TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 04, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: 2018 Academy Awards/Oscars: Archive through March 04, 2018 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, March 02, 2018 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
It's this Sunday, March 4.

Here is the full list of nominees.
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/list-2018-oscar-nominations-1202668757/

Here's the list for "Best Picture" in case you want to hurry up and get a couple more of them watched before then.

Best Picture:

“Call Me by Your Name”
“Darkest Hour”
“Dunkirk”
“Get Out”
“Lady Bird”
“Phantom Thread”
“The Post”
“The Shape of Water”
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, March 02, 2018 - 9:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
So far I've seen 4 of the Best Picture noms.

Three Billboards, Shape of Water, Lady Bird and Get Out.

Three Billboards is my favorite out of those.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, March 02, 2018 - 10:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Really, I have heard mixed reviews about 3 Billboards, but I saw today it is probably going to win.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, March 02, 2018 - 10:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Today we say "I, Tonya" and I thought Allison Janney was so good as Tonya's mom. She's nominated for supporting actress, and I hope she wins. Margot Robbie was nominated for best actress from the movie, but I thought she was just ok.

I'm rooting for Frances McDormand from from 3 Billboards for best actress.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, March 02, 2018 - 10:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I love the Oscars. I've seen all of the Best Pic nominees. Three Billboards and The Shape of Water would be my favorites. Darkest Hour, Phantom Thread, and the Post I would say are least deserving. I think the Florida Project deserved one of those spots.

I liked I Tonya a lot too. Very entertaining.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 7:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I keep hearing Best Pic is likely to be either Shape of Water or Three Billboards. I saw Three Billboards recently -- no other nominees. I liked it. Also hear Frances McDormand is likely to be Best Actress. I do like her -- ever since Fargo.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 8:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I’m amazed at how many nominees there are for Best Picture. There seem to be more and more.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Up to ten. They changed it from five a few years ago.

I love mcdormand too

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
We just finished watching "The Post". I really don't see many awards headed its way.

We just started "Darkest Hour", but it's not really holding my attention. You can tell because I'm posting during it. LOL

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 7:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
"Darkest Hour" got so good in the second half. Gary Oldman was awesome as Winston Churchill.

Ok, now I have seen 6 of the nominees.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 9:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I used to try to see all the best pictures. Now, none of them interest me in the least.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 10:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
That's too bad. At least 3 or 4 of them were very worthwhile.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 10:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Heard recently that The Post and 2015 Oscar winner for Best Pic Spotlight are similar movies, but Spotlight is far better than The Post.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 10:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The only thing about them that was the same was the characters worked for a big newspaper. Spotlight uncovered child molestation in the Catholic church, while The Post was mostly about a newspaper defying lawsuits by publishing leaked government papers.

The mood and theme of both were so different. I didn't feel like I was watching similar movies.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 8:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yes. I don’t feel they were similar at all. Spotlight was very engaging. The Post was good but very standard. If it didn’t star Streep and Hanks I didn’t think it would have been nominated at all.

There are several excellent films this year. Lady Bird is a beautiful mother daughter film about growing up. Also about self discovery : Call Me By Your Name - a smaller love story with a beautiful father son scene.

Get Out is an original semi-horror film. Entertaining.

Shape of Water is another love story. Three billboards is also about self discovery and really takes you unexpected places.

Dunkirk is a very well done war movie. Not exploitively violent and a great story. Darkest Hour has a great performance but not really an attention grabber. And Phantom Thread is a pretentious bore. So I’d recommend all but two of the films overall.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 9:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I did hear that Gary Oldman was excellent as Churchill, and that he was very dedicated to being in makeup and getting into his character.

I am hoping Allison Janey gets an award for her portrayal of Tonya Hardings Mom.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I haven't seen any of these movies but I'm enjoying reading everyone's comments. The one that interests me the most is "The Shape of Water".

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
You will love it Jimmer. A sci-fi love story.

I think I posted in the movies area how I was a little surprised it had a song and dance number. LOL (no it's not a musical haha)

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Hmmm, Maybe I'll try to get Dunkirk watched today before the awards show since Brenda says it was good. Plus, DH likes war movies.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 11:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I forgot to say "The Shape of Water" is also an exciting thriller, not just a sci-fi love story.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
We attended the AMC Best Picture Showcase and here is my take on the nominated films:

Phantom Thread:
Daniel Day Lewis was his usual good self.The movie was a bit different from what I thought as I expected a bit more focus on fashion. Lesley Manville had a couple of good scenes. The movie rather reminds me of Suspicion. Overall, I don't think it was a really good movie.

