TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 11, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Golden Globe Awards: Archive through January 11, 2017 users admin

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, January 09, 2017 - 2:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"My objection is not what she said. It is that once again a venue that has nothing to do with Politics was used to push an agenda."

Streep's "agenda" in that speech was respect and civility.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Monday, January 09, 2017 - 2:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
Exactly. Not once was Trumps name said, not once was politics discussed. It was a speech about bullies and disrespect and violence.

But hey, if you recognized Trump as the object of her pleas, then you are admitting that he is the problem.

Cinnamongirl

01-10-2001

Monday, January 09, 2017 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cinnamongirl a private message Print Post    
from people mag...

When asked by The Hollywood Reporter in August 2015 if there are any actresses that he loves, Trump praised the Florence Foster Jenkins star. “Julia Roberts is terrific, and many others. Meryl Streep is excellent; she’s a fine person, too,” he said. “The problem is I’ll name three or four or five [actresses] and then the hundred that I know will be insulted, and I don’t mean to insult them.”

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, January 09, 2017 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I turned it off as soon as it got political. I'm so sick and tired of out of touch celebrities giving me their opinion.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Monday, January 09, 2017 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
like Trump?

because all the terms use to describe, describe him.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, January 09, 2017 - 4:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Lakecat, movies and tv shows themselves are often political in nature. It seems to me to make no sense to say politics can't be at the awards shows.

You were right to change the channel if politics offends you. But the rest of us will keep watching.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, January 09, 2017 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I thought it was much less political than it has been in the past.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, January 09, 2017 - 5:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Nope, don't care to be lectured by the likes of her,and I don't need to be told how vilified she is while she cashes her multi million dollar checks. I'm sure there are some of our law enforcement that can enlighten her on being villified. I wouldn't want Donald Trump interrupting my awards show bemoaning the policies of The Affordable Care Act either.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, January 09, 2017 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Being political at awards shows is nothing new. It's almost more of surprise if someone doesn't say something political or something out of the norm. It's part of the fun of watching. And every now and then someone comes up with something that is heartfelt and sincere.

Plus the point I've been making is that Streep made one of the most generic comments possible. What has America become if a celebrity can't discourage people from making fun of people with disabilities?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, January 09, 2017 - 5:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Wow, I have trouble watching the "supposed" news because it is so political, didn't get that vibe from the Golden Globes at all.

I did stop and listen to Meryl Streep and didn't hear one political statement simply a request to stop violence, treat people respectfully, and stop bullying.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Monday, January 09, 2017 - 6:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
Evidently being against those things is a liberal agenda and something Trump and his Administration support.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, January 09, 2017 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Award shows have always gotten political. Way back to the Marlon Brando days. Leo and Climate change. Personally I like it when they use their platform to try and do good in the world. Stopping climate change, stopping bullying, ensuring freedom of the press. These are good things. There was no mention of party line. I applaud Meryl for not being afraid of the twittering bully.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, January 09, 2017 - 9:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Some people, like Trump, need to be lectured. She was only lecturing you if you like making fun of people with disabilities, so no idea why you would take it personally.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 12:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I turned it off as soon as it got political. I'm so sick and tired of out of touch celebrities giving me their opinion."

How did you get all the way to Meryl Streep's speech? Hugh Laurie accepted an award earlier in the show and said "I accept this award on behalf of psycopathic billionaires everywhere". He also said this would be the last Golden Globe Awards show because it contained the words Hollywood", "Foreign", and "Press". WAY more political than Ms Streep's comments.

It was hysterical.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 6:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
My reaction was more sadness, i guess. I always look forward to Meryl's speeches because she is so witty, charming and funny. I agree with what she said and have no issue with the message. But if I want to watch political messages, thoughts, viewpoints I would turn on the seemingly million news stations with talking heads expousing their opinions or other people arguing their opinions.

I watch the Golden Globes (awards shoes in general, but particularly the GG) because it's funny, witty and entertaining.
It just doesn't seem like the right forum. Didn't like it when Marlon Brando did it, Leo ect.
To me it's one thing to give digs like Jimmy Fallon did or Hugh Laurie did, and I love me a good political satire like SNL skits, I have seen her make skewering comments with such wit and charm that it's kind of a 'what/what moment'.
This just left me disappointed. Not in her views, just a choice of venue and delivery.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 9:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
As I noted, the Golden Globes are awards for tv shows and movies, many of which themselves contain political messages. And serious ones, not just comedic ones.

It's America. People should have the opportunity when they rise to such a high level to speak their mind. They've earned it.

And we elected a damn celebrity for doing just that. It seems weird to me to draw these arbitrary lines, you can talk about politics here but not here. Why?

Just like these discussion boards, there are going to be things you like and things you don't. It doesn't have to be all your way.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 8:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
No, it doesn't have to be my way, But one can certainly still express their opinion.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 9:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Of course. :-)

I still just don't get the problem with it. But that's just me.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 7:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I find it entertaining. However, I understand how some people feel it is misusing a platform that was intended for one thing (celebrating the arts) to talk about something else (politics). It would be sort of like speaking at your child's graduation and rather than talking about young people and their future, launching into a diatribe about Trump. You can say what you want but it doesn't mean everyone would think it's appropriate or enjoy hearing it.

But again, talking about not bullying disabled people should hardly be considered political anyway. That it is now considered political is just a sad statement about the current state of the U.S.

Bbpeach

07-06-2005

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 8:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bbpeach a private message Print Post    
And after all, isn't Melania's platform supposed to be anti-bullying?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 8:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Absolutely. Meryl is showing her support for Melania!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
And Meryl is getting bullied for it!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It would be sort of like speaking at your child's graduation and rather than talking about young people and their future, launching into a diatribe about Trump.

Haven't been to a US college graduation lately, have you? While they aren't diatribes per se, I have attended them where there are carefully worded comments (like Streep's) in BOTH directions. I was quite in disagreement at my son's graduation from business school as the guest speaker spoke. But it didn't ruin it for me. I didn't leave. And I didn't complain.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well it's nice you didn't complain but people do have as much right to complain or say they don't like something as Streep has the right to make that speech.

Anyway, it's all an enormous waste of time. No one is going to see the light in either direction. If more people cared what celebrities think, then Trump wouldn't be President.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 12:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Do people have that right? Yes. And I have a right to say that it's my opinion that it's not right to complain. We have too many chips on our shoulders these days, over little things. But I guess it's easier to focus on those than the really big things.

ETA: And Meryl Streep had the right to speak her opinion as well.