TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 01, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Astronaut Wives Club: Archive through August 01, 2015 users admin

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
I still make Tater Tot Surprise! Loved this week's recipe "porcupine ball" Had toothpicks stuck all over to look like quills! LOL

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Color, I had forgotten that we went to the moon more than once too. When I read The Astronaut Wives Club, it reminded me that we went back with the little dune (or moon) buggy. They drove it around and played golf on the moon. That little buggy is still up there, cause they couldn't bring it back.

I didn't know Rene Carpenter had lost a baby. So sad! They didn't bring that up in the book.

Love this show! Reminds me of my childhood when all the moms were home and the kids would play all over the neighborhood, in and out of each other's houses all day.

Next week we meet the "New Nine," the guys they brought in for the Gemini missions. They were called "Gemini" (the twins) because they started doing two-man missions.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I'm concerned that this is going to be a very limited series, if we're onto Gemini already. We've had a year in two episodes and only another year left on Mercury. Gemini lasted only two years total. Is the show meant to last beyond this summer?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 8:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Kitt, for some reason I was thinking it was only supposed to be a short series, but I could have made that up, LOL.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yep, looks like it's a 10 episode limited series. It almost seems a bit rushed.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
That's how the book was, too. It mainly followed the events surrounding all the launches.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 5:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
It doesn't have to be a long series. I'm enjoying every moment of it. If it only lasts the summer it will have been an enjoyable way to spend the hot summer evenings here.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 6:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I agree, Misspoufy! It's so nice that the networks have finally realized people are home watching TV in the summer and stopped giving us reruns. It's too hot here to be outside!

Starr

07-09-2005

Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 6:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Starr a private message Print Post    
When my teenage daughter was going through one of her trendy vegan and/our vegetarian fad diets, she wasn't happy when we learned about gelatin. Who knew there was 'animal fat' in not only jello, but all her favorite "gummy" candies (gummy worms, licorice, etc...) and some yogurts, apple juices, and one of her favorites - marshmallows! Then, we did more research to find it in so many non-edibles like face masks, shampoos, nail polish remover, some photo developing paper, water color papers, glues...

RE: the show - I really enjoy it. I have vague childhood memories from all the space activity back then. My gram had even taken my sister and I to visit Kennedy Space Center/Cape Canaveral around the time of a launch.

I love watching period pieces partly because I was terrible at history in school. This way, I'm actually learning something! Haha. Its amazing to see how the wives became such celebrities and also how scandalous the husbands could be! A sign of the times that made me laugh was how the one wife thought it was shocking that the astronaut was written about "walking around the home barefoot!" ::gasp!:: as if people might think he's some beatnik/hippie LOL.

Dahli

11-27-2000

Friday, July 17, 2015 - 11:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dahli a private message Print Post    
I love this show
Interesting that even with all that questionable food people were normal size. I think portions were too and gluttony was not so common
The last 35 years with all the diet products and toxic food facsimiles being consumed excessively disease and obesity numbers are insane

People are almost double in size now and I'm not talking height! It's really tragic shows like this really remind me of how it used to be

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 9:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Well, in the 50's and 60's people walked a lot more and we also did more of our own house work including lawn mowing.and most importantly - we got up from a chair to change the channel!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think that's it, they were more generally active during the day than most of us now. And portion size was better of course.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Sadiesmom, in our house we didn't get up to change the channel. My dad always made my brother do it.

I agree, though. The food we were eating back then was generally more natural and healthy. Not so much fast food and high fructose corn syrup added into everything. Ugh.

Dahli

11-27-2000

Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 11:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dahli a private message Print Post    
Exactly Babyj. Ugh.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, July 20, 2015 - 5:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Happy Moon Day, all! 46 years ago today (July 20, 1969) Neil Armstrong stepped out onto the moon for the very first time. I remember watching it on our tiny black and white TV, while eating dinner on TV trays. I remember exactly what we were eating too: lemon butter fish with baked potatoes. Mmmmmm!

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, July 20, 2015 - 6:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I think Babyjax just proved the point...lemon butter fish with baked potatoes. Healthy with a side of healthy. Granted now potatoes are the devil, but i'm willing to bet they also weren't the size of a forearm either.
(Now wanting fish.)

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, July 20, 2015 - 6:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Gurliegirl, there was probably a vegetable in there, too (most likely green beans), but I've blocked that part out. And no they weren't gigantic potatoes either. I miss the days when my mom cooked for me!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, I can't wait to se what their list of demands contain!!

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 9:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I'm enjoying this for a summer show. It is reminiscent of Swingtown for me. Not for the material or anything, just a light summer show set in an era.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 6:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Me too, Jasper. Also makes reminds me of Swingtown though that was set about ten years later in '76.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Lived Swingtown.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Oops LOVED Swingtown. Lol.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New show tonight we get to see what their demands are, LOL.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 31, 2015 - 9:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
OMG, just so sad..

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 4:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I went to high school with Bonnie White - Ed White's daughter. She was much younger when he died.
I remember when it happened and was so sad. It was kind of weird to meet Bonnie all those years later. She really never talked about him.