TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Preacher

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Preacher users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 26, 2016Kitt25 06-26-16  10:07 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, June 27, 2016 - 5:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Haven't read the entire thread yet as DH and I just watched the first episode yesterday. I'm sure I'm missed about 70%, so I KNOW I'm going to have to watch again. I'm mainly watching because I adore Graham McTavish, but I definitely was intrigued enough by the first ep to continue watching.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, June 27, 2016 - 6:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Kitt, it is kind of exhausting, esp when they show people that we dont hear from again for weeks (the 1800 Indian guy)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I eagerly look forward to this show every week....I think it's very original and the mystery is being revealed piece by piece without making us wait too long.

Some of my attraction to the show might be because the newest revelations support my original theory....that the two guys in hats are from heaven (angels?) as I suspected and the mysterious force that entered the Preacher is a power taken from religious mythology. The guys in hats seemed to imply that it was more of a force from hell than heaven though. Maybe "hell" was that coffee can where the devil has been kept for eons....:-)

It seems to me that the flashbacks to 1881 are painting "Ratwater" as some kind of Soddom and Gomorrah of the old west. And I'm still going by the assumption that the town of 1881's Ratwater is currently known as Annville. Maybe it's a place where good and evil are in constant combat.

Btw, for the first few episodes I thought the town was named "Anvil"....but then last week's episode started with a shot of the neon sign on the "Annville Hotel". I wonder who "Ann" was....if they explained it then I must've missed it.

The best part for me is how unpredictable this show is....and there's just enough humor to surprise me when I'm least expecting it. I do wonder how a preacher with this mysterious power living inside him can justify saving a soul if he used the power to force someone to "serve god"? Sounds like there's a lot of wiggle room when it comes to good vs evil in this bizarre world.

Oh yeah.....and the man whose soul Jesse saved seems perfectly justified in murdering a room full of people as he "serves god"!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think you're definitely right about it all being religious, since you mentioned it I've seen it in everything, even though I hadn't seen it in anything until you said it.

But I don't know anything about the bible at all, not brought up with any religion, so although I can frame it that way I think things are going over my head. Add that to my general lack of memory for faces and I'm having difficulty following what's going on. I'm going to stick with it a bit more because I want to like it because it's so odd. I think when the season is over I will watch again (assuming I actually do make it through the season) and it will be easier to follow.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 8:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I'm not exactly a biblical scholar either...but I learned a lot from watching "Supernatural"! :-)

" I think when the season is over I will watch again (assuming I actually do make it through the season) and it will be easier to follow."

That's a good idea. I was at a loss the first time I saw the premiere...but re-watching it after seeing Talking Preacher made all the difference in the world! Things seemed to suddenly click into place. It was learning that "Jesse Custer" is an anagram for "Secret Jesus" that jump started my "religious theory"...but in retrospect, the fact that it's called "Preacher" should've been a big hint right up front!

My Sodom and Gomorrah comparison was just a passing thought when I saw that 1881 scene this week and only because I was looking for religious references. The town of Ratwater just seemed "unholy" to me because the people didn't seem to care about anyone or anything but themselves and their own selfish desires. No one there even seemed to even bat an eye when something violent was happening right next to them.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, July 01, 2016 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I liked this episode of preacher more than the last few episodes I'm wondering if that cowboy is Jessie in a past life or if the cowboy is the entity that's inside of Jessie because when he spoke he sounds like the voice that Jesse has when he commands people to do things.. also that white guy that shot his horse look like a young cleaned up version of Cassidy

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, August 01, 2016 - 9:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Just finished the finale of season 1.

I LOVE THIS SHOW!

It was so unpredictable and the characters unforgettable. Once I got that the focus was religious rather than science fiction or monsters it seemed to move right along with little effort on my part. It was just getting over the hump of that first episode and then it was smooth coasting to wonderfully satisfying season finale!

Answers were revealed as it moved along and even when people did things that seemed to make no sense, it all seemed to fit together by the end. Although even when we got answers, we got more questions, but that wasn't a bad thing. The new questions were about new characters and/or new situations....so it wasn't just waiting for the end to to learn the answer to the big question in the first episode.

I'd say it's like taking parts of the bible and reinterpreting it through the lens of a gritty western and weaving it into a bizarre modern tale with a bit of everything mixed in. It was a tale about atonement, love, robbery, revenge, faith, hate, greed, a vampire, and the search for god.

Oh yeah, and I just loved finally learning the story behind Larry the Indian and Pedro the gopher.

The first thing I did after finishing this season was to look up the possibility of a season 2 and there IS one! An extended one! 13 episodes for season 2 in 2017. I can't wait. This was just a roller coaster of thrills and surprises and fun for me.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, August 01, 2016 - 9:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Oh Sanfran, I am watching the finale now and I just don't have a clue what is going on!! I can follow most of the stuff in the now time, none of the stuff in the Old West, and only vague bits in between.

I think I'm just too literal, I'm not very good at symbolism. Like the car park full of blood goop?!!? What was that!? Probably doesn't help that I know almost nothing about the bible.

