TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
20/20 Specials

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: 20/20 Specials users admin

Holly

07-21-2001

Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 1:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Did anyone watch Diane Sawyer's 20/20 special on ABC last night: “My Reality: A Hidden America"? It was excellent, truthfully showing what is *really* going on with this country's middle class, and in total contrast to Obama's final 'state of the union' speech earlier this week telling us how well everything is going. Even professionals like firemen and college professors are having to work two jobs and still take food stamps trying to survive.

I usually don't care for Sawyer (much too saccharine for my taste) but she did a good job painting an across the country picture of life for middle Americans. It's just sad. Apparently she will be following the people facing hardships interviewed for this special over the next year and then plans to do a follow-up special on them.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Huh. I thought only lazy, drug-addicted bums got food stamps. Learn something new every day. :-)

I do agree it's time to raise the minimum wage. Way past time in fact.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 1:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I agree, Holly, on both counts. It was a good show and I don't usually care for Diane Sawyer. A little of her goes a long way. And compared to 48 Hours and Dateline, I don't care much for 20/20. Can barely tolerate David Muir and Elizabeth Vargas. Even if Muir does ABC national news, he comes from Nightline so he's kind of a tabloid journalist to me -- not a newsman. Would have much preferred Dan Harris. Elizabeth Vargas has alcohol in her past. ABC keeps taking her back. She's getting off easy not losing ABC employment.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I should also mention that perhaps one could our President Elect view this documentary. Since he thinks Americans get paid too much.

So, thinking he will fix this travesty is probably futile.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Not really sure why an alcoholic in recovery shouldn't be allowed to keep her job.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Vargas was taken back twice. I don't think that's the norm at all for an employer. Special treatment for Vargas? Would ABC go for three?

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 8:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Actually, it is. I work for an alcohol and substance abuse treatment center. We work with many employers who want to help their employees recover and keep their jobs. Not just executives, but fire fighters, police, medical professionals. Thankfully more and more employers are realizing that this is a disease. They wouldn't fire someone for having diabetes.
Of course, if the disease impacts their job negatively there are consequences. I see many employers give the employee an ultimatum. Some employers require reporting from us ect. Ultimately, the success of the treatment is up to the person, but 2nd/3rd chances are given.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
Alcoholism is a disease. The idea that people should not be allowed to work because they have a disease is against the law.

So, using your logic, if a person gets cancer three times, they should be fired?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It comes from the idea that alcoholism or even mental illness is the consequence of deliberate weakness on the part of the person. That if the person was morally or mentally stronger then it wouldn't happen. Which is wrong IMO.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I'm so glad to hear that Texannie. If a person is working to get well then I would hope an employer would support that. Imagine how much harder it would be to get well if you were fired from your job? How does that help anyone?

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
We work with so many EAP (Employee Assistance Programs) to help their employees get treatment.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Friday, May 11, 2018 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
The pilots who landed the Southwest plane with the damaged engine/blown out window/fatality will talk about what happened in the cockpit.

"Full story on ABC News' on Friday, May 11 at 10 p.m. ET"

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: