TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Dirty Dancing

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Dirty Dancing users admin

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Anyone watching? I was worried that it would be a poor remake of the original, but thankfully they have had added a lot of new context, dances that it just seems like a different version.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 5:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Good article,
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/22/arts/television/dirty-dancing-remake-abc.html?_r=0

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Washington Post review was scathing. They said everyong but Debra Messing was a waste of their talent. I never planned to watch anyway but hope it is an enjoyable three hours for those who do watch.

And maybe the reviewer was wrong.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I'm enjoying it.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Is it a live thing, like Grease?

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I loved the original, one of my all time favorite movies! but i always felt like there were some weird edits that made no sense. In a way, i feel like this is filling in those edits that didn't make sense.
If you compare it to the original, you most likely won't care for it. But if you can take it as a new movie with similar characters, you will really enjoy it.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
No, Kitt, it's pre-recorded.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 8:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Since i am posting alone! LOL

When Dr. Houseman turned and sang I had the time of my life...i just died!!!

And loved the ending!!!!! Loved the closure.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Texannie, I often carry on conversations alone in a thread.

I am watching Survivor.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Thanks Texannie. Survivor or us too, but I am taping Dirty Dancing.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Thank you...thank you very much...don't forget to tip your waiter!!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I wasn't a huge fan of the first one, but of course loved Patrick Swayze for many reasons.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 6:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I wasn't a big fan of the first one either. I would have watched (or at least recorded) this one if it had been live. I love the live productions.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 6:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I only saw the last 10 minutes (forgot to record it) and I was very disappointed. I guess maybe if I had seen the whole thing I would have been more prepared for the differences...but I found neither actor was a match for Grey/Swayze and I didn't like how they changed the finale dance.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 7:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I thought casting was horrible. Especially for Baby, Johnny and Lisa.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 9:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Abigail Breslin looked too much like a baby.

There were some people that stood out like Katey Sagal and Debra Messing but this was just not good at all. Should have just left it alone or at least found some leads with a little bit of chemistry.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I wasn't a huge fan of the original either, this may be why I liked the current one. I agree, Abigail Breslin looked like a child and very awkward. I think she'd look more like an 18 yr old had she lost about 10-15 pounds. The two of them together was not believable.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I have only watched first 2 hours, bedtime beckoned. Lol will finish it tonight. I didn't think it was necessarily a casting issue. Abigail is a good actress and she is 21 yrs old so close enough to age of her character. The Johnny actor was also talented. I saw the problem as coming more from behind the camera. They spent valuable time developing the characters that were largely 2 dimensional in original film. By doing this, they neglected character development for the two main roles. I am not hating it though, I wish they would have more of this type of entertainment on tv.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 2:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
This was horrible. What I saw of it at least. I had to turn it off because I was cringing too much. There was absolutely no chemistry between anyone. There was no charisma whatsoever. It had no pop. I felt like everyone was just doing the first script read through with zero emotion. Giant fail on behalf of the producer of this show.

No one puts Baby in a remake.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, May 26, 2017 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I thought it was very enjoyable. I told hubby before we started watching, "Don't compare it to the original movie! Just watch and enjoy on its own merits." We recorded it and only watched the first two hours last night (bedtime). Will watch the rest tonight. Totally enjoyed it.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, May 26, 2017 - 11:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Baby literally looked like a baby.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, May 26, 2017 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Babyjaxmom, that was the attitude we took too.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Totally loved it. Abigail Breslin is not a graceful dancer, but she was great in the part. Hubby has loved her since she was in Signs as a tiny girl. Thought the whole production was throroughly enjoyable. Too bad people didn't give it a chance.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 11:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I think calling it a remake doomed it. If it had been "inspired by Dirty Dancing' then maybe people might have given it a chance.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: