TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 05, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Mr Robot: Archive through August 05, 2015 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
In response to Sanfran's post in the Premieres thread, speculating that Mr Robot might have multiple personalities...

quote:

So far I had been thinking Elliot was delusional and that some (or many) of the other characters weren't really there, but just in his head. However, after this last episode, I started to wonder if he has multiple personality disorder. If that is the case, then the other characters are actually there...but they are also "just in his head"!

The way these characters interact with him is interesting and they sometimes (but not very often) interact with one another without Elliot. And when they are in a public place, the other people around them never seem to react to anything they say or do, even if Elliot and his pals become loud or cause a scene. That makes me think if Elliot was just delusional, he'd probably see reactions from people around him in such a situation. If they are just different personalities of Elliot's, the other people would not actually see or hear them...they would just see Elliot.

This sort of disjointed interaction reminds me of how multiple personality disorder is often displayed in movies I've seen. They all interact with Elliot either individually or collectively at various points, but they never (or rarely) interact with bystanders or extras in a scene.....and only sometimes with another character in the show without Elliot present. If this is multiple personality disorder, we wouldn't know how many other personalities there actually are. Maybe just a couple of them, maybe a lot of them!

I hadn't noticed people talking round him or not talking to each other, the only thing odd in that respect that I noticed was when the prisoners were escaping none of them came towards the guys hanging out by the car, and it was like none of them saw them. If some escapees were hardened criminals wouldn't they at least try to steal the car, or at least see how 'hard' the people at the car were and if they could be taken? That struck me as strange.

I'm going to be watching more carefully now. What you say kind of fits when I look back, but I didn't notice any of it at the time.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Also, Christian Slater is often just there, out of nowhere. I've noticed that as odd.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 11:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Kitt, early on, the cynical hacker girl seemed to speak directly to Mr Robot, but I noticed that he was standing between her and Elliot. She could have been speaking to either of them, but it seemed really convenient that Mr Robot stepped in front of Elliot just about one second before she opened her mouth and started talking.

I was also thinking maybe only the hackers were mps (short for multiple personalities) and the gang members were real people....but at the diner when they grabbed the girl (Shana?) and forcibly dragged her outside, only one lone guy at the counter waiting for his take-out glanced behind him but then he turned right back around and took his take-out. NO ONE ELSE in that diner seemed to even notice that a couple of scary looking guys just loudly stormed over and grabbed the girl, jostling the table and took her outside against her will. The one guy who did glance back could've been looking at anything and just happened to turn at that moment....but the people sitting and eating at nearby tables (I counted 11 diners plus the guy behind the counter!) never reacted to the commotion or turned to look at all. Not a single glance or flinch from any of them at the loud kidnapping happening 6 feet away!

That was the one scene I can think of that doesn't fit my mp theory...unless those bad guys were also mps, but that just makes no sense at all. This particular scene did make it seem like Elliot was just having delusions after all.

Oh yeah...I was thinking that one of the personalities killed Shana(?) and put her in the trunk for Elliot to find. That would mean that Elliot killed her when another personality took over. If that's the case, that scene was even more horrific and darker than it came across.

It's confusing but also very intriguing. I just know something bizarre is going on with these people, but they leave it just vague enough to not reveal too much and it keeps me guessing and then second-guessing my mp theory. I think that's one of the reasons I like this show so much. :-)

One more thing - I'm not sure how that smarmy jerk who works for Evil Corp fits in...unless he is actually the main character and Elliot and the other hackers are all his different personalities! LOL Fun idea but I sincerely doubt they'd go that "high concept"!

In any case, I refuse to be disappointed even if it all turns out to be something totally mundane like a dream or hallucinations. Watching something this original is still a great ride no matter where it takes me.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 11:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I just broke down and googled: "mr robot does elliot have multiple personalities?" (without the quotes) and found others asking the same question! I didn't follow any of the links of the results though.

At least I'm not alone in my theory!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 31, 2015 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I told hubby your theory and he mulled it over for a bit and then said Christian Slater does just appear out of nowhere! My thoughts entirely!

I think I need to watch another episode with that in mind, but one thing that strikes me is that if this is what the show's about, how long before they let the slow ones (me) in on the secret? Wouldn't they be a bit more in your face about it by now (episode 6 of 10) so that everyone at least has an inkling? Or did they think it was obvious by now, but isn't to many?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 31, 2015 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
What if only Christian Slater is imaginary/Elliot in his other personality?

I think the gang had to be real (otherwise nothing is), and they treated Darlene and Elliot as two separate people. If Darlene's real the rest of the hackers probably are, but Elliot could be their leader in his Mr Robot identity.

Another thing I remembered, one of the tv clips the hackers were doing had Mr Robot speak in the mask, then, in what seemed like a live show and on camera, he took his mask off, gave it to Elliot, and Elliot finished the broadcast. If it happened as I thought it did, both were revealed and the police would be after them, but if it didn't happen at all, and the changeover was metaphorical then the lack of police interest makes sense.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, July 31, 2015 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
i have really tried to watch this, but the cymbolism and the drug hazes and my limitied understanding of symbolism make it too hard, first this is a very grim show, on of the things I found unpleasant in any tim Burton film, the grimness. then there is the lack of reality, what is real what is false, is there really a company called Evil corp? or is that part of the drug haze, is he really a good hacker or is that a drug haze? the whole thing is so hard for me to comprehend, it is hard to sit and watch it with complete attention and without complete attention it really does spiral off to multiple sounds and an occasional scene, Was Darlene real or is she a symbol of his lost innocence, she was with him all the time after all.

I think I am going to have to drop out of watching that,
I will say there are deep discussions of what is real and what is not for pages on Previous TV. if you are looking for more theories.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, July 31, 2015 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"What if only Christian Slater is imaginary/Elliot in his other personality? "

That's what I thought for awhile.

Then, when I started noticing the other weird things that simply don't add up at all...like the rough kidnapping of a girl at the diner that no one else in the room noticed, I figured something more had to be going on. I guess it's possible the other diners just didn't want to get involved, but they absolutely would've, at the very least, glanced over at the commotion, right? In that scene even Elliot seemed surprised when no one noticed what had just happened at his table. The camera cut to Elliot's puzzled face after they dragged Shayla out and he was looking at the other diners and then it cut to the other diners as they were calmly eating and talking.

In the diner, the bad guys seemed to be invisible, but that bad guy in jail had to be real.

Darlene does seem to be more real to me than the other hackers...she was the one that I thought was addressing Elliot when it looked like she was talking to Mr Robot.

There are even moments when I think Elliot is in a hospital somewhere and the whole show is just his delusion.

It is an intriguing puzzle. I don't know why I keep trying to figure it all out right now when just watching it unfold is so entertaining. A lot of this only seemed notable in retrospect because it wasn't obvious at the time. Maybe every scene is foreshadowing hinting at something that won't be known until the series is over. :-)

Btw, I did notice at imdb.com that they already have a season 2 page set up.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 31, 2015 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I'm definitely going to be paying more attention next episode!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 31, 2015 - 9:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I watched the premiere episode again, with this scenario in mind. The only time Mr Robot was acknowledged by someone other than Elliot was when Elliot saw him on the other side of the street, hassling people eating for change. They seemed to mildly acknowledge him and shake their heads. However at this point Mr Robot didn't react with Elliot in any way, so it could be that Elliot saw a street beggar and just thought it was Mr Robot.

Other than that, Mr Robot was ignored by other people on a somewhat crowded train, the black guy in his group when he opened the door and by all of his group when he was inside the arcade. When Elliot goes back to the arcade and asks Darlene where her boss was, she says "cut the crap," as if she wonders why he said that. And then Christian Slater comes up behind them and she goes into the building without acknowledging him, although he was a distance away so that might not mean much.

One thing that didn't fit, although maybe it does, if different personalities have different histories, is that Mr Robot said his dad was a petty thief, went to prison and died there. Elliot's dad died of leukemia.

In the premiere Elliot talks with his psychologist a lot, and among the things they discuss (or Elliot monologues) are that he was "forced" to see her, she knows he has a lot to be angry about, and "when you hide your delusions come back, it's a slippery slope." She also asks if he's still seeing the men in black and he says the "meds" took them away.

Later he said he's crying because he's sad more and more now, every other week, and he takes the morphine to stop that. After the ferris wheel he asks himself if this is a delusion, or has he "really lost it this time."

So I think it is very, very possible Mr Robot - at least - is a figment. Episode 2 isn't On Demand right now (not sure why, all the other episodes were) plus I didn't like it, but I might watch that too, with the same ideas in mind. I'm tending towards the others existing though, although I'm a bit confused about the Men In Black, maybe some were just Elliot seeing things but those ones at the end who took him to Evil Corp happened not to be.

Also weird that every mention of E Corp now says Evil Corp, not just Elliot's comments about it, but print media as well!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 1:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Mr Robot said his dad was a petty thief, went to prison and died there. Elliot's dad died of leukemia."

Isn't it possible that he was a thief who died from leukemia in prison?

As far as different histories...all I know about multiple personalities is what I've learned from movies and a couple of TV documentaries (one was about the woman that the movie, "The Three Faces of Eve", was based on and I saw that many years ago).:-) That being said, it does seem like I've read, heard, or that some personalities are perceived to be friends, relatives, or total strangers by the "original" personality. They can even be of a different gender, age, height, temperament, or even a non-smoker when the main personality chain smokes. That seems to imply that their "back stories" could be very different, too.

Anyone here have a background that gives insight into this illness?

As for the name "Evil Corp", even the Evil Corp employees refer to their employer as "Evil Corp". Either that happens because this is all just the way Elliot sees things (delusions) or the writers are just taking poetic license to name the corporation that because that's how people think of it.

Kitt, do you have any ideas about that diner scene where the diners didn't see the Shayla being dragged out right in front of them? I can't see how it fits with the mp theory, but it does fit with the delusions theory.

Of course...if this is all just Elliot's delusions, it explains everything....why no one saw the kidnapping, why no one but Elliot can see Mr Robot...or sees Mr Robot interacting with others.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
We've just seen episode six, so I think that was in episode five (the diner scene). I'll grab it on demand and watch a bit later. That wasn't what I was thinking about when watching first time, so I'm not sure what to think.

Yes, Mr Robot's dad could have died of leukemia, they didn't say how. Perhaps that would have been too obvious, too much spoon feeding early on (although I would have appreciated it to get me thinking about this earlier!). But I don't think it's necessary for the Mr Robot to have the same history - although curious they addressed it so specifically - because for a start he's 15 (20?) years older than Elliot, if he is fabricated he has to have had a different background really.

The only thing I know about multiple personalities is from The United States of Tara, so probably not to be relied on(!), but I think her personalities did tell very different stories of their lives.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 8:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
On Demand episodes don't fast forward, so I'll have to wait until I get to that episode to comment, Sanfran.

Did just find Ep2 online, and that's the one where Darlene kind of talks to Mr Robot. The group are there, Elliot is facing Darlene, Darlene is facing Elliot, and Mr Robot steps right between them. One thing I noticed, Mr Robot steps uncomfortably close to Darlene (for normal conversation) and she doesn't step back at all. Everything she says her line of vision is to Elliot, not Mr Robot (even though Mr Robot is in the way) and while Mr Robot gives orders, it could either be interpreted that he didn't say anything (Darlene's responses are mostly exasperation, which is reasonable if Elliot had actually said nothing) or that in real life Elliot spoke Mr Robot's words.

Other bits in the show: he says he's using drugs more than ever, which might be why he's starting to dissociate again, and also he's not using that second drug, which is the one that treats withdrawal, so presumably that makes the effect of the morphine even stronger. And his psychiatrist notes his downfall over the last month or so, which again matches with the start of what could be his hallucinations/identity split.

Darlene at one point says Elliot was supposed to come last night, did he forget, and Elliot doesn't seem to know what she is talking about.

Before Darlene "talks" to Mr Robot, he's at a shooting game, loudly shoots the toy gun, and no one bats an eyelid except Elliot.

An observation by hubby... this is the episode where Mr Robot pushes Elliot off the railings onto the rocks, supposedly to punish him for not committing to them the night before. Before that happens he makes Elliot tell him about his relationship with his father and how he died, and Elliot says how he found out his dad had leukemia, and his dad begged him to not tell his mother. After a few months it's a lot worse so he breaks down and tells his mother, his dad is so angry he shoves him and he falls and breaks his arm. Mr Robot asks Elliot whether he thought he deserved it, because he didn't commit to the sacred pact he's made... My thought was that it was Elliot's inner fear/belief telling him it was his own fault, and therefore thinking he deserved to fall again, and acted on it, but hubby said that maybe Mr Robot is actually a manifestation/hallucination of his dad, who was also a programmer and could have been a hacker. Which is an interesting idea, although I don't know how you get around the fact that Elliot knows what his father looks like and presumably it's not Christian Slater.

So now I am absolutely convinced Mr Robot doesn't exist, which makes Elliot the leader or at least one of the leaders of FSociety. I think he's a dissociative identity (if that's the word) of Elliot's, but he could also be a hallucination. I think everyone else exists except perhaps the Men In Black (some of which Darlene didn't acknowledge in this episode), who might be a paranoid delusion.

At one point it seemed as if Shayla saw Darlene (when Elliot and Darlene were about to leave, and wanted Shayla to take the dog) but it could possibly be interpreted as her just talking to Elliot, I was so fixated on other things I didn't notice. I don't think anyone else acknowledged Darlene (other than the rest of the hackers) but it didn't feel unsettling, like it does with Mr Robot (which I felt was odd, even before I read the multiple personality theory). Right now I think the rest of the hacker team all exist.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I absolutely agree with you about Mr Robot...the only person he talks to is Elliot and no one ever seems to notice he's there. He's either a different personality or a full on delusion like Brad Pitt in "Fight Club".

I go back and forth about the other hackers. They seem to be real, but sometimes I get the feeling it's only because they're edited in such a way to appear real.

I'm still totally confused about the gang bangers...they seem to definitely be real individuals, but some people definitely appear unable see the two that weren't in jail.

But it did appear that Darlene could see them.

???

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Episode 3 confirmed that Shayla could see Darlene. She referred to her twice, although didn't talk directly to her.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
It's actually kind of funny that it takes three episodes of this series to confirm the existence of a character that we've been watching since Day 1.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think they are being deliberately enigmatic about it. A couple of times before she said it out loud Shayla could have seen Darlene but the scene would have also made sense if she couldn't. They are definitely trying to keep us guessing!

Must say, I am enjoying rewatching. There are a lot of things I missed or that didn't make sense at the time but do now.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
you two are really into this show, I am envious. I am starting to think my mind just does not work that way for television I get confused by the whole thing. The jail break scene was just confusing again about who was real and who was not. I can't even remember what really happened at stone mountain, was lunch real or another delusion?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
My issue is always names and faces. Half way into a season I'm probably okay, but in the early episodes I hear a name and I don't know who it was, see a guy and can't remember which part he was in before, etc. For instance I thought Vera was only a girl's name so was confused when Shayla and Elliot were talking about the drug dealer early on, but this time around I know who it is so it all makes sense.

One particularly good thing about this show is that the characters are visually very distinct, so it's a bit easier for me than some others (I gave up on Aquarius for instance, because all the males looked identical to me).

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 8:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Sadiesmom, you're right, I am really into it....but that doesn't mean I know whats going on! I'm probably reading a lot more into it than what's actually there.

The one thing I'm positive of is that what I'm seeing isn't what all the other characters on the show are seeing and I can't be sure who is delusional. Could be Elliot. Could be me! :-)

Either way it's a fun ride because this show is pretty unique compared to everything else out there right now.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, August 03, 2015 - 9:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Episode 4 didn't progress the story much (it was when Elliot detoxed) but I realise I misunderstood a lot of it.

Firstly, the other hackers have all interacted with real people or things now, so are all definitely real, at least the way I see it.

Secondly, Elliot goes to a motel to detox. When I watched it the first time I thought Mr Robot was real. Now I think he's not real, and that changes everything. The black hacker and the fat hacker babysat him at first, then they leave and Mr Robot stays. Elliot persuades him he needs one more hit, they go to a drug den, there's a shoot out, and then lots of Elliot delusions.

Originally I thought the drug den part of it was real, then the delusions were partly drugs/partly being shot, and that somehow at the end of it Mr Robot gets him back to the motel room and he finally detoxes.

But Mr Robot isn't real, or so I think now, and although Mr Elliot could have gone to the drug den alone (they take a taxi) the doorkeeper at the drug den talks to Mr Robot! To me that means everything was a delusion, including the extra dose of drugs and the shoot out, where Elliot is shot in the arm, and he was in the motel bed all along. Don't know if that was obvious to everyone else, but I missed that first time round.

I also assumed the little video shots of the masked man threatening everyone was real, and now I'm not so sure about that either. During the drug haze it's the scene where he sees one of the videos being recorded, steps into shot, Mr Robot gives him a mask (doesn't take his own off though), still while the camera is running. That couldn't have happened a) because is was part of the detox delusion, and b) because anyone who saw the video would see Elliot.

So now I'm wondering if the videos with the masked Mr Robot aren't real either. I know FSociety is known to their real world, because of the news reports that everyone sees, but I haven't paid enough attention to know who has seen the mask videos, and if it's just Elliot.

In another part of the delusion he is talking to, and almost marrying Angela. She says to him something like "you're not going to change the world are you, of course not, you were only born a month ago."

Only born a month ago? Not sure what that means, but the psychologist also said he had changed in the last month, so it's likely that's when he split with/started seeing Mr Robot. But Angela was talking to Elliot, so I don't really know what only being born a month ago means...

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 11:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Episode 5 has me more confused. This time people in a cafe and the hacker team interacted with Mr Robot (Christian Slater), Darlene not only spoke to him but he threw her keyboard out of her hands!

First time, in the cafe, they're at a table and Mr Robot goes up to the counter, jostling people on the way (who all react) and then bumps into the guy from Steel Mountain to pilfer his card key thing. The other two male hackers didn't acknowledge him as such, but someone got that card key, because they use it later.

Later Elliot humiliates that assistant guy Bill at Steel Mountain and I think is on a bit of a power trip at what he can do, which is more like the Mr Robot personality. After that they go back to the arcade and Mr Robot (actual Christian Slater) starts arguing with Darlene, because Darlene's upset about the Chinese hackers pulling out of the plan and wants to destroy the data anyway, but Mr Robot says they can't do that alone. This is clearly Darlene interacting with Christian Slater, Elliot is to the side being very quiet, much like Mr Robot often is when Elliot is speaking.

Then Christian Slater gets so angry he says something like "can anyone communicate with this woman," and Elliot steps up, which is when Christian Slater goes back into the corner of the room. Elliot gently tells Darlene what she needs to hear, they all leave and no more Christian Slater in sight.

So... new theory! I think Mr Robot is more a separate identity (rather than a delusion) and is becoming more dominant, so much so that sometimes Elliot fades away. I don't know if it's just the power trip of what they're doing, or perhaps the cold turkey detox broke his brain a bit more, but Elliot is acting more and more like Mr Robot, and the show is representing that as the others now talking to Christian Slater, with Elliot in the background. When Elliot's more gentle personality is needed, Mr Robot fades back into the background, and the show represents the person talking as Elliot.

What I did note is that Mr Robot and Elliot are never dominant at the same time except when they're talking to each other, in which case no one sees them. In the past Mr Robot has always been either in the background gesticulating or making comments that don't warrant a direct response, or in that one case he got between Darlene and Elliot, but Darlene still saw Elliot. When Mr Robot was dominant in this episode you couldn't really see Elliot, he was in the darkness at the side of the room. And when Elliot was needed, Mr Robot faded away again.

Or.... Mr Robot has been a separate person all along!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"But Mr Robot isn't real, or so I think now, and although Mr Elliot could have gone to the drug den alone (they take a taxi) the doorkeeper at the drug den talks to Mr Robot!"

Or....the doorkeeper was just talking to Elliott when Mr Robot was in control as the dominant personality. If all of the hackers are Elliot's various personalities that could actually explain every instance of the hackers interacting with other people or with each other....

I find myself more and more convinced of the multiple personality explanation....but I'm still in the dark when it comes to knowing exactly which characters (other than Mr Robot) are actually separate and distinct individuals as opposed to various personalities of Elliot's. From what I've read in the past, multiple personality syndrome - or whatever term is used these days - usually involves several other different personalities, not just one. That diner/kidnapping scene makes me wonder if those two bad guys are part of Elliot's "entourage" of personalities.

I don't believe that Mr Robot is a separate individual at all. I really can only perceive him as being a different side of Elliott...and the best explanation I can find to describe that is the multiple personality scenario.

"When Mr Robot was dominant in this episode you couldn't really see Elliot, he was in the darkness at the side of the room. And when Elliot was needed, Mr Robot faded away again."

I hadn't noticed this foreground/background staging before, but it would make perfect sense to stage scenes this way if the director was presenting different personalities of a single person as they take turns being in control and interacting with others around them.

Every time we see Mr Robot interacting with someone, I always think of it as actually being Elliot, and "Mr Robot" is just the dominant personality at that moment.

Kitt, the more I watch this show and read your observations, the more I lean towards the idea of multiple personality disorder rather than delusional thinking or hallucinations caused by drugs.

New episode tonight!!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The doorkeeper at the drug den spoke to Mr Robot about Elliot. Mr Robot had his arm around Elliot to hold him up, and asked the doorkeeper something about whether a dealer was in the house. The doorkeeper said that Elliot could go in but Mr Robot couldn't, definitely referred to them as two different people, that's why I think that whole drug den and the shooting was delusion. Also since then, there has been no reference to the gunshot in Elliot's arm, which he got when at the drug den.

I don't think the other hackers are multiple personalities because Shayla spoke to Darlene and referenced her more than once and Shayla's met lots of other people in the show (Angela, Gideon...). If Shayla's real and she sees Darlene, I think Darlene has to be real.

Also Darlene and the Muslim girl went out together and were both spoken to by the Chinese hackers (another scene which seemed weird and possibly a delusion, but doesn't really fit in with multiple personalities). The black hacker and the big hacker stole a car together, the one they used to go to Steel Mountain. More importantly perhaps, was that those scenes both happened without Elliot present. I don't see how that can happen if they were Elliot's personalities, wouldn't Elliot have to be there?

I am going to have to rewatch Episode 6 before I get to the new episode!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 6:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"The doorkeeper said that Elliot could go in but Mr Robot couldn't, definitely referred to them as two different people, that's why I think that whole drug den and the shooting was delusion."

That makes sense. And that was the episode that was all mostly delusional. I wondered later if that was all a delusion or just some of it, but I had forgotten the bit with the doorkeeper.

Of course, if that doorkeeper bit was all delusion, maybe the previous car stealing and the other interactions among the hackers were Elliot's delusions, too.

I'm really curious what you thing about the first few minutes of episode 6. Those two bad guys can't be real no matter what else is going on with Elliot.

I'm beginning to think I'm better off just watching it unfold instead of trying to figure it all out. It's really great storytelling but here I am trying to find a shortcut through the mystery! I know that the journey itself is where all the entertaining drama is so why am I trying to mentally jump past it to figure out the ending? "Fightclub" wouldn't have nearly as good if we knew what was actually happening at the beginning of the movie.