TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 14, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: Archive through January 14, 2016 users admin

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 7:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I still think that was a horrible thing for Edith to do to her sister. So they snipe at each other, but to rat her out to a government official for something that wasn't even her fault, that was pretty bad.

(Thanks for the reminders on the details, Naja. It was a long time ago and I was shady on the specifics!)

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 9:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Oh Mary does more than snipe at Edith. Remember the day Strallan was going to propose to Edith, and Mary pretended to Strallan that she didn't know he was going to propose. So Mary told Strallan how some sad sap was going to propose to Edith, and how they laughed and laughed, and Edith was trying to figure out a way to let him down. So poor Strallan left heartbroken without ever proposing.

Even though years later after he learned the truth and they tried again, it never worked out. Mary completely ruined her sister's happiness.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Friday, January 08, 2016 - 5:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
I have to laugh as sometimes we act as if this is "real life" .

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, January 08, 2016 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I have never seen the actress that plays Daisy in anything else until today. She plays one of the evil stepsisters in the latest version of Cinderella. It's so hard to think of Daisy is being evil.

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 7:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
Naja, in the bizarre but oddly compelling half-hour musical-comedy "Galavant" (on ABC), the actress who plays Daisy on DA plays the castle cook's sweetheart. Due to the nature of the show she has to sing, dance, and play very broad comedy, and she does a very good job at all three.

Cricket

08-05-2002

Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cricket a private message Print Post    
Daydreamer, you could see "Daisy" bursting out of her character in the last season (6) of Downton Abbey.

For those who are just starting S06, it's very enjoyable. One of the best seasons yet. Sad to see this series end.

I can't say anything about the sisters without spoiling, but I will say the writing is very good when it comes to them.

I do agree that Mary was the meaner of the two throughout the series.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Monday, January 11, 2016 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Maggie Smith is a marvel!

She's been friends with Judi Dench for over 60 years, so I'm surprised she hasn't asked her to do a cameo on the show.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/great-dames-judi-dench-maggie-4759348

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Did anyone else feel like last night was a sort of "wasted" episode? I know this is the last season. I know each moment counts as it winds down to the end and I want every episode to be filled with wonderful things....this one was kind of blah.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I hate to say it, but I agree with Misspoufy -- there was very little "meat," mostly scraps. The "kidnapping' of little Marigold felt very contrived. I imagined Julian Fellows asking himself, "how do I fill an hour's worth of material for this episode?" I found myself not caring about Edith's battle with the magazine editor when we can't even see him - such a dud storyline. I hope the remaining episodes are a tiny bit juicier!

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I think so, too. You knew exactly what would happen with Mrs. Drew and Marigold, and you knew that the Drews would have to leave.

I hate to criticize this show because it's been one of my very favorites, but the characters seem so much less likable this year.
I've always had a soft spot for Edith but the fact that she couldn't think of an excuse for Marigold not to go with Mary was just cruel.
Same with the parents. Surely they could say she had a sniffle or something and couldn't go.
They have been bemoaning the fact that their way of life might come to an end but think nothing of making another family have to pick up and move on. The expression on Mr. Drew's face broke my heart.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, January 11, 2016 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Ha! As I was watching last night I was doing other things around the house, which tells me I'm losing interest. And I remember at one point thinking to myself "Julian has run out of ideas, it's getting boring." I guess it's run its course.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, January 11, 2016 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I"m feeling kind of lonely out here on this branch of enjoyment all by myself. I would watch that lovely, talented cast read the phone directory if it came down to it.

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Monday, January 11, 2016 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
To me it seemed as if the whole episode was setting up for the rest of the season. We saw a few conclusions, but now we have to see what happens with Edith at the magazine, Mary as a working woman, the newlyweds hashing things out, Anna getting pregnant, etc. It was actually the intro to the new season, rather than last week which was really the conclusion of last season.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, January 11, 2016 - 5:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I"m feeling kind of lonely out here on this branch of enjoyment all by myself. I would watch that lovely, talented cast read the phone directory if it came down to it.

I agree with you, OG! I thought this episode was entirely entertaining and surprised to hear that others thought it wasn't! A lot of plot points were moved along: progress is being made towards Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes's wedding. Lady Mary very generously helped Anna find out why she's having trouble staying pregnant, and I hope to see her realize her dream by the end of the season. We all knew the Drewes had to go. That was just cruel to take Marigold to visit the pigs and allow Mrs. Drewe to see her. Can't they understand that she raised that baby as her own for the first couple years of her life and it would be heartbreaking to let her go? Edith really needs to come clean with Lady Mary. I think she would understand.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 11, 2016 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Loved yesterday's ep! I was hoping Edith would fire her editor for insubordination. Anyhow, the season is still young and I am happy just seeing whatever my Downtown 'friends' get up to. LOL. I especially love the caring and loyal side of Mary when she is with Anna.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Monday, January 11, 2016 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Please don't misunderstand me. I adore the characters, I love the show and I HATE that it's ending! I know all good things come to an end and all, but it's been a good friend and a cozy, comfortable place to visit each Sunday evening and I hate to see it go so much that I want every single moment that's left to be filled with joy and excitement. This whole hospital squabble is blah (2 whole episodes of bickering???) What happened to the Drew's was sad but was also such an obvious set up for Daisy' father in law to take over, Edith needs to get over herself and tell Mary the truth and she also needs to hie herself to London, live there and run her magazine and fire that awful editor...stop being a doormat, Edith!

I think the problem is Julian tried to tie up too many loose ends in a sloppy fashion and he's already moved on mentally to his next venture.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Glad you love the show too, and I agree that the argument with the editor was certainly odd the way they filmed it.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 4:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Naja, Sophie McShera who plays Daisy is currently in ABC's Galavant. She was in two episodes last year and has been on the first four (two week's worth) episodes this season. She has good comic timing and she sings well too.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 9:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Oh, I so agree with everyone thinking Edith should've fired that editor. So disrespectful to speak to your boss that way! I think she may have been afraid she wouldn't be able to hire another one. She's new at this business, but I also agree I'd like her to stop being a doormat!

I think the hospital bickering is meant to show that the times are changing, and the Dowager isn't having it. The whole theme of this season is supposed to be that the world they all lived in began to change during WW1, and the way the Crawley family has lived for generations is quickly disappearing. I felt so bad for Thomas worrying about what he's going to do if the Crawleys let him go, and Mr. Carson is being a complete ass to him. Thomas has had his issues in the past, but I feel so sorry for him being such an outsider. Lady Cora's maid (sorry, can't remember her name) is trying to be a friend to him, even though he was so mean to her in the past, but he's not used to people befriending him. He's a sad, lonely man.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 9:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I wonder what his motive is for trying to get close to the new lad in the kitchen?

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
OG, I'm thinking Thomas wants a relationship with him, and that makes him uneasy so he is avoiding Thomas as much as possible.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
It would be interesting if it turns out that the other young man is so deep in the closet as a gay man himself, and for that reason he's terrified of being friends with Thomas. And if that was the case, wouldn't it be lovely if by the end of the season, they become a couple or at least friends.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I feel that Thomas just wants to have a friend, someone who accepts him as an equal, but he seems to think that the new boy has been warned away from Thomas. I think Thomas is feeling isolated and lonely. Another reason why I feel sorry for him.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Even though Thomas has been a jerk in the past,it is very stressful worrying about being employed. His particular position is going the way of the wind.

It's a shame Edith feels she can't tell Mary the truth about Marigold.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Hiya Reenie, I look at it this way: It's a shame that Mary is such a relentless b*tch to her that Edith feels forced to shield the truth about herself and her child.