TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 30, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Leftovers on HBO: Archive through May 30, 2017 users admin

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 2:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
For me the finale represented awakening, healing, and forgiveness in different parts of the show. I also loved the emotional if slightly off-key Paul Simon "Homeward Bound" song. Regina King = fabulous with or without dialogue! Kudos to all. I have watched it three times already.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I absolutely hated...to see the episode end. As far as I'm concerned, the show ranks right up there with HBO's other classics, "The Wire," "Six Feet Under," "The Sopranos" and "Oz." I'll be very upset if they don't give us a season three!

Spangs

10-07-2005

Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 10:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spangs a private message Print Post    
I agree Uncle Ricky. Erika on the bridge with Evie broke me down.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
You all have stronger constitutions than I do, I was feeling so anxious about everything that was going on that I was nauseated!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 2:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Anyone else notice how the end of season 2 mirrored the end of season 1?

Both seasons ended with the Guilty remnants causing outrageous mayhem and chaos in an otherwise normal, peaceful town.

Both seasons ended with Kevin going back to his home to be with his family. (although, this season he had more family with him than last season).

I really really NEED a third season of "The Leftovers"...the writing is unpredictable and fascinating and the acting skills of this cast is completely captivating and mesmerizing.

The only bad thing about this show is that it's SO good, it felt like it took forever for season 2 to get here and then it was so engaging, it seemed to be over barely after it began!

I really want to see a slew of emmys going to this show. Not only do the actors writers and producers and directors deserve it but that could help guarantee another season, or more.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
If we both lived in NYC, SanFran, may I assume you'd join me with the fans outside the HBO offices?

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/leftovers-season-3-fans-campaign-costume-hbo-1201655760/

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I would....except cigarette smoke makes my asthma kick in and I start to wheeze.

:-)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Officially renewed for a third but FINAL season!! That will be perfect, they can wrap everything up and make sure they say what they want to say.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Oh, I take it back... maybe not so wrapped up!

Damon Lindelof: "As we finished our most recent season, it became clear to us that the series as a whole was following the same model…and with our beginning and middle complete, the most exciting thing for us as storytellers would be to bring The Leftovers to a definitive end. And by ‘definitive,’ we mean ‘wildly ambiguous but hopefully mega-emotional,’ as all things related to this show are destined to be.

http://tvline.com/2015/12/10/the-leftovers-season-3-renewed-hbo-final/

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
WONDERFUL NEWS!!! Thank you, Kitt!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Woohoo!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
While we wait for the arrival of the third (and final) season, here is an in-depth interview with showrunner Damon Lindelof -- he doesn't give up any plot details, but he shares a lot of interesting background info about season two and the upcoming eight final episodes.

https://tinyurl.com/jgn9af7

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 11:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
That was Nora at the end, right?!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, April 17, 2017 - 5:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Yes, that was her. And she also appeared to be in Australia, but as an older person? That's what she looked like to me - but it could be a close relative who's been in Australia all this time? I'm sure I'm way off on my guesses.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, April 17, 2017 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I guess the world isn't ending in 13 days then. It's such a bizarre show, I wait for you guys to explain to me what I saw :-).

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 10:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
After tonight's episode, I no longer have any doubt. The Leftovers is the best TV series I have ever seen. Next Sunday is the series finale - I simply can't see how that episode can possibly top tonight's episode. I wish I could explain WHY it's the best - I can't - I've just never been more entertained by a TV show. I will miss it when it's gone. (But thanks to on-demand, I'll be able to watch it over and over again.) 😛

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, May 29, 2017 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I think I'm expecting a series finale that has some sort of closure for the viewers, but probably not the kind we'd all want or expect, and probably not for all the characters. These characters are "going through" something and when the series ends, my feeling is that they'll still be on their journey. My hope is that at least they'll know where they're headed or they'll find a way to move finally forward in a productive way.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, May 29, 2017 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
" I wish I could explain WHY it's the best - I can't "

For me, The Leftovers has left such a profound impact on me because it has evoked more empathy from me than any drama I've ever seen. When it's over I'll miss these great characters terribly...

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, May 29, 2017 - 11:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
...it has evoked more empathy from me than any drama I've ever seen.

Empathy! That's what I was struggling to come up with in trying to explain why I love the show so much. That's exactly right - thank you for your eloquence (once again), SFJF.

The characters and the acting are all just so amazing. I posted this on Twitter, but I won't hesitate to repeat it here: "Even if the world ends today, I can say I got to see the greatest TV series ever!"

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 12:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Yer welcome. You know, I hadn't even asked myself why I liked it so much but when I read your remark I realized why right away. I got to feel what they did, but I also got to walk away from the TV undamaged by it.

I've seen other shows that evoked a lot of empathy, sympathy, loss, and a lot of the other feelings the Leftovers characters experienced, but I often felt bad, sad, or depressed afterwards. I don't know if that was too much empathy, not enough, or just internalizing it too much to see it objectively. This show hit the mark on all those things so I felt what (I assume) they wanted me to feel, without getting an emotional hangover.

Thank you for prodding me to understand how I felt about this show by bringing up "why?".

Of course, now that I've said all that, I'll be truly upset if they end it with some stupid Hollywood cliche or cliffhanger! LOL

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 1:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Oh yeah...between you and me, one more reason I enjoyed The Leftovers so much is that I kind of fell in love with Justin Theroux a little bit. (Don't tell Jennifer!) :-)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I got behind on this when we went away a few weeks ago, and I am still three episodes behind. I was rushing to catch up mostly just so I could read your comments here, you guys always make me understand what's going on a lot better.

I'm up to the episode where they were in Australia and Kevin thought he saw Evie. I am still really unsure where this is all going and now even how much of what we see is actually real.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Of course, now that I've said all that, I'll be truly upset if they end it with some stupid Hollywood cliche or cliffhanger! LOL

You and me, both! Speaking of LOL, I have to share this delightful story about Justin Theroux.

I have two dear friends who live in Washington, DC (Steve and Tom). A couple of years ago, they were invited to a Christmas Eve dinner (in Ashland, Virginia) by friends of theirs, Max and Chris. The dinner, though, was hosted by a friend of the Max/Chris couple - that person turned out to be Justin Theroux's mother, Phyllis.

Shockingly, for everyone except Mrs. Theroux, Justin showed up for the dinner, too. And Steve ended up sitting right next to Justin during the dinner - that alone was a thrill, right?

Well, Justin's mother insisted on showing a DVD recording of the Halloween party that Steve and Tom had hosted the previous October in their DC home - the theme that year was "America's Got Talent" so Steve was in full Susan Boyle regalia while Tom was (a very tall, 6'2") Lady Gaga.

You can imagine the sheer mortification Steve and Tom felt as the DVD played for all the diners. Justin was a good sport and sat through the entire recording (30 minutes!) and applauded along with everyone else. Steve, of course, had no idea that the DVD would be shown OR that he'd be sitting next to Mr. Theroux. And, yes, Steve confirmed that Justin is just as good looking in person as he is on TV.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I haven't watched this show since ep1, and I really didn't like it. But while channel surfing, I stopped on a show that seemed to be a comedy. So I looked at the listing and to my surprise it was "The Leftovers"!

Did this show turn into a comedy at some point?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
That would be a shock, Uncle Ricky!

No comedy that I've seen, Naja, but as I said, I am a few episodes behind, and some episodes are more than the usual amount of strange.