while the very few verses that people often misinterpret as being condemnatory of homosexuality number about 7. And abortion? Not at all.

So, you can see what people *think* is the Bible may not exactly match what is actually in the Bible.

And Pence is one of those.

/rant

Strategist

07-01-2014

Friday, March 16, 2018 - 4:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I've recently heard a saying: "God doesn't hate homosexuals. You hate homosexuals." (Resa Azlan)

Christianity (and every religion) works like that. Christians read into the Bible what they want to believe.

For example, there are many Christians who treat the poor with love and respect...and there are others who believe (like Pence) that sucking up to trump for personal benefit (money and position) are perfectly fine.

I think that this is what happens with the discussions on The View. There are Christians on both side on the show, but each believes what they want to believe. Whether God speaks to them or not, they are not listening to God. They are acting on their own opinions. What they say on the show speaks to their personal beliefs - not God's word.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 16, 2018 - 5:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Excellent point about the Bible.

Unless God speaks to us directly (and we’re somehow certain it is God speaking), all we have is our interpretation of second hand accounts and other people’s interpretations of what God was/is saying to us.

Texas4ever

02-12-2009

Friday, March 16, 2018 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texas4ever a private message Print Post    
A Baptist died and went to Heaven. St. Peter met him at the gate and told him he had to be extremely quite when passing the first door. After they move past this door the Baptist asked why they had to be so quite. St. Peter replied " that's the Catholic's, they think they are the only ones up here.

I hope I did not offend anyone.
You can substitute any denomination for Baptist.

I heard this in Catholic High School and still think it's funny.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, March 16, 2018 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
The first I was aware of the prosperity bible is with Jim Baker and tammy lee.
Ihave always thought these churches were backed by rich people trying to clean up their reputations since it preaches that if you are poor you are a sinner, ergo if you are rich you are a saint.

On subject - I would love to see then have Joel Olsteen on and ask him about the church where he lied so he would not have to take in people from the flooding.