TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 23, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: Archive through February 23, 2016 users admin

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Monday, February 15, 2016 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Awwww ((((Jaxmom)))), so sorry to hear about your Mom. I can totally understand as my Dad is deteriorating physically and is just a shell of his former self.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, February 15, 2016 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
((((BJM)))) tough times for you for sure.

Csnog

07-18-2002

Monday, February 15, 2016 - 10:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
I had the voice of a woman that was telling/narrating the episode as it went along.
Didn't do anything to my TV except maybe watch on a different channel. It was odd.

Oh BJM...It's sooooo difficult to watch once strong parents lose their ability to understand, and you can only standby. Remember to take care of yourself so you can help her.
Take care.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 11:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Thanks for all the support. I only see her one day a week when I take her to lunch, unless she needs to go to the doctor or something. It was a lot harder when she lived with us. Like having a toddler in the house who you had to keep an eye on all the time, only they didn't think they were a toddler. We had to keep the stove locked. It's tough, but she's in a very nice place and is generally happy.

Csnog

07-18-2002

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 6:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
I came across another one just now, NCIS on 1014 Comcast and it's narrated. I heard them say its SAP and to go to another station if I want it off.
I was close to 999 which is a Canadian station so skipped over to 1014 instead of 233 for CBS.
It's just odd.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 10:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
WOW! What an episode. Mary was quite cruel to Edith. Poor lonely Thomas. Well done Mr. Mosley and hopefully Mr. Spratt, lol. Mrs Padmore and her house of ill repute. Marys face when Edith's beau inherited a fancy title. So very sad this is almost over. Love me some Downtown Abbey.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
A truly delicious ep. Lots of lol moments and even more floods of tears. I cannot believe this all wraps up next week. I am going to be in severe DA withdawal.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Oh Barrows.... I just wanted to hug him when he was sitting in his bed talking to Mary.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Mame, the final episode (as announced last night during the "Next time on Downton Abbey" preview) is scheduled for March 6. This was probably done to avoid competing against the Academy Awards telecast on Feb. 28.

If Edith doesn't somehow end up as Bertie's bride in the finale, I think there are going to be a LOT of very disappointed/unhappy/angry viewers (and I will be one of them!).

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Next week is "The Manners of Downton Abbey".

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the heads-up UncleRicky and Merrysea! I was po'd when I thought it was on opposite the Oscars. :-)

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I never expected to see Spratt! That was bananas!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 3:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Kookliebird, LOL! It really was!!!

For those of us who depend on our DVRs to pick up this show for us, I discovered that next week's "Manners of Downton Abbey" needs to be manually set to record. Don't want to miss a minute of this show.

That was truly awful of Lady Mary to out Edith like that, but Edith should have been honest with her suitor. You just can't keep a secret like that for long, especially when so many people know. It would have been so much better if he'd heard it from her. So sad. I hope they can end things on a happy note for the finale.

Glad to see Mary finally come down off her high horse and marry Henry. He is perfect for her. And poor Barrow!!! I suspected he was headed that way. Mr. Carson really is cruel to him. How Mrs. Hughes puts up with him is beyond me. Curmudgeon, indeed!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 5:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Mr. Carson is such a snob. He doesn't encourage anyone!

The house of ill repute...pretty funny! Of course Mr. Carson was non-supportive.

Mary just couldn't be happy for Edith, not even for a minute. I really do hope for a happy ending. I really don't care what happens with Mary. I was happy that Tom called her out.

Poor Barrow.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I always think that Carson overcompensates in the snobbery dept., because a he was a circus performer before he went into 'service'. Does anyone else remember this backstory of his... when his former circus partner came to visit him? Anyhow, it makes sense to me, that Carson is playing the role of a lifetime as Butler and head of the Staff, having elevated himself from such wild and crazy beginnings. And his genuine doting and devotion to the family and especially to Mary seems part and parcel of the same thing, entrenching him even more into this lifestyle which is the furthest thing from his performing days with the circus.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 10:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Ack!!! I forgot to watch it online tonight! I usually watch it the day after online. Will catch it tomorrow.

And then I will have to remember to watch the finale later in March. We are leaving for China March 1, and I suspect I will not be watching much television while there for 12 days.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 10:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I feel badly for Edith but it's partly her own fault for not telling him right when he proposed! If she had any inkling of saying yes she should have told him right away. Ugh. Of course Mary is going to jump at the opportunity to bury Edith if she can. Mary, Mary, Mary!

Barrow's story is heartbreaking. Am so glad they are keeping him on.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 5:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Remind me who Spratt was.....

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 6:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Carson is a traditionalist. He started at Downton as a footman and worked his way up. Certainly his character is exaggerated a bit in the context of the show and story line. Carson's family was the family he worked for basically his whole life or at least the majority of it. He represents the old days where an employee, in this case a servant, gave their all for their employers and in turn the employer in essence took care of their employees.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 6:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Sprat was Violet's butler. I do remember him writing and that awful ladies' maid making digs at him about it. But who knew he was writing a lovelorn column. Pretty funny.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 7:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Oh, and my heart is starting to ache at anticipating the end of the show. What will happen to all the characters in the future? Woe is me, we'll never know. I guess we are all free in our imaginations to dwell on how their lives played out.

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 7:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
My wife and I are also sad about the end of the series. We don't know when but sometime in the near future we've decided to have a Downton marathon where we go back to the very first show and work our way through to the end. We own the whole series from show one to this season......yes we've seen the last show but my lips are zipped.....so it'll just be a matter of feeding the Blu-Ray player.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 9:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Great idea Mack......I am going to go into DA with drawl even though "House of Cards" will have already started, there just is no replacement for this show.
Thanks Ophiliasgrandma for making me know who Spratt was,for a second I was like...."who is Violet" DUH.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 9:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
There's an excellent possibility of a film continuing the storyline.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/downton-abbey-producers-definitely-discussing-movie-options-it-s-certainly-something-there-is-talk-a6795381.html

I didn't notice any spoilers in that article, but I make no guarantees as I might have overlooked something.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I'll read your offering next Monday, Mame.