TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 17, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Leftovers on HBO: Archive through November 17, 2015 users admin

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 3:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
SFJ - oh boy, I totally missed all that about Tom!!! Thanks...

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Oops....I said:

"The ex husband is played by Scott William Winters, brother of actor Dead Winters. They even played brothers on the HBO series "Oz". "

He is the brother of actor DEAN Winters, not "Dead" Winters. LOL

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
lol, he looks a lot like Dean too. Good catch on the photo.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, September 07, 2014 - 10:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The cult people made me mad tonight! As if people have forgotten!! What a bunch of sickos, how could they do that?

I thought Nora was going to kill herself and was very glad she was just leaving. Hopefully the baby will draw her back. I'm guessing Kevin's wish was to have his family back, and he has it in a way.

Do we know why the Joseph Patterson character was sitting on a toilet in a burger joint, possibly with his guts hanging out, dying, and how the SWAT kind of team knew to find him there? I presume it was shown last week but I've forgotten.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, September 08, 2014 - 1:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Excellent finale! The only problem with it (and it's a glaring one) was that it was the season finale!

I was thinking that Kevin wished for his son, Tom, to come home because he's worried about him after all the unanswered phone calls and then getting a "this number has been disconnected" recording the last time he tried to call. I kept expecting a big father/son reunion....but it never happened. Of course, the baby was on Kevin's doorstep so we know that Tom is somewhere close by.

And that look of surprise and happiness that came over Wayne's face just as Kevin (apparently) made his wish made me think that Wayne actually was more than a fraud after all. He looked like he had just realized that Kevin was Tom's father which made all those events with Tom and the Christina and Wayne come full circle in the seconds before he died. And maybe his baby really is going to be the "bridge"...I just wonder what that "bridge" is meant to connect.

I had a sinking feeling during this episode that it could turn out that the GR's are the only ones who actually know something. I do hope that crazy dream Kevin had about Patty being alive, and slobbering all over him in the loony bin was just a weird dream and nothing prophetic. I'd hate it if it turned out the GR crazies are the only ones that truly understand what happened and that their mission had a legitimate purpose. I'd just feel better believing that they're just whackjobs rather than some sort of divine messengers or something.

It was great that Jill seems to have warmed back up to her father after being so distant and surly all season. And that look that Kevin gave Laurie when Kevin was hugging his daughter after he pulled her from the burning house! Jeez, if looks could kill, Laurie would be toast right now. There she was, still keeping a distance, still not talking when just a few feet away her family were reconnecting. And they were reconnecting because Laurie's actions had caused Jill to come to the GR in the first place, which almost got her killed! Still, Laurie kept herself apart from that touching moment and Kevin, I think, has now totally given up on her....and well he should, in my book.

I think I'm a little bit disappointed in the finale although at the start of the series I never really expected them to wrap this up or explain it at the end of the season, or even the end of the series for that matter. I think I was just left off kilter that the season ended right after the whole town went crazy. I would have liked a little bit more of a peaceful end to the season after ten episodes of tension building up.

As Kevin and Jill approached their home and saw Nora with the baby, there was a moment of happiness and love at the sight of this little newborn baby...but my blood was still pumping through my veins from the adrenaline that revved up during the mayhem in the street that I had just witnessed moments earlier! I think I needed a little bit of decompression but I was still on the edge of my seat when it faded to black and the credits rolled.

Hmmmm....now I wonder if Kevin had just wished for peace and clarity of mind...and gaining that, he could finally let go of the the idea of reconnecting with Laurie (who did not need nor want him in her life) and concentrate on his daughter who really needed him....and maybe a new baby and a new girlfriend named Nora.

Oh well...at least I have a great show to look forward to next year!

For me, this is an excellent series and it's as compelling as any show I have ever seen! These characters are great...interesting and multilayered and in every episode they reveal more about themselves that we didn't know before. Great writing and I really want to see an Emmy in Justin Theroux's hands next year!

One more little thing...I've been wondering if Laurie had an affair, too....and that maybe the baby that vanished from her belly wasn't even Kevin's....maybe it was Laurie's ex husband's!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, September 08, 2014 - 1:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Do we know why the Joseph Patterson character was sitting on a toilet in a burger joint, possibly with his guts hanging out, dying, and how the SWAT kind of team knew to find him there? I presume it was shown last week but I've forgotten."

Nope, last week was the flashback episode that showed the day of the departure.

I am assuming that Wayne had finally been spotted and just didn't get away fast enough this time. Remember, the night the SWAT guys showed up at the ranch, they were shooting before they even announced their presence. They weren't there to arrest Wayne, they were to execute him. I think in the finale, the SWAT guys had just finally found Wayne and started shooting again and we only got to see the end result of that. We've known all along that Wayne was on the run and that the government was after him.

I think there is more government involvement in all this than we know. Remember, the FBI told Kevin he could make the GR "go away", in a vague but menacing tone and then he promised to send back the body of Gladys who was stoned to death. But then we saw Gladys in what look like a government facility being cremated in a room with a lot more bodies ready for the pyre.

Maybe it was the Rapture after all and maybe the government is trying to control the consequences that came of it. They had two different cults in their sights and they were busy destroying the bodies of one cult while actively hunting down the other.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, September 08, 2014 - 11:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I like the idea that Wayne's smile was because he could grant Kevin's wish for family while finding a good home for his child. Yes, what is the bridge? I'm assuming/hoping the baby will grow in real time, not accelerated, so things like a bridge to the other world (if those taken have gone to another world) might be hard to express without speech.

I'd forgotten about the SWAT attack on the ranch at the beginning. I think last time we saw Wayne (when he hugged Nora) he said he was dying and he didn't have long, but I don't think he was injured at the time. Maybe he can see the future. It's good that he doesn't know if he's a fraud. I don't think he is. I'm sad he won't be in next season.

I go for the GRs just being nutjobs. Either so deluded they think they're doing good or so broken by what happened that they can't see how hurtful they are. I don't know that they can be the ones with some sort of special knowledge because apart from deciding to step out of life and be cruel to those who are trying to get on with life, what do they "know?"

I agree, it's been a compelling series. I don't think they did themselves any favours starting out in such a miserable and confusing way, they probably lost themselves some viewers who would have enjoyed the entirety of the season if they'd stuck around.

It'll be a good show to watch again before next season starts. It's going to be a long wait.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, September 08, 2014 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I couldn't believe how hateful the GR's were! It was such a cruel thing to do to others.

And while earlier I speculated that Wayne might be more evil then good, I think that smile was genuine when he realized what Kevin wished for. It made me hopeful for Wayne.

So Kevin gets the daughter and Laurie gets the son. Now I feel sorry for the son. Laurie and Meg are so unlikable.

I officially announce the preacher a crazy one as well but somehow understand his crazy, lol!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, September 08, 2014 - 3:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I just loved the whole show - story, cast, complexities, everything!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Some info about the new season, where there is a big change in venue and in cast. Some might think of it as spoilers, but I wouldn't (haven't watched the video though).

http://tvline.com/2015/06/12/the-leftovers-season-2-trailer-video-texas/

They say starting in the fall, not this summer. It's been a long wait.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Am I wrong in assuming that God above didn't consider anyone in this Texas town as worthy of being taken? (Oh, the irony) Not sure I would want to live among them so why would all of these people want to go to this God-forsaken (literally) place?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 5:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
New season starts October 4th! There are apparently season 2 plot details in the link, don't know how spoilery but I'm not going to risk it!

http://tvline.com/2015/07/30/the-leftovers-season-2-premiere-date-hbo/

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
I binge watched Season 1 and loved it!

Is HBO releasing the entire season or will it be a weekly thing?

I'm SO spoiled by Netflix and others that drop a whole season at once, that I'm too impatient to wait!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Am I wrong in assuming that God above didn't consider anyone in this Texas town as worthy of being taken?"

The preacher pointed out in season one that a lot of those who vanished in their town were not "worthy" either. There were drug addicts and thieves and wife beaters who were among the "departed". The preacher handed out flyers he made stating that it was not the rapture.

I think I read somewhere that in the book (that the series is based on) it definitely was the rapture...and that is what the opening credits imply. However, in the show, some of the characters assume it was the rapture but others disagree.

In any case, if it actually is the rapture on the show, there's a big unanswered question regarding why some good, decent people were left behind and some pretty bad people were chosen. The "departed" seem to be a fairly random selection.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 6:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Thank you, SFJosh!

Abby7

07-17-2002

Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
HBO is doing a marathon of season 1. We didn't watch last year. Dh and I watching pilot now. Guess tonight is premier season 2.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, October 05, 2015 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
The opening scene of last night's season premiere was so OUT THERE, but fascinating. I love that Regina King has joined the cast, fresh off her Emmy-award winning role on "American Crime" - this should be another intense and intriguing season!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 10:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
So just as you begin to like the new characters that are introduced . . . WTH?!

Unlikeable characters and strange twists that I suspect even the writers can't explain. I don't mind a few things not being answered but with this latest crop of writers on tv, it's a constant "WTH is going on"?

Yes, I can guess alot of sub-plots since I feel this season is taking bits of plots from various movies ~ Clan of the Cave Bear, The Village, to name a few.

Love the cast - hate the writing.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Friday, October 09, 2015 - 1:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Kappy I feel the same way. As I mentioned above dh and I watched for first time last weekend. Still have about 5? Episodes to watch from season 1. Will probably finish season 1 this weekend.

I "cheated" while dh was at work and watched the premiere. Couldn't help myself. Lol Was shocked re fire.

Eta we have enjoyed t so far

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Just watched the premiere... well that was all kinds of weird!! I don't know if the mega-flashback to the cave people was to show that the pond was subject to seismic activity (rock slide then, perhaps some sort of fissure now to swallow all that water) or just for fun. And was that a natural event back then or part of these weird disappearances?

Really intriguing premiere.

And it looks like the next episode (which I haven't seen yet) we start back at the end of last season to see how the main family got to Miracle.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Just watched the season opener. It was so odd, I thought I had the wrong show on! The opening sequence and music was completely different. Then I got into it. Now I'm on The next episode and happy to see familiar characters!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I am still a couple of episodes behind, just watched episode three, the one with the white people and creepy Liv Tyler. The show is just crazy weird but absolutely fascinating still. Although I still don't like Amy's character.

I presume Liv Tyler was trying to get pregnant. Or was it a "simple" rape, i.e. for power or intimidation? Very strange. All the white people are so violent one way or the other. Did they go to the cult like that or did the cut make them that way?

It looks like next week (last week for anyone who is up to date) is back to Justin Thereux (sp?) and the missing lake.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Oh, and the opening sequence being different, yes! Last season's one annoyed me because they looked like everyone was called to some kind of heaven, yet that wasn't the plot at all. This time it's more generic.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, November 16, 2015 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I'm still watching although I don't know why because I just crab about this show after, lol!

That said, I think this week's episode was the best yet. For the first time, I actually want to see what happens next.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
This season has been missing a main ingredient for me....that haunting piano theme music that played such a huge part in season one. It took a couple of episodes of wondering what it was I was missing but it finally dawned on me that it was this beautiful, but somewhat disturbing, theme music. It started up within minutes in the first episode of season one (when the woman discovered her baby missing from the backseat)....and it always built up as the story became more chaotic and "unreal" to these characters that were trying to understand events that could not be rationally explained.

I had been missing that layer of the theme music affecting my emotional reactions in season two, but then noticed it quietly in the background a couple of times in the last few episodes. The first time I heard it (quietly and done with a guitar rather than piano) I thought "now it feels like The Leftovers again".

That theme comes up when people were talking and trying to deal with some crisis. I'm thinking it will begin to come up more and more because in season one it was always there when people were in that weird place of trying to accept something unreal that they had just witnessed. And now in season two things are getting more and more strange and inexplicable, even though there has been nothing like the sudden vanishing of 140 million people.

I will forever think of the scene of the woman and her missing baby and then boy yelling for his missing father and then the car crash in the background...when I hear this music.

In case you don't remember it very well, here is some of The Leftovers theme from youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhI9eh4u6OE

----------

Oh yeah, I keep having this disturbing thought - What if if Nora's entire departed family suddenly returned? It would be devastating to Kevin and I really don't want anything like that to happen...but I keep expecting a looming and inexplicable event to happen without warning. This feeling started when I first noticed the theme music had quietly crept back into the show, even though it has been very minimal.

I'm not a "music person", so I always find myself surprised when I realize music is playing on my emotions in a major way, often even more than any kind of imagery or dialog I see or hear in a TV show or movie. For me, music is mostly a nostalgia thing, like when I hear Cream or Janice Joplin or Jethro Tull and suddenly think about the late 60s and early 70s.:-)