TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 13, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Wayward Pines on FOX: Archive through June 13, 2015 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 10:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Well I was kind of right about the children. Just out by a couple of millennia ;).

Really quite thrilling in a way, that we know such major things about the story. So many possibilities from here!

Next episode in TWO weeks according to the trailer, not sure why.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 3:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I was kind of right about the time travel....only it's a one way trip and it takes two thousand years to get there! :-)

But that's what gets me. How on earth could that scientist/doctor guy know that 2,000 years was the proper amount of time for the "Abbys" to evolve? (Well, unless he was the one that started it with his hybrid experiments.) But how could they build Wayward Pines if the only way to even get there was to take a 2,000 year long nap?

Teresa told the new guy that the house she was showing him had been built only 12(?) years ago and that's why it looked like it was brand new. They couldn't have built the town in the present and then waited for 2,000 years to populate it with all those "frozen" folks. Even if they just stored the building materials in a bunker so they could build Wayward Pines 2,000 years later, the wood would dry out, the plastic materials would have started to break down and become brittle. Rubber would decompose. Steel would have rusted. Copper would have become corroded. Paper would disintegrate. Any natural fiber would break down. In fact, just about any organic material would decompose.

I would guess that if they built the giant wall in the present, it might possibly survive that long, but not with an electric fence on top of it.

Besides, the entire city of Boise (including highways, bridges, buildings, etc) had totally been wiped off the map by the overgrown forest, so why would the wall survive? In fact, I don't think that even the street sign Ethan found that had "Boise" painted on it would have survived. It would have been rusted through and the paint eroded off by 2,000 years of weathering, especially laying on the ground in a forest. (I grew up on a farm and there were some old steel barrels and junk that had been laying around behind the barn for years and they were so rusted, you could poke a hole in them with your finger.)

Oh well, I think it's great they gave up so much information in this episode, but I'm still left feeling really suspicious about it. There's got to be more to it.

Oh yeah, a friend of mine pointed it out to me that the scenes where we saw both the sheriff and the doctor in the present AND in the future were just flashbacks to 2,000 years ago. They just edited it to make it appear to the audience that it was all present day.

I can always accept the impossible in sci-fi, but the improbable, not so much. If they don't explain exactly how they were able to build an apparently almost brand new town in a world of chaos and danger that was devoid of civilization like the one we saw on tonight's episode, then I guess I'll just have to accept both the impossible AND the improbable!

In other words, I'll still be hooked on this show even if they don't answer some pretty basic questions about how they could plan and create such a thing 2,000 years in advance. The fact is, the government just isn't that smart or efficient. :-)

Spoton

09-16-2005

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 5:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spoton a private message Print Post    
The thing that bothered me the most was "don't tell your parents because adults can't handle the truth". Huh? But they CAN handle being held captive in a pretend town with wacky rules that if they disobey they will be publicly executed?? Besides, this is a world created by adults, so why don't they just make their own babies.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 8:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
I'm with you Spoton. Why the big secret from the adults? Is it that the story fed to the kids isn't true? Partially true?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 9:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
You think too much Sanfran! I was all excited by it and now you've made me see holes!

I think we have to assume, unless they tell us next episode, that there is some sort of "suspended animation" element to the "sleep" through time, and that applies to the machinery and supplies too, halting their decay.

Then 14 years ago (I think that's what they said) the scouts looked round the area (that's how they got the photos), decided it was ok to build, cleared it, pulled the machinery and supplies out of animation and started building. That's why the houses are 12 years old (even those, like the one they found the dead guy in, that were made to look older).

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 9:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think the idea with the adults is that the families were chosen almost entirely because of their children, which were/are especially talented. So you could have a family that were, I don't know, very backward thinking, but they had a talented child so were still brought along. Then telling them the information would just cause chaos, so a rule is made for children not to tell any adult, when presumably some of the adults are actually trusted with the news and are told about it by other adults.

