TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 06, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Leftovers on HBO: Archive through December 06, 2015 users admin

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I agree about the music, SFJosh. It doesn't happen often and I think the first time I was truly effected by a soundtrack was for Titanic. To this day, James Horner's soundtrack takes me back to the sadness and immensity of it all.

As for the Leftovers, the minute that father realizes it's Kevin's handprint, I predict all heck will break lose.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
But after Sunday night's relatively shocking developments, will the father (John) be able to track Kevin down given Kevin's seemingly altered life state? What a juicy episode that was!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 1:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
"given Kevin's seemingly altered life state"

that is a unique way to phrase it! I was about three episodes behind, and when I started hearing something major had happened I rushed to catch up... Hmmm unless the son is about to fix him somehow - which it seemed like the grandfather made impossible by getting rid of the epenephrin(sp?) - how can it end well? He seems very dead and he's away from everyone else, I can't imagine the son would get to a hospital in time.

I noticed that song, or a similar one, in this latest episode, it seemed familiar but I wondered where it was from, and of course it came from this series, but season one.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 11:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Oh.My.Goodness. No matter how many episodes of this show ultimately air, the scene in tonight's episode -- when the senator's bodyguard is frisking Kevin (Justin Theroux) for weapons and as his hands reach his upper thigh, he pauses, looks up at Kevin and says "congratulations" -- will forever be talked about. I nearly fell off my chair when he said it -- absolutely hilarious.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, November 23, 2015 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
That was funny Uncle R!!!!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, November 23, 2015 - 9:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Well what on earth (or elsewhere) was going on in this week's show?!?!

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 7:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
The soundtrack for this episode was perfect. What a mind trip. Still not sure what the heck was going on.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Spoiler ahead if I figured it out right . .

He had to die to battle Patty in order to stop seeing her. He did indeed die but death was . . . . a "TRIP" as Terolyn said. He figured out Patty was hiding in the guise of a child. Neil, her ex husband, was the drunk with the little girl. By seeing them together, Kevin did learn what her life had been like and so was sorry for her. He followed what his father said and took her to the well where he had to make sure she was dead in order to "go back" to real life (be made alive again).

And indeed, he did go back. At the end, he's digging himself out of the ground where the man's grandson had buried him. That's why the grandson was so shocked to see him. He thought he had covered his grandfather's tracks by burying him.

If I got it right, do I get a prize?

And was that or was it not the music that played during the opera in the 3rd Godfather movie?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 12:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think you got it right, it's just.... didn't you think it was a little strange ?

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 12:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Yes ~ STRANGE, LOL!

Fifteen minutes in, I was irritated and ready to just turn it off but I'm glad I stuck with it.

I just went over to another board and they are analyzing every part of it. I hadn't made the connection of the bird in the lobby to the ones Evie would bury nor did I notice a guy in a police uniform with a black hood over his head.

I don't know what it is about this show. I both hate it and like it. I feel like I need therapy after each episode.

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 7:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
The music was Va, Pensiero or the Hebrew Slave Chorus by Verdi. The Opera was Nabucco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F4G5H_TTvU

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 7:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
The music was Va, Pensiero or the Hebrew Slave Chorus by Verdi. The Opera was Nabucco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F4G5H_TTvU

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I missed the bird reference. What did the hooded guy link to?

Strangely, although I know the main event where so many people left means the show is scifi (or whatever the term would be) I had still somehow in my mind put it in reality. Sure odd things were happening (like the water going just as Kevin tried to kill himself in the pond) but I was trying to fit that into 'the real world.'

So this has thrown it for a six for me. Not sure if it was hell, heaven, a way station, the effect of one of those tropical drugs that paralyse you for six hours or what. If I believe it's the latter, perhaps I can slot it into what I thought the show was before this week.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
the term would be fantasy, Sci fi I reserve for shows with a technical basis and can be in the future or the past. I have had a long standing issue with people mistaking fantasy for Sci fi. Happens all the time.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Fantasy I think of as more hobbits and vampires. I don't think this is fantasy either, although I agree it's not scifi.

Perhaps "crazy" is the correct word after all ;).

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
In wiki, it's listed as 'Dystopian,' but of course you can have dystopian sc-fi, dystopian fantasy... Perhaps this is just dystopian drama.

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
Science fiction explores what is possible, even if it’s improbable while fantasy explores the impossible. However...what I may deem probable might seem impossible to someone else so my sci-fi could be someone else's fantasy....

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, that's the problem. Who's to say whether it's possible or not that one day 150 million people would just disappear!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 12:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I wouldn't call Leftovers "science fiction" or "fantasy". Some might call it "religious" in nature, but I view it as an excellent drama set within a "supernatural" premise. ("Supernatural" is also how I view miraculous religious stories, so that genre fits perfectly in my book.)

It did seem to me that Kevin actually died and actually went to another place, and it doesn't really matter if it's called heaven, hell, or purgatory. Seeing as how so many religions perceive dying in different ways and so many religious texts have been translated and retranslated and reinterpreted so many times over the centuries, maybe this was just the writer's own interpretation of how he sees the afterlife.

In any case, I think Kevin died and went to a purgatory type place where he could resolve some issues. He saw others who had already died when he got there...the Guilty Remnant woman who was stoned to death last season, Patty, and Holy Michael, and the old man who gave Kevin the poison. Mary Jamison (the preacher's paralyzed wife) was there, too....that guy delivered a balloon bouquet to her. In the real world she's not technically "dead", but she's not really in her body either.

When Kevin fell in the well and then we saw him coming up out of the dirt, I just knew it was a repeat of Regina King's bury-the-bird-and-it-comes-back-alive trick. I assume that after dragging Kevin's body out of the trailer, her son buried dead Garvey in the woods like his mom did with the bird.

I looked up the significance of birds in religion and found this: "Bird Symbol in Christianity: Christians believe that birds or winged creatures represent the souls in paradise". (LINK)

I think this episode was the first time we see for sure that this story really is built around a religious event like the rapture, or at least one version of it....unless it's all in Kevin's head.:-)

Only two eps to go this season! Noooooooooo!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 2:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, supernatural works.

I didn't notice Mary Jamison! That is sad as I was hoping she would come back (I love the actress from The West Wing)... not that her being there means she won't come back.

Only two eps to go but also they are saying it has had terrible ratings and might not be renewed. I hope the season finale has some kind of ending just in case.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 11:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Only two eps to go but also they are saying it has had terrible ratings and might not be renewed."

I read something about that, too. I wish I didn't know it...now when I watch the last 2 eps it'll be like visiting a friend who I know is dying of cancer, but he doesn't.

Kitt, they never showed Mary's face. If the balloon guy hadn't said the delivery was for Mary Jamison, I don't think anyone could have recognized her by just seeing the back of her her at the end of the hall.

Spangs

10-07-2005

Monday, November 30, 2015 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spangs a private message Print Post    
Amazing ending last night! Thank you Sanfran for leading me to this show.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, November 30, 2015 - 3:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I totally agree! The finale should be equally amazing. Liv Tyler mesmerized the hell out of me last night - the scene with the fortune-teller was wonderfully intense. And Betty Buckley was almost unrecognizable (but great!).

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 11:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
What kind of craziness was that?!?! I feel a bit sick after it!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 11:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Damon Lindeloff's thoughts on the finale:
https://tvline.com/2015/12/06/the-leftovers-season-3-spoilers-damon-lindelof-interview/