TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 04, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Wayward Pines on FOX: Archive through January 04, 2016 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 10:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Quite a good ending! Crazy begats crazy!

Scout

01-19-2005

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Kitt - I didn't notice it said "series" finale. Good catch. It does seem like, though, they left it fairly wide open. They can easily go back and fill in what happened while Ben was asleep if they did want to continue the series.

I liked the ending pretty well, although just putting all the adults to sleep seemed strange. Who taught his girlfriend how to be a nurse, and who has been running all the stores and day to day operations? There didn't seem to be nearly enough kids to do that, unless they just thawed out a lot more kids.

Didn't really understand Nurse Ratchett's change of heart either. She delighted in torturing Ethan in the beginning and going to the reckonings.

What would the purpose of the hanging body with the warning at the end be? Now that everyone knows what's out there, why would anyone even consider leaving?

I always thought the first group didn't commit suicide. That never did make any sense. But they left it vague. Were those flashbacks just something that David Pilcher wanted us to believe and they did kill themselves - maybe like Sanfranjoshfan said - because they knew the Abbies would kill them anyway, or were the flashbacks just a total lie?

It does leave a lot of questions, but I enjoyed the series overall. I thought it was a lot better than most of the summer shows.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It said series finale last week, and this week they said season finale! I just read the ratings were up so maybe it will be renewed.

Yes, there didn't seem any reason to put the adults to sleep. If anything there is a reason to keep them awake to fix the town and run things, and extend the life of the young people for the future. I know for some reason the show was filmed a long time ago (2013 maybe?) so there's little chance of the main cast returning, perhaps that little bit at the end was added recently, with the flimsy excuse about the adults added in, to give some sort of continuity into season two if it does happen.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 12:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I liked the ending right up until when Ben woke up. Didn't really care for that conclusion.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 3:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
I agree, everything after Ben woke up was weak and a total let down. It was like they suddenly thought, oops, we have to end it now, no lead up to anything at the end.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 4:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, it was just a bizarre twist, where everything was going to be okay, (minus Ethan who blew himself up), and then WHAM, no transition, the First Generation has taken over and it all sucks again.

It was just weak.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I haven't watched the series and I've been cautiously glancing at this thread but I've now read all three books. I'm going to watch it now (I have it recorded). I'm curious about the differences from the books. The books were a fun read. Quite thought provoking in some respects and a bit illogical and a stretch in others but still enjoyable. I liked the way the books ended. It was an interesting twist and a neat way out.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I wondered if the final scene was something they added in case they want to do another season.

It wass a good finale, great action. I just wish they didnt take so long to tell the story

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 2:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I agree with you, Jimmer, about the books being a fun read. This series strayed quite a bit from the books. Especially with the ending. I'm with Karuuna. It was pretty weak. I prefer the book's ending and wish they'd gone in that direction.

My recording was labeled "series finale." The end.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 11:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I actually liked the ending. I thought it was more realistic than much of the "logic" in how they got there in the first place. I get tired of so many interesting stories presented on TV that end all wrapped up with a neat little bow.

This finale made a good statement on how history repeats itself. They didn't learn by their mistakes....just like in the real world.

I don't think it will return, but IF it came back for a second season, I'd like to see Ben find a way to thaw out the adults and retake the town, where they could just learn to adapt to the new world rather than live in denial in their "perfect" little town.

------

Actually, when I saw them putting Pam back in the freezer, I had a daydream of her waking up a couple of thousand years later.... after the abbies had evolved and learned to adapt themselves to technology left by the humans. We'd see a close-up of her opening her eyes and then the camera would zoom out and we'd see abbies wearing clothing and talking as they awakened her. They appear civilized but still had those big scary teeth and she realizes that they were thawing her out for dinner....a post apocalyptical frozen TV dinner!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Now that would have been a good final scene!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
LOL Sanfran!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Since this was the series finale, is it a spoiler to tell how the books ended? Just for comparison, of course. I will put it in a spoiler box in case anyone is still reading the books (which I highly recommend).

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
In the books, Ethan and the rest of them were able to reclaim the mountain bunker and get the fence turned back on. They sent David Pilcher out to the other side of the fence to let the abbies eat him, as punishment for killing all his people. Pam was not his sister. She stayed evile till the end and was killed by the abbies. The people ended up deciding they were running out of resources and the climate was getting colder, so they decided to go back into the cryo chambers. At the very end of the book, Ethan wakes up 23,000 years later. The end. I wish they'd go into what the world was like that far into the future, but I've heard the author is not interested in writing a sequel. I loved the book ending much better than the TV show.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 6:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Thanks for posting that. I was curious.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, August 21, 2015 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Just finished watching the series. It was disappointing, predictable and ridiculous as I thought it would be.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, August 21, 2015 - 1:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Time well spent then?

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, August 21, 2015 - 4:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
LOL!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, August 21, 2015 - 5:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Funny

Vickie

07-16-2004

Friday, January 01, 2016 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
Under returns and cancels they state this show has been picked up for a second season. I thought I should bring this back up towards the top for people to talk about this show.

I am glad this show has been picked up for a second season and is to start where they left off.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, January 01, 2016 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I wasn't happy with the way they ended the last season, but it should be interesting to see where this goes. Hubby and I both read the books, and he was pissed that the ending was so different than the books. Not sure I can get him to watch this with me.

Vickie

07-16-2004

Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 7:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
I didn't read the books so I don't have any knowledge of how it went in the books. I hope they do a second season similar to how Broadchurch did theirs so well. It is a touchy thing taking a one season show and turning it into seasons. Under the Dome did fail badly.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I lost interest in Under the Dome when they had cars driving around town and wind blowing (how does the wind blow when they're under a dome?!). Also read that book, so the show annoyed me. It should have been a mini-series.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"It should have been a mini-series."

It actually was a miniseries. It was originally intended to run for just 10 episodes and then end. Unfortunately, it became more popular than expected and they got greedy and extended it to make more money, but they wound up turning the story into a confusing mess and ruined it.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, January 04, 2016 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
SFJF, I was thinking more along the lines of the way they used to do mini-series, only 2-5 episodes. I would think of 10 episodes as more of a "limited series" than a mini-series. But then, tomay-to tomah-to.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, January 04, 2016 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Yeah, the term "miniseries" seems to be changing. I think American Horror Story entered the emmys as a "series" one year and then as a "miniseries" the following year (or was it the other way around?).....all because the word "miniseries" was not specifically defined and AHS has a different story every season so they could switch categories. Is it a "series" or is it an "annual miniseries"?

When Under the Dome was first promoted, they called it either a "miniseries" or a "limited series" or maybe it was something like a "summer event". Whatever they called it, it was intended to be a one time show, but since it was very popular, they added two more very confusing seasons to it, totally ruining what could have been an exciting and fun story that lasted just 10 episodes.

Wayward Pines was promoted as a "10 episode event" and now that has now somehow been turned into a returning series. I get the impression that the studios think every good story can be stretched into years and years worth of good content, but that's just not the case....as evidenced by Under the Dome.

I don't think of Under the Dome as what it was intended to be - a fun summer show. I think of it as a verb to describe running a show into the ground...such as: I hope Wayward Pines doesn't get "under-the-domed".