Another hole... it makes sense for any parent to be there, regardless of their talents, because of the children. But why did they bring other people without kids who didn't (seem to) have any relevant special skills? Like Juliette Lewis, who was, I think, a barmaid. I guess that explains why she was so expendable, but why was energy spent on bringing her, without family, forward in time?

Spunky

10-07-2001

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 10:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I like sci-fi but not when it's total lunacy! The whole 'truth' seems a slap to my face and those kids (supposedly smarter) buying every word at orientation, that easy? And yet again we have a mad scientist who created the whole village thousands of years after the end of humans to preserve of few picked not at random but by design?? What nonsense is this. If nothing else survived around them, it would be impossible to find the resources to build a brand new village, unless they have a magic wand. And those abbies (what name!) may have had 2 thousand years to evolve that way but they would have found a way to invade the village and eat every one of them, if they're so invincible and in packs would rule the whole world, no electrical fences would keep them away. Well, it's easy to figure out that eventually the 'dumb adults' would see in Ethan an ally and start organize themselves to find some answers and solutions.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 10:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
This took a bit of a turn that I don't quite get. But I'll keep watching.

I have to assume that if the scientist were smart enough to know that humans would devolve into abbies, and could selectively "crash" people and put them into suspended animation, with the help of the FBI, he probably had some technology to help him protect a particular area so that it could be rebuilt when the time was right.

It's no more difficult to believe than all the rest of it .. for me. :-)

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I too was left wondering why they would tell the kids but not the adults! It makes no sense to let all the adults think they are there because of a car crash and will die in the public square if they dont go along with the program!! Surely there must have been more people like Matt Dylan who went looking for the truth themselves?
And doesnt evolution work by going forward, not backwards? These new humans seem to have taken several steps backwards on the evolutionary ladder! Unless someone like the good doctor caused all this to happen with a virus or something.
There is probably a lot more to the sotry than was told to the kids--if even that was true!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 11:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I have to agree, there's something incongruent about not telling the adults to avoid them committing suicide, but then publicly executing them....

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It could be genetic dabbling that "devolved" the humans, but evolution isn't always for the good, evolution moves in favour of working better in the environment the creature is in.

So if all agriculture, edible vegetables etc., died off for some reason and yet (conveniently) animals survived, became a scarcity but the only source of food, then those humans who were faster and better able to catch the animals would be favoured (because they could support their families and reproduce).

With time and more of the surviving population being good hunters then better hunting features would become preferential, like those who had sharper fingernails and could slash open the skin and rip off meat more quickly would survive over those who couldn't.

But talons and pointy ears!? I think we will find out it was genetics!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 2:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Then 14 years ago (I think that's what they said) the scouts looked round the area (that's how they got the photos), decided it was ok to build, cleared it, pulled the machinery and supplies out of animation and started building."

I guess I keep thinking about other sci-fi shows where they are colonizing another planet. The new people build some kind of very basic living accommodations, usually with modular pre-fab walls and stuff that they can assemble pretty easily....or just start out with tents or something.

However, in the Wayward Pines scenario, they built a whole town with streets full of houses with carpets and molding and painted walls and sofas and beds and mattresses and doors and windows with panes of glass and toilets and running water and sidewalks and paved streets, and the list goes on. AND they did it all with no spare parts for the future! Do they have some kind of bunker holding several warehouses full of lumber, nails, glass window panes, electrical equipment, clothing, asphalt, food, etc?

Think about the last time you moved. Now multiply that amount of stuff by the number of houses in Wayward Pines. Now add the houses themselves. That's how much stuff they would've had to plan to bring with them 2,000 years before departure.

It makes me wonder how many carpenters, electrical guys, plumbers, excavators, interior decorators, architects, road pavers and cement workers they had to freeze for 2,000 years just to build the place.

I keep thinking that the doctor lied to Ethan about how they got there....that they weren't in suspended animation but arrived through some kind of time portal or inter-dimensional rift to a parallel universe or something.

Seriously, think about it...how many people here have gone to the beach or on vacation and forgot something you needed, like the suntan lotion or sunglasss? Now imagine the logistics of packing everything you would ever need to build a whole town within a giant wall AND everything you would ever need to maintain it for many generations to come because there is simply no going back for ANYTHING and you would have to decide what you would need 2,000 years in advance??

I guess I'm just totally hung up on the logistics...even if all the stuff was also in some kind of suspended animation, they would have still had to make the decision on what to bring 20 centuries ago....and without even being able to ask anyone in the future town what they needed.

Sheriff Pope commented on how they don't get new flavors of ice cream "very often". They even decided on what flavors of ice cream to include? And they dole out a new flavor on rare occasions?

I'll calm down now. :-)

Spunky

10-07-2001

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
A time portal would have been preferable to this nonsense 2 thousand years lapse, how in the world could the mad scientist recruit these people and kept them frozen for 2 thousand years, he too would have been in suspended animation, all the while those creatures who were humans and experimented upon evolved in those monsters lurking the village could have devoured whatever human flesh in the freezer and no village could have been possible to build when all stored materials would have disintegrated during 2 thousand years. By wanting to shock us with the timeline, they didn't consider a few simple things, the durability of whatever scrap of wood they wanted to preserve to build a village with all the modern conveniences we enjoy nowadays. There has to be some other 'truth' out there...

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 5:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
It occurred to me that maybe they kept "freezing" (or whatever they do to preserve people for so long) people and supplies for much of that 2,000 years, but then I rewatched the part of last night's episode when the teacher explained it all to the 3 kids.

She said that those ancient quarters were "the last remaining artifacts of our civilization, which died out 2,000 years ago" (or words to that effect).

I would assume that civilization must have ended around the time that quarter was minted, give or take a decade or so. The quarter was dated 2095.

That tells us that human civilization was wiped out about 80-100 years after Ethan first went out to look for the two missing agents in 2014.

Unless humanity started to evolve into the "abbys" around 2014 or so, there is really no way anyone could have predicted the fall of civilization and the subsequent need for a town with a wall for protection from the "abbies" in 4028.

My guess is that the doctor talking about his hybrid pine trees to Ethan's son and the girl when they saw him in the woods (or park or whatever it was) was a big clue. Maybe his own hybrid experiments extended to people and the doctor actually caused the fall of human civilization.

It's a bit odd, too, that "present day" to Ethan and his family is 2014, but they are actually in 4028...which is exactly 2014 years later.

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 6:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
Are all the people in the town from 2014? If they aren't some of the kids would start to ask about things that happened after their "accident".

Also, wouldn't the parents wonder why their kids who were so eager to go "home" are now happy to be there?

I don't think we have all the information we need to know what's really going on. I am enjoying the show and I hope the real answer isn't too lame.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Are all the people in the town from 2014?"

Jennifer Lewis's character's "accident" happened in 1999 I think....or maybe it was 2000....and she woke up in the WP hospital.

Kate, Ethan's old partner, disappeared only 5 weeks before Ethan, also in 2014, but they "thawed her out" 12 years before they "thawed out" Ethan.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 6:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
That the doctor could have caused the end of humanity himself, is a good idea. The way everyone feels time gone by is so odd. They are not all on the same page with even that!
When the head real estate agent told the main character's wife that houses come up and people trickle in a few at a time, it made me wonder where some of them go. Cold it be that the adults are going to turn into abbys because they carry a mutated gene or are infected, and the kids dont?

Spunky

10-07-2001

Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 7:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Can't see the logic of not telling the adults and brainwashing the kids by telling them if the adults knew they would commit suicide (like one family did), that seemed to scare the kids but 'those' kids, more assertive kids would have insisted on informing the adults as well. These kids, the first generation, have a specific purpose for the mad scientist, but why then were the adults chosen for a specific purpose, were their children the specific purpose? But why some adults have no kids? And why was Ethan chosen as the sheriff? If every fact in that town was for a specific purpose we fail to see the logic. I think Ethan's wife is the one who will find out more than Ethan could find out and I hope these two would cooperate more instead of getting hung up on their past relationship.
The time jump was more for shock and awe the audience than for any logic truth, even the resources to keep a freezer going would deteriorate over two thousand years and the writers think us too dumb to buy their 'truth'.
The aberrations is not something new and genetic alterations can surely lead to these type of creatures and we want to guess that the mad scientist wants to use those kids to repopulate earth and destroy the aberrations, but if he's the culprit of what what happened 2 thousand years ago I doubt he has the best intentions towards those kids.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 9:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
the families were chosen almost entirely because of their children, which were/are especially talented.

How did they know that Ethan's wife and son would follow him to WP?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Maybe they could grab Ethan's wife and son on any lonely stretch of highway, which they would probably be on within the next few weeks (as they were in Idaho), it was just convenient that they went to Wayward Pines.

Another thing is maybe the kids are told the adults can't know.... but that doesn't mean the adults don't actually know, it's just what the kids are told. Maybe all the adults do know with time. It seemed like the older realtor guy knew a reasonable amount, if not the specifics, and he didn't seem like he was part of the cover up, just a regular guy. Perhaps there is a very realistic cover story that a lot of the adults are told to keep them happy, while a large group are told the truth.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
The gaps in logic associated with the idea they were in suspended animation for 2,000 years makes me believe that the doctor was simply continuing to lie.

He arrived in a helicopter to save Ethan, right? Where the heck did that helicopter come from? We've seen several aerial shots of the small town of Wayward Pines since the show started. There is no visible helipad in town....so that helicopter must be kept somewhere other than the town of Wayward Pines.

It's possible the doctor didn't lie about the 2,000 year time difference, but maybe human civilization didn't die out like they claim. Maybe there are other towns or entire futuristic cities away from Wayward Pines.

That would explain the almost brand new looking town that hasn't started to decay or fall apart. It would also explain where that helicopter came from. It would even explain how they have gotten new flavors of ice cream.

I'm thinking that Wayward Pines is some kind of experiment in mind control. For all we know, the mad doctor created the "abbys" as a further inducement to control the population of WP and keep them from escaping. Maybe the decaying city of Boise was just a trick and they aren't really in 4028. Maybe the "abbys" are only out of control in that particular part of the country and not the dominant species of the whole world like the teacher claimed.

Maybe WP is just an experiment and they really only froze those folks for 14 years as a test for how to cope with the possibility of the "abby's" taking over the rest of the world in the future..

I love this show....there are SO many possibilities and directions it could go!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Oh yeah....when I rewatched part of the the last episode, I noticed birds flying over the decayed city of Boise.

So now we know that there are birds, but no crickets.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I'm hoping they do answer some of these questions that all of us have. What's the purpose of the public executions? Just to keep people in line? It's all very strange for sure but I'm intrigued. Yes, the entire logistics of supplies is the most troubling for sure. I would expect things to be primitive, not shiny and new. And who was around in 2000 years to "unfreeze" people??

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 12:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"When the head real estate agent told the main character's wife that houses come up and people trickle in a few at a time, it made me wonder where some of them go."

The real estate boss did say someone arrives "a couple times a month". We already know of 7 particular deaths in that town....the male Secret Service agent Ethan was looking for, the previous real estate guy who killed himself on the electrified fence, the sheriff who Ethan killed, the Juliette Lewis character who was publicly slaughtered in the middle of town, and the mother and father and child (Chris) who committed suicide, according to the teacher. We also know that the public executions have been ongoing but we don't know how many or how often.

Anyhow, we know of 4 people that have arrived since Ethan first showed up. The new arrivals are Ethan himself, his wife, his son, and that new guy to whom who Theresa gave a house. That adds up to about two months worth of replacements, who the real estate said shows up at the rate of about "two per month".

My guess is they need a certain number of people in town to keep it viable, but Wayward Pines has a pretty high mortality rate. A high mortality rate would also keep people in line and more prone to follow the rules.

It's no Mayberry, that's for sure....it's more like Hotel California! "You can check-out anytime you like, But you can never leave!"
:-)

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I have a feeling Sanfran's scenerios will be far superior to anything we see on this show