Not sure I can watch next season. I thought if I kept at it, it would all come together but I was wrong! Now I'm just hoping Eugene gets back before the end of the episode, then I get to watch my Chris Hardwick be all excited about something I'm clueless about.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, August 01, 2016 - 10:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The second half of the show was pretty wild! But I still don't know what's going on.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Kitt...

" I can follow most of the stuff in the now time, none of the stuff in the Old West"

The cowboy was still a mystery but they do talk about him and where he was on Talking Preacher.

Gee, I hope you happened to catch the episode of Talking Preacher after the finale! They only did one for the premiere and then last night for the finale.

"Like the car park full of blood goop?!!? What was that!?"

That wasn't a car park, it was the waste pool of the unneeded crap (literally) from the slaughter of the cows and it was located under the meat processing plant's slaughter room.

The end is great....(paraphrased) "we'll help him if he needs us but if not, we'll kick his ass".

You really don't have to know much about the bible at all to get the religious references. I don;t know that much....most of what I learned as a child were the fairy tale stories of Eden, Noah, Jonah, Goliath, etc... A lot of the dogma just never made any sense to me.

God, angels, good and evil, heaven and hell...all are basic concepts in the bible but they're also all ideas that are frequently referenced outside of religions in our culture and most other cultures. This show is about those concepts, but it's not about the bible, as most people understand it.

It's like they took those basic ideas that happen to be found in most religions, but rewrote the narrative as a modern day western with a vampire.

I hope that helps...I don't know if I can explain it any better. I know some true believers would think of this show as blasphemous, but not being a believer, I just found it to be purely unpredictable fun. It makes as much sense to me as the real bible stories I was told when I was a kid.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I'm not sure cow slaughter goop is any more appealing than blood goop but it does make more sense!

Yes, I watched Talking Preacher and it did help a lot. I think if they'd had one after each episode I'd have been okay, but I spent too many weeks just confused. I make it worse for myself by paying less attention the more confused I get, and then of course it gets worse not better.

I like that next season is just going to be a kind of reboot. I might give it a go but right now I'm not sure. I like the main characters and the wildness of it all but it might just be a little too out there for me!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
It sounds like this season was basically the set up, the "prequel" (but since it was the first season, I guess it was just "the beginning"! lol). We now know who these characters are and we understand their motives to a certain degree and we know exactly what their mission is....to go on a road trip to find god and ask him if he needs their help, and if he doesn't they're gonna "kick his ass".

We know that Jesse Custer possesses the power of genesis which was the result of the unsanctioned coupling between an angel and a demon. Sounds like a power that carries the strength of both the good and the bad, the dark and light. Rather fitting since Jesse is a conflicted human being who really wants to atone but is drawn to the dark side by hanging around people who are practically the personification of temptation!

I always keep in mind that his name, "Jesse Custer", is an anagram for "Secret Jesus".

We don't know exactly what the cowboy from 1881 who walked out of the exploded town of Annville and killed that female angel is up to. As he stepped on her dead hand, he said "Preacher" in a rather menacing way.

My first thought was that this 1881 cowboy was actually the missing god almighty! But then on Talking Preacher they did point out that "the cowboy" had been in hell all along...and his hell was the worst moments of his life being repeated over and over and over.

Of course, this series is way way way over the top. Who's to say in this world that god couldn't have been in hell? Maybe that's exactly where's he's been all this time. Things that make me go Hmmmm......

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Just wanted to add....the explosion of all that methane gas from the meat processing plant was so big it leveled the entire town...so maybe it was big enough to actually open a door to hell. Like maybe there was a portal in that town somewhere and the key to open it was a cow poop explosion.

Anything goes on Preacher.

And if the cowboy was able to escape hell, who else might be walking out of that pile of rubble that used to be Annville?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 2:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
OK, good to know I'm not alone about the cowboy, thanks!

Such a weird way to start off a series, but it's an interesting concept allowing you to get to know that characters before you get to the point of the series. I hope they get a Talking Preacher each episode next season, although as an overall theme it sounds like next season will be easier to follow.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I actually liked just having one Talking Preacher episode after the premiere and one after the finale.

It's different (for me) with Talking Dead because the producers and stars on TD are super tight-lipped about what's coming up, but Seth Rogan...not so much. He just gave away a little info but it was more than I wanted to know. (tattoos)

I do think going forward, it will be easier.

I'm sure we'll see more insane characters and incredible situations that defy logic, but for me, it all worked. I will give a lot of credit to the finale for wrapping up so much while at the same time wiping the slate clean of everything and everyone in Annville!

Ya just gotta love a show that will dare to kill most of the entire cast at the end of the first season!

rotflmao

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 9:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Im with Kitt. I dont think I will watch next season. I love Tulip. She steals every scene.

I find I force myself to watch hoping it will all make sense. I get most of it but decided I dont care enough to watch anymore.. I wish I could love it lilike Sanfran.

I did LOL when '""God' was getting found out and he yells 'Jesus!' hahaha

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: