TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
The Astronaut Wives Club

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Astronaut Wives Club users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 22, 2015Seamonkey25 06-22-15  3:52 pm
Archive through July 03, 2015Daydreamer25 07-03-15  5:36 am
Archive through August 01, 2015Texannie25 08-01-15  4:53 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Scout

01-19-2005

Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 5:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
That was really sad. Does anyone know if, in real life, Gus Grissom's wife was really an advocate for better ways to inform the wives of what was happening?

It seemed strange, that after NASA agreed to change the way they informed the wives of deaths or injuries, that same Dr. showed up at the door to tell her.

I really love this show. I almost gave up after the first episode. It seemed like it was going to be about just a bunch of womanizing astronauts, even though the title said "wives". So glad i kept on.

I like to watch it as much for the clothing styles and the house design as the story, but the stories are really compelling, too.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 9:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
According to Haley Strode (Jane Conrad) "That actual moment in the script, that was something that was a creative liberty — that moment didn’t actually happen in real life." http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/31/astronaut-wives-club-episode-7-rendezvous-postmortem-haley-strode

Scout

01-19-2005

Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Misspoufy - that was an interesting article. Thanks for posting the link.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So sorry that the demands came from a such a sad place.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Oh, that was such a sad episode. I started sniffling as soon as he told her he was taking her to Paris. I knew it would never happen and I knew what was coming. I remember watching parts of the funeral on TV (I was 11). I was so sad for all those kids who had lost their dad.

Betty Grissom was no shrinking violet. She later did the unthinkable and sued NASA for her husband's wrongful death. I think she only got $300,000, which was a lot of money in those days. I forget which of the other wives it was, but one of them never really recovered from her husband's death. She ended up taking her own life many years later. I think she'd even remarried, but she could just never get over his death. So sad.

ETA: It was Ed White's wife! Ed White was the one all the other wives thought was so handsome and would practically drool when he jogged by their houses. His wife was the one who never got over his untimely death, so that would have been your friend's parents, Texannie. It may have been after you graduated, because it was many years after his death that she took her life. It was in the Astronaut Wives book.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Is the actress that played Babe on All My Children playing Eds wife on this show?

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
the mom was living when we were in high school.
so sad.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
this was from Wikipedia

White's wife Patricia remarried and continued to reside in Houston. On September 7, 1983 she committed suicide after surgery earlier in the year to remove a tumor.

Bonnie received his posthumous award. Bonnie looks like i remember her

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-060515a-edward-white-ambassador-exploration.html

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
The saddest part of those astronauts dying was that when the fire started, it sucked all the oxygen out of the capsule, so they actually suffocated rather than burned to death. The door of the capsule opened outward, but the suction created by the burned up oxygen caused a vaccuum, so they weren't even able to open the door and put out the fire. The design was changed after the accident, so the door would open inward, rather than outward. Such an awful tragedy.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I just wanted them to GO TO PARIS and as soon as he postponed it, I knew they would never go together.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 11:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Good episode tonight.. sorry this series is so short. More tears!!

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Monday, August 10, 2015 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
It's my must see TV show.

Dahli

11-27-2000

Friday, August 21, 2015 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dahli a private message Print Post    
Great show. Sad it went so fast and is already over

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 5:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Great Summer show. I wouldn't mind seeing more of these shows that wrap it up in one season.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 5:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Loved how it ended, but sad to see it come to an end. I hope the networks will pick up on this an produce more of these summer pleasure series. I really enjoyed this one!

Starr

07-09-2005

Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Starr a private message Print Post    
I loved this show, too. I noticed on my dvr, the description said "season 1 finale" so I'm hoping that means there will be a season 2!

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
I thought this show was a nice little surprise. I didn't expect to enjoy it so much... and I learned a little something, too. :-)

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Absolutely loved it! Amazing that out of the 30 astronauts in the program, only 7 marriages survived! We were gone on vacation, so I just finished watching today.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, August 31, 2015 - 5:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I hadn't planned on watching this series. Tried it after I saw positive comments here. So glad I did. I loved it. Summer series I most looked forward to every Thursday night.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: