TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 03, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Astronaut Wives Club: Archive through July 03, 2015 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 5:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New show tonight!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 7:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'm enjoying this show much more than I thought I would.

Just looked it up. There were two ticker tape parades in Chicago for astronauts -- in '69 and '71. Only saw one of them. I was in Madrid, Spain for moon landing so didn't see parade for those three. Kind of remember that I saw Shepard so that would have been parade in '71. Saw him from nine stories up.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Friday, June 26, 2015 - 8:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I tried watching the first episode and found the acting so horrible I had to delete my timer for it. When they were on the beach, I felt like they were actually reading the script off a teleprompter just off screen. I wish I didn't care about stuff like that, but it was just so distracting to me I couldn't finish watching.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, June 26, 2015 - 1:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I love this show! So emotional to think about sending someone you love out into space. I love the bond among the wives. Even snooty old Louise Shepard is coming around.

I remember reading about how Gus Grissom almost drowned. Sickening that they would be more concerned about the capsule than a man's life.

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
So sad about what happened to him later. I remember watching all the news coverage of when his capsule burned on the launch pad. Think I was about 10.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, June 26, 2015 - 5:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I am enjoying it too.
Gurlie, I think the stiffness is part of the characters Kind of that 50's stepford wife vibe LOL.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, the girls all brought the potluck food.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 6:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Double Decker Tuna Loaf, Smoky Cocktail Weenies, Tater Tots and Rice, OMG....I do wonder where they got the names, LOL.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Nasa's story is that they didn't realise Gus was in trouble in the water. He'd forgotten to close one of the air holes in his suit (because of the rush to get out when the hatch popped) so the suit was letting water in, and was heavy without the air to add to its bouyancy. And apparently he waved and they thought he was saying he was fine, when he was actually saying the opposite. They were concentrating on the capsule but they thought Gus was fine, didn't realise he was struggling.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I was just coming to say some of those NASA guys are pretty nasty to the astronaut's.

Also " We're NASA, not the mob", died laughing.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 12:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I do wonder where they got the names, LOL."

This show has a "food stylist" who does the food!

Here's an article about what Emily Marshall (the food stylist) does for this show...with PHOTOS of the 60's style food!

Jell-O Molds and Shrimp Trees: Behind the Insane Vintage Food of ABC's "The Astronaut Wives Club"

ABC’s new miniseries “The Astronaut Wives Club,” is technically the story of the women behind America’s first astronauts, whose historic trips to space skyrocketed them—and their families—to national celebrity. But the show’s food—from technicolor Jell-O molds to bacon-wrapped oysters to a towering shrimp tree—plays just as much of a starring role as the women themselves. We spoke with Emily Marshall, the food stylist who cooked all the show’s insane vintage dishes herself. Marshall talked to us about being up to her ears in pimento olives, and how she cooked her way through hundreds of vintage recipes (including some from our very own archives!). Be warned: You’ll want to get yourself to the nearest salad after reading about all her mayo-laden creations.

<snip>

beefaroni
Beefaroni casserole decorated with cheese triangles, pimento olives, and bell pepper. Photo: Emily Marshall

<snip>

Full article

http://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/pop-culture/article/astronaut-wives-club

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Too funny SanFranJoshFan, she probably used some real recipes as inspiration, LOL.

Actually some of them are real. When I googled Bacon Banana Hollandaise, I got a real vintage recipe called Ham Banana Hollandaise, and it looked good awful, but was basically what the dish implies.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Oh, this takes me back to some of the godawful stuff we ate when I was growing up. Velveeta cheese, KoolAid.

Dipo, I think that wife was bringing "Tater Tot Surprise," not "Tater Tots and Rice." I still love Tater Tots to this day!

I'm reading the book The Astronaut Wives Club. They really were treated like rock stars. And a lot of those husbands were taking advantage of all those groupies hanging around at the Cape. They were called "Cape Cookies." Almost the only exception was John Glenn, who was apparently straight as an arrow.

Those Corvettes were provided to the original 7 Mercury astronauts in a $1 a year lease. They could trade it in every year for a new one. The wives got $1 a year station wagons, since their image was to be the happy little homemakers who cooked Tuna Casseroles for her hubby and cared for his children.

Life magazine had an exclusive contract to cover the astronauts and their families. They put up $500,000 to be shared among the 7. To families who'd been struggling to live on an officer's meager pay for years, that was a ton of cash. They also put up $100,000 life insurance policy on each astronaut.

Later when they moved to Houston, they even got free homes in a brand new subdivision! It's a pretty amazing story.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hahahahaha, about the Tater Tots, sometimes my brain hears weird things, I know I heard Tater Tot Surprise so it is funny that I typed Tater Tots and Rice, didn't even notice that.

Oh, LOL, I still make Koolaid, have some in the cabinet, and I love tater tots as well. I should google tater tot surprise.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
We liked Tater Tots but then we discovered the Birdseye potato ??puffs?? Not sure but they were seasoned nicely.. I'm sure garlic was part of it and they had a smoother surface and were just wonderful. I don't think they exist any more and I haven't had something like that in ages.

I do have a weakness for McDonald's hash browns, but it is a rare day would actually have them now. I'm not sure when I last even went to a McDonald's. I know I went for breakfast in December 2012 after my overnight sleep test.. I was frazzled from a very uncomfortable night wired to machines, dumped out at 5am and had gunk in my hair but no hairdryer so I didn't wash it and grumpy, so I went and got a sausage biscuit and hash browns and then sat in the car (with a hat covering my gunky hair) and stupidly left the lights on and wore the battery down so I had to call autoclub.. and really just wanted to get home..

But those dishes.. I'm thinking not just "of the time" but of the potluck and of military wives getting together too..

That beefaroni looks good if you remove all the stuff on top.

My mom's go to was the jello with pineapple chunks and shredded carrots in it. I'm sure she had other dishes too but I definitely remember that.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 2:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, about McDonalds, I haven't been to one in years either but the other day I found hash browns at Safeway that are the exact same as McDonalds and you can pop them in the microwave. I got some, LOL. And they are just the right size for breakfast and don't require as much work, LOL.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 3:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Sea, my mom used to make Jello with pineapple chunks too (no shredded carrots, cause my brother and I wouldn't eat it). Jello was big in our house. For some reason my mom thought it had protein in it, so it was "good" for us. She used to let us drink liquid Jello when we were sick for a treat.

I think that beefaroni looks disgusting. It was probably made with Chef Boyardee, which was super disgusting. I bought some Spagettios for my son when he was about 10. He thought it was the grossest stuff ever. So mushy and tasteless!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, I forgot, I am going to go and google tater tot surprise and I am going to see what comes up at Safeway.com for Potato puffs, LMAO.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Tater tot surprise doesn't sound that bad if you substitute cheddar cheese for velveeta, LOL.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 4:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Babyjaxmom, your mother was correct!

What exactly is Jell-O made from?

<snip>

How can one possibly mold Jell-O into so many different shapes? The gelatin in Jell-O is what allows you to get so creative -- but what exactly is gelatin, anyway? Gelatin is just a processed version of a structural protein called collagen that is found in many animals, including humans. Collagen makes up almost one-third of all the protein in the human body. Collagen is a fibrous protein that strengthens the body's connective tissues and allows them to be elastic – that is, to stretch without breaking. As you get older, your body makes less collagen, and individual collagen fibers become increasingly cross-linked with each other. You might experience this as stiff joints from less flexible tendons, or wrinkles due to loss of skin elasticity.

Gelatin can come from the collagen in cow or pig bones, hides and connective tissues. Today, the gelatin in Jell-O is most likely to come from pigskin.

<snip>

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/j-ello.htm

Gee, who knew that Jello and footballs are made from the same thing? :-)
----------

Why I Drink Green Jello

<snip>

Gelatin is a good source of protein (6 grams per Tablespoon), collagen and amino acids (it has 18, 9 of which are essential).

<snip>

http://wellnessmama.com/3380/drink-green-jello/

--------

My sister used to drink a product called Knox gelatin drink every day in the late 60's...it was a product to help strengthen and help hair and nails grow. She claimed it worked!

-------------

I hope I didn't ruin Jello for anybody!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, June 29, 2015 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It was already spoilt for me! It's basically boiled up leftover animal. Nasty!

My mum used to get a little juice glass and fill it with layers of jelly of different colours/flavours, letting each flavour set at an angle, so it gave diagonal stripes. Very fancy. But my favourite was milky jelly, which had more of a blancmange texture. The milkman gave free jelly moulds when you bought however-much-it-was milk, and we had a rabbit shaped one and a cow one.

(Also have a collagen story. Collagen scatters x-ray in a very regulated pattern, because the scales in it are extremely uniformly sized. This was very useful for calibrating some of our experiments, so we used to have a freezer with rats tails in, and you'd slice down the tail and pull out these string like things that ran the length of the tail, those were the collagen strands. Not my favourite day when that needed to be done.)

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 3:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Here's a recipe for Tater Tot Surprise. It actually sounds kind of yummy.

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/beef/tater-tot-surprise.html

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, it sort of sounds like an easier shepards pie, LOL. I had looked it up and thought it sounded kind of tasty myself. I had to stop myself from getting tater tots this week, LOL.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Show tonight, wonder what they will bring for potluck this time, LOL.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
You want to laugh? I still laugh at myself when I think about it. And I still don't believe it. Some years ago I was on-line friends with a guy who worked at the New Mexico Museum of Space History in Alamogordo. We talked space.

I truly thought we had been to the moon only the one time in July '69. I totally missed all the other times????? I believe it, but it's hard to believe. All these years since I thought "we" were there just the one time!

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Friday, July 03, 2015 - 5:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
Don't feel bad -- as least you knew we actually landed on the moon. There are still deniers out there who believe the moon landing was staged, in the Arizona desert.