TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 08, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: 2018 Academy Awards/Oscars: Archive through March 08, 2018 users admin

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 10:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
YEs, I remember Kimmel from the Man show. I loved him and Corolla then and still do now! Yes, it was immature humor, but it *was* funny. And yes, both of them have grown and matured a lot.

As for how she could hear in the Shape of Water -- I guess I knew she could because I saw the previews, so I didn't have that question. One time a preview did some good rather than spoiling things.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 6:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Loved Kimmel before he got political. I did not watch the Oscars for that reason and bc they chose such a political host.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I love Kimmel because he is not political but *real*. :-)

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I agree. He talks from the heart about real issues that mean a lot to him -- his home town of Vegas, medical issues with his son and how devastating it would be if he didn't have excellent health care.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I can’t remember exactly but there may have been a couple of minutes of political references out of a three and a half hour show. Not exactly overwhelming to deal with.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Agreed. It was quite tame overall. Goofy fun with the jet ski and going to the movie theater. Sprinkled with a bit of women empowerment. And I'm not sure anyone could argue with Frances McDormand's speech.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Do you not watch his late night show?
He was told to tone down the partisan politics for the oscars.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 3:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
No I don't watch his late show very often but we were talking about the Oscars here I thought. :-)

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
So, I'm confused. You didn't watch the Oscars because he is so political on his show, but you knew he wasn't going to be very political on the Oscars?

I don't understand how you can watch anything if you object to people being political anywhere?

Late night show hosts have ALWAYS made jokes about politics. All the way back to Carson. So I don't get the problem anyway.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
To me, Kimmel throws political jokes out there like other late night comedians through the years. I remember when Nixon and Ford were presidents, they were also roasted in shows like the Oscars... Ford especially. Now, if you are talking about Seth Meyers, he's the epitome of political IMO. But, I still like him and his humor.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
kimmel was never political until his son got sick, his was a show you could watch if you didn't want to hear political comment. The son getting sick made him realize how much people need medical care and the cost of it then the fact that a politician lied to him made him more political but he is still not like Colbert or Meyers. His comments are few and far between.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I'm trying to think of an Oscars host in my lifetime who didn't make political jokes. Can't think of one.

Even Jon Stewart hosted the Oscars. Chris Rock. Alec Baldwin. Jane Fonda! :-)

So, I really don't get why Kimmel, who is quite tame compared to some others, would rankle anyone.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
That's a good point too. Sadies. Jimmy's situation should have made it clear to all of us why health care should be a right, not an extravagance.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
And yes, I do watch Kimmel on late night all the time because I adore him. He is less political than Meyers or Colbert, all of whom I find extremely intelligent, witty, and funny. Kimmel has such heart. He's my favorite.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
It’s amazing how vocal you become when you have a sick child and realize how screwed up the system is

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
yes, and he was fortunate enough to be able to afford whatever his child needed.

He's speaking up for all the people not so fortunate.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 1:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
Kimmel is not funny and his television show should be cancelled.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 1:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The ratings disagree. :-) The two more political hosts, Kimmel and Colbert, are climbing, while Fallon is falling.

Jimmy Kimmel's speech on his son's birth defect and how it affected them and how it would affect others not in his financial position was one of the best speeches of the past year. It would touch anyone who cares about children.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Except that much of his speech was incorrect.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 6:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
No, it was not. There are some commentators in la la land that think these kids aren't denied treatment. They are. Don't let their lying confuse you.

Hospitals are only required to *stabilize* these kids. They aren't required to fix them. That means they could get immediate emergency care, but not the ongoing surgeries necessary to preserve their lives.

Even if they got treatment, before the ACA, they would max out their lifetime benefits in a few years. And then what?

Texannie

07-15-2001

Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 6:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I work for a hospital system which I love and admire. I think they do amazing things. Having said that, Kar is 100% correct.
Most decent hospitals will help find funding/charity care, but they can only do so much. Families can max out their lifetime benefits on the exchange so quickly.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Texannie.

Just to be clear, exchange policies have no lifetime limits on necessary benefits. It was before the ACA that benefits could be capped, and the ACA did away with that.

I had a friend who had her baby at 33 weeks. 7 weeks in the hospital, and he was already at 75% of his *lifetime* limit on benefits. At 7 weeks old.

And it just about sent them into bankruptcy. That was 20 years ago.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
I thought we were talking about the oscars and his show too?

He is not funny.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I think he is adorable and funny!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 8:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yes, and he made the speech about his child on his show. So you are correct. :-)

I like him too Texannie. He's so genuine.