TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Leah Remini: Scientology and Aftermath

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Leah Remini: Scientology and Aftermath users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 01, 2017Jimmer25 06-01-17  3:01 pm
Archive through August 03, 2017Babyjaxmom25 08-03-17  11:48 am
Archive through September 01, 2017Babyjaxmom25 09-01-17  11:38 am
Archive through September 14, 2017Rieann25 09-14-17  9:45 am
Archive through October 17, 2017Scotchbright25 10-17-17  1:41 pm
Archive through October 26, 2017Grooch25 10-26-17  2:21 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 3:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I think it was the HBO special I watched a year or so ago that said that the IRS attempted to go after Scientology to remove their tax exempt status, but the leaders ordered the members to sue individual tax collectors. The IRS was so inundated with lawsuits that they finally cried uncle and gave up. This is the way Scientology attacks people.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Sanfran, some cults qualify as religions as well. That doesn't make them legitimate in my view. I don't think legal is the ultimate qualifier of legitimate.

BabyJax: not sure that's exactly correct. The main church administration was housed on the Sea Org for several decades, so it wasn't subject to any country laws for some time.

Individual churches that were located in states were pursued. In response, scientology then committed an espionage campaign that resulted in many Scientologists going to jail, including Hubbard's wife. It also meant Hubbard stayed in hiding for the rest of his life.

The lawsuit campaign was against the IRS itself, hundreds of lawsuits were filed; and individual members were encouraged to file their own as well. Eventually that lead to a *negotiated* settlement in 1993, which resulted in Scientology paying over $12 million in back payroll taxes, and the IRS giving them tax exempt status, and all of the lawsuits were dropped. This was only possible because Hubbard had died and was no longer personally profiting off the "church's" activities.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 7:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
you would be shocked at the groups that claim they qualify for a religious property tax exemption

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 8:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Sanfran, some cults qualify as religions as well. That doesn't make them legitimate in my view. I don't think legal is the ultimate qualifier of legitimate. "

I have always thought of the word "legitimate" to mean "legal" since they both come from the same root so that confused me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=legitimate&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

---

There are lots of legitimate religious groups and organizations that are still cruel or harmful or deceitful.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, October 27, 2017 - 6:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
If the legal definition doesn’t work, what makes something legitimate? Good question.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, October 27, 2017 - 9:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
In standard English, we use the word legitimate to describe a lot of things that have nothing to do with legality/law. Sorry if that confused you.

being exactly as purposed :neither spurious nor false

a legitimate grievance

a legitimate practitioner

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/legitimate

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Monday, November 13, 2017 - 4:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
The bonus show last night was great. Leah and Mike had Tony Ortega as a guest. He has been writing and exposing Scientology for the last 20 years. The show was about "propaganda arms."

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, November 13, 2017 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
If an organization is tax exempt, as in a church, mosque, synagogue, or charity, they are not allowed to make huge profits that don't go to their charitable mission.

No way should Scientology qualify.

As shown last night Hubbard stressed the getting of publicity as the top goal in all these auxiliary operations, and making wild unsubstantiated claims that they are helping vast numbers of people, countries, etc.

I was only aware of Narconon until recently.. And that was on the list of cults by the cult awareness network.

Good show.. Yes pay people to smile while holding your leaflets when you could actually be helping people after a disaster!

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, October 26, 2018 - 6:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Season 3 starts Nov 27.

Citruscitygal

08-07-2003

Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 1:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Citruscitygal a private message Print Post    
Thank you Naja. Looking forward to it.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 11:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
YAY!!!

Lyn

08-06-2002

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lyn a private message Print Post    
I've been wondering when it would come back. Looking forward to how things progressed since last season

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Friday, November 02, 2018 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
Yipee!!!! Can't wait to see.

Lyn

08-06-2002

Monday, November 05, 2018 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lyn a private message Print Post    
A per season episode is airing on the 13th that has to do with Jehovah Witnesses/Scientology (2hrs)

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 7:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Lyn, is it on the same station as Leah Remini's show?

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Lexie, yes, it is on A&E. If you have Leah's show set up to record, your DVR should pick up this one, too. I already checked mine, and it's right there in the future recordings. Don't you love modern technology???

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Yes I do BJM. Unfortunately, my cable/DVR only goes five days ahead of the current day (which gives me a case of the sadz).

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 6:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
uuuggghhh... I'm so stupid. I thought it was posted that it was the 23rd. I was going through my DVR future recordings and there it is - because it is on the 13th just as correctly posted.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Yay!!! You found it!

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Yeah... I'm so excited!

Lyn

08-06-2002

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - 8:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lyn a private message Print Post    
Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath to End With 2-Hour Special Featuring Danny Masterson Accusers

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - 9:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I'll miss this show. I think she's done a lot of good educating people.

Wowprincess

09-04-2006

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wowprincess a private message Print Post    
I'll miss the show as well. But honestly, until Law Enforcement is willing to step up here, I'm not sure how much further she can go.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: