TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 06, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: 2018 Academy Awards/Oscars: Archive through March 06, 2018 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 9:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Congrats to Frances McDormand for best actress! Yes!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 9:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I was hoping for a Sally Hawkins win, but ok with Frances. (Which I am sure will make sleep better, lol)
Someone please buy Frances a hairbrush and a pretty dress.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The Shape of Water won best picture! Yay! WooHoo! I really loved that movie.

We all sure were right that The Post wasn't going to win much tonight.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 9:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Hip Hip Hooray, Hi Hip Hooray!!!!
So happy The Shape of Water won Best Picture.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 5:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Isn’t the focus supposed to be on the people who died and are being remembered???

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 7:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
Who won the jet ski? :-)

Reader234

08-13-2000

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 8:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Texannie we said the same thing. That was the worst, why pan away from the pictures to the singer! And the color they chose for the memorials blech

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 9:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
It's no change from prior years. They do that every year.

Mysticlady

07-05-2007

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 9:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mysticlady a private message Print Post    
Kimmel revealed the jet ski winner: Mark Bridges, who had won the Costume Design Oscar for "Phantom Thread."

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 9:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I'm glad "Call Me By Your Name" didn't get shut out. It was so nice to see James Ivory finally win his Oscar. I was hoping Timothee Chalamet would win Best Actor, but he -- along with everyone else in the category -- had zero chance against Gary Oldman. Oldman was a "lock" as were McDormand, Janney and Rockwell - no shockers this year.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 9:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I don't watch movies at a theater any longer. I watch the DVDs with captioning. I don't miss a word that way.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 11:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
zFrom the Associated Press:

"Breaking News - Story Developing
Los Angeles police say a man has been arrested for allegedly stealing Frances McDormand's Oscar statuette
Mar 05, 2018"

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
She got it back and the thief was arrested.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/05/frances-mcdormand-gets-her-oscar-back-after-thief-allegedly-swipes-it-at-party/

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
She left it to be engraved and it was stolen, but one of Wolfgang Puck's photographers caught it.

She didn't want him to be arrested but he was.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'd say overall it was a pretty good show. Nothing spectacularly memorable but it sounds like the movies and actors that won were good choices.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I have to say Jimmy Kimmel seems uniquely talented and able to navigate the complicated issues, poke fun at people, and not offend anyone, all while being very entertaining.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree he is a good host. He's funny and nice. For example, I liked how he had the presence of mind to give that other person from the Best Picture winner a chance to speak at the end after they had played him off. It was a nice thing to do and it only took a few seconds.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 5:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I must be getting old because I don't seem to find any enthusiasm watching the Oscars, not even the fashion, I mostly skipped to the In Memoriam and the last 3 Oscar presentations, all movies I didn't even hear about and that I just ordered at my library and I'm on a waiting list of about 650 before me. No rush...

(The only thing nice I noticed is that the black dress was almost non existent, and lots and lots of colours instead, but nothing exciting as in the past, yep, I'm getting old)

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
the in memoriam seemed shorter this year, did less people die or did they leave people out?

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Kar, I agree. I really love him. He also seems like a genuinely nice guy, who is loyal to his friends/family from years ago. His little son has had major health problems, I think he had to have heart surgery

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
He also brings Guillermo along to give like this, which I like.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 11:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I love Jimmy Kimmel too. He's a good host and just a clever, likable and very witty guy.

I was so glad the Cinematographer from Blade Runner won. He has a HUGE body of work. Just so amazingly impressive that this was his first win. Long overdue.

I found when I was watching Darkest Hour I just kept thinking how much better Dunkirk was and that I'd rather be watching that film. :-)

Call me By Your Name -- for me the pivotal moment was when the father and son were talking near the end. Breathtakingly beautiful and real. That brought the film together for me.

And I'm going to pretend I didn't even see you all chatting about deaf people being offended by The Shape of Water. It is a lovely movie and my pick for best of the year. If they can't see the art and beauty in it they are missing out.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 11:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I guess none of you remember Kimmel for the Man show days, when he did guy stuff and demeaned women as part of the joke. Not saying he is not a nice guy, but he went through his youthful bad taste

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 6:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I remember that, but it seems that he has grown a bit from those days if you see his monologues from his show.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
When I started watching The Shape of water and she started dancing, I did not understand how she could hear the music, I don't know why I thought she could hear the music it was just what I thought. Then people were talking to her and she was not paying attention to their lips so I did not understand how she was deaf but hearing the music and people talking to her. A short time later they explain that she is mute and not deaf. After that I understood and only then could focus on the film. So I kind of understand why people were upset it was a little confusing.