Lady Bird:
I quite like Saorise Ronan, especially in The Grand Budapest Hotel. Lady Bird mostly made me glad I wasn't a teenager nor do I have a teenage. There are a few funny scenes.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri:
I was a bit under whelmed. It seemed so much less than it could have been. There are several ridiculous bits and plot holes/mistakes. A crazy cop not arrested by the new Sherriff who witnesses, along with probably a half dozen citizens, an atrocious act committed by the cop in front of them in broad daylight. The news of the old Sherriff's death being a surprise to crazy cop? In a town that small the whole dang force, indeed the whole town would be aware in very short order. A souvenir shop staffed by 2 people in a dead little town? A burned patch of ground that would have regrown in the many months that had passed? The possible suspect passing thru town tormenting Mildred with such detail also seems most unlikely. The ending? Really?
Woody Harrelson's nomination is a joke. Frances McDormand's portrayal of Mildred was so one note and very reminiscent of her Olive Kitteridge. I don't think it was a bad performance but I was disappointed. I expected more from her. She will probably win but there are a couple other performances that were better this year. Sam Rockwell gave a great performance and will likely win although I think I would rather see Richard Jenkins take the gold statue.

The Shape of Water:
This was my favorite of all the films this year. The movie is fanciful, imaginative, beautifully acted and filmed. The score is lovely. Sally Hawkins was in fine form. Her crafting of of Elisa gave us a character who was intelligent, warm, sweet, kind, funny, and courageous. I always enjoy seeing Octavia Spencer on screen. As I mentioned earlier I am rooting for Richard Jenkins this year. His portrayal of Giles is acting at it's finest. Whoever thought that a creature such as one from a black lagoon might hold so much "appeal" to someone?

Dunkirk:
What a shame. The sound was so poor, background noises too loud that it was difficult to hear the actors. The idea of the film is interesting but the execution lacking.

Darkest Hour:
Well done and Gary Oldman was in fine fettle as Winston Churchill. I also liked Kristin Scott Thomas as Clemmie.
(I want the sleigh bed from the movie.)

Call Me by Your Name:
I would rather be poked by 100 hot sharp pointy sticks than have to endure the gawdawfulness of this movie again. It has no redeeming qualities. None of the characters are interesting or particularly likeable. It damn near ruined Italy for me and I may never be able to eat fruit again. How it was nominated for anything is questionable and Timothee Chalamet is not deserving either. Very disappointing and very much an utter waste of time. Blech!!!

The Post:
It was ok, not a great movie but ok. Interesting subject.

Get Out:
This was the only movie we had already seen using On Demand at home. I was surprised that I liked it the 1st time and I liked it even better the 2nd. Not sure it should be an Oscar contender but it was a good movie. I quite like Daniel Kaluuya in this and an episode of Black Mirror.

Overall, I think there were at least 3 other movies I would have chosen for Best Picture options, Coco, The Big Sick and I, Tonya. I think most of the currently nominated movies are not much better than an old ABC after school or movie of the week.

My votes for the top 6 awards would go to:
The Shape of Water
Sally Hawkins
Gary Oldman
Allison Janney
Richard Jenkins
Guillermo del Toro

I don't think that is what will happen this evening, but I can hope.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Now this is very cool having just watched "Darkest Hour" and the very next movie we're watching is "Dunkirk". Because their events overlap. Darkest Hour takes place mostly at home in England, while Dunkirk is mostly in the battle in France. The two movies are connected. I didn't realize that until I started watching them. The movie Dunkirk shows the events that had Churchill so troubled in Darkest Hour.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I see they let Ryan Seacrest come to "E"'s red carpet prior to the Oscars.

I have never understood why he is considered "such hot stuff", never saw any special talent to me.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Sugar, for the most part I would have to agree with your post. I did not see Call Me By Your Name (the only one I did not see) and I think I will wait to see it on tv.

The Shape of Water was an amazing film and I love Sally Hawkins.

I did also like Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, but I found the acting a bit dull. I do think it will win tonight but you never know.

I, Tonya should have been one of the nominations and The Post should not be there. I hated it. But my daughter and Fiance (who are journalists) loved it.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 4:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
People seen to be standing a bit away from Ryan Seacrest.