TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 09, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: Archive through February 09, 2016 users admin

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, February 01, 2016 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
The moment when Thomas offered to teach Andrew how to read was not only indescribably sweet and touching, it was also my single-favorite scene of the whole series! I can't imagine a life without reading books - that simple gesture to help transform Andrew's life was staggering. I get verklempt just thinking about it.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, February 01, 2016 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Uncle_ricky - I agree, that was a nice moment.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Monday, February 01, 2016 - 12:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
Oh, Lord Grantham, you had fun with that scene, I'm sure.

Carson is lucky he was allowed to continue eating then asking Mrs. Patmore to teach her a thing or two. Oh my!

Thomas does have a sweet side, I didn't get the impression that he was looking for anything in return.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, February 01, 2016 - 3:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I think Thomas just wants some friendship. I loved that he offered to teach Andy to read and that Andy received it as the gesture of kindness it was.

Katykat74, I totally jumped and cried out in horror. That was awful. I knew something bad was coming. I had to Google "gastrectomy" (along with "Bubble and Squeek" and "Tangiers"). It's the partial or complete removal of the stomach. I hope they didn't have to take his whole stomach. That was pretty horrific.

Apparently Lady Mary has figured out that Marigold is not who she was presented to be. About time!

I love this show so much! At the end of every episode I'm torn between dying to see the next episode and not wanting it to end!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, February 01, 2016 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I agree with everything you said!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, February 01, 2016 - 9:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I wonder if it is leading up to Carson learning to cook at home? That would be nice.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 5:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
In addition to Carson griping about the food, I did not like that Mrs. Hughes "served" him his dinner which he in turn criticized.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 7:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I rather enjoyed the children in that episode. We don't see enough of them. The little actors did a great job for as young as they are.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 7:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Carson is more of a snob than anyone upstairs could possibly be (except maybe Mary). I'm wondering if he married Mrs. Hughes the maid or Mrs. Hughes the woman. I'm now leaning to the former as opposed to the latter. He better change his tune or that's going to be one unhappy marriage.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Oh, I have no doubt Mrs. Carson/Hughes will straighten him out soon. I think he's like a lot of men who marry late in life. He has no clue what marriage is about. He'd better change his tune pretty quick or he'll be single again.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, February 08, 2016 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Poor Thomas! Mr. Carson is being a putz all the way around.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, February 08, 2016 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I hope that something nice happens for him. Maybe a job where he's actually appreciated (as long as he doesn't get all paranoid & nasty again.)

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, February 08, 2016 - 4:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I just hated seeing Thomas crying. Poor lad!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, February 08, 2016 - 4:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Perhaps Edith will move to London and have need of a butler. She would certainly appreciate how sweet he is with the kiddles.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, February 08, 2016 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I can't wait for Mrs. Patmore to punch Daisy's lights out! (Or something similar.)

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, February 08, 2016 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Lol Ricky!!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, February 08, 2016 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Ditto!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, February 08, 2016 - 9:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Mr. Carson is the biggest snob of the bunch! His wife needs to put him in his place. :-) And yes, agree about Daisy. She is so bratty!

I was hoping Mr. Mosley would get a job teaching and then Mary would push for Thomas to stay on because of how great he is with the children.

Am so sad that we only have 3 more episodes with this delightful cast of characters.

Csnog

07-18-2002

Monday, February 08, 2016 - 10:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
I think Daisy feels threatened.
If Mrs. Pratmore (was she married before?) and Mr. Mason become close, or even marry, Daisy no longer has space between being the cooks helper, and her relationship as a daughter with Mr. Mason...She feels she will lose that distinction if Mrs. Pratmore becomes close to Mr. Mason.

We now see the men that both Mary and Edith will marry.

It's nice to see Mosley get a chance in a field he loves.

I do hope we get to see Mr. Carson get put IN his place. He is a snob but his entire life has been a snob.

We don't have an inkling about Tom, his career or love life, except that he's settled into being the brother Mary needed all along with his advice.

The Dowager got taken down a few notches as the era grows towards the future.

Thomas is miserable, because he now realizes he will never be trusted. This plan should have included Mosley and would have shown kindness with both helping out.

Tom making the point that the house should be shown in the future was a nod to what they now have to do to keep up cost of the great estates.

It was a delightful episode for the most part as Anna and Bates will get their baby in the end.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 1:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Daisy is jealous of Mrs. Patmore and doesn't want to share "her" Mr. Mason. She is being a selfish brat.

I felt so sorry for Thomas. Not only does he get no respect from anyone (though to be fair, his behavior and scheming against everyone in the past has kind of brought it on himself), but it seems like they're trying to shove him out of the only home he's had for at least 10 or 15 years. Thomas has been at Downton since before the war. You'd think loyalty would mean something. I'm hoping Andy will step up and defend Thomas and admit that Thomas was only teaching him to read.

Mrs. Patmore has never been married. She admitted as much to Mrs. Hughes. It was customary to refer to the senior staff (head cook, housekeeper) as "Mrs." as a sign of respect. The lower workers went by first names (Daisy, William, Andy), and the middle level staff (lady's maids, under butlers) went by last names only, as in the case of "Barrow," "O'Brien" and "Baxter." I'm not sure how Mr. Molesley gets a "Mr." since I think he's only a footman, but who knows?

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 7:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
If Mosley goes maybe that will save Thomas from having to leave.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Mrs. Patmore was never married. I think it's a European thing to call "mature" single women, Mrs. I know I've never been married, but my European colleagues have always addressed me as Mrs.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Also, they knew Mr. Molesley as a butler for another before he came to Downton. But, what IS his first name???

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Kooklie, IMDb lists his first name as Joseph.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 11:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I remember when Mrs. Hughes was going to get married that Mrs. Patmore told her something like 'she'd never experienced the mysteries of marriage and probably never would'.