TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 04, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Leftovers on HBO: Archive through September 04, 2014 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 5:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, I noticed that. She's great on there.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Wow. Great catch! I never realized that was her on Masters of Sex! She is truly a good actress to be able to immerse her self so deeply in that role that's she's not remotely recognizable. Well, not recognizable to \i[me} anyhow! LOL I usually notice when actors I've seen before show up in roles where I don't expect them. That's kind of my "thing"!

Case in point - I've been enjoying one of Jesse Pinkman's (Breaking Bad) two cohort/idiots on "Murder in the First". He's also a much better actor than I gave him credit for.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Caught this week's episode, focusing on the Nora character who lost her husband and children in "the event". It was interesting. Boy, that pill they all took at that party made them all crazy..what was that do you think?

I really like the concept of the show, but I need a little something to explain the tie-in as to what happened and what the GR cigarette smokers are about SOON. JMO

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I liked the episode, a little bit self contained but gelled more than the minister's episode.

And now we know what Paterson Joseph's character is about (although not sure if he took her pain by an actual physical process or just by hypnosis (or if it matters)) now, whereas that was just left hanging before.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
HBO has (fortunately) greenlit a second season!

http://deadline.com/2014/08/the-leftovers-renewed-for-second-season-hbo-818792/

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I am happy to hear that Uncle Ricky! I like the show, but need a little bit more info about what these cigarette smokers are all about. Just a hint, please producers!!!:-)

They can't just keep stringing us along w/o any hints of what they are all about...can they?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, August 18, 2014 - 1:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Well, tonight's episode was one that had me so riveted, I was surprised when it was over because I didn't realize it had been a whole hour until the credits rolled!

Patsy finally explained what the GR was all about, but like Kevin, I don't really understand the point of it either. It seems that they feel it's wrong to move on from the event. They strip themselves of all attachments and belongings and feelings so the only thing left is their memory of the vanishing. It seems to be the opposite of what most people believe......that when something horrible happens, you learn to accept it and move on with your life. The GR seems to believe the opposite. They have no hope, no families, no voice, and no desire to do anything but dwell on the day everyone vanished...and to make sure others don't forget or move past it either.

The GR is just another religion or cult that tries to explain something that's unknowable. The thing is, it will only make sense to the people crazy enough to buy into it, but the logic of their religion/cult doesn't hold up unless one wholeheartedly gives into it and refuses to question it. (The vow of silence is certainly one way to hep keep the questioning down!)

The fact that Patsy could go so far as to murder one of her own people by stoning her to death (with the victim's permission!) just to get the town's attention just punctuates the fact that the GR is lot more sinister and devious than they appear on the surface....and on the surface they are completely batshit crazy!

They also seem to believe something else is about to happen and they're planning some stunt that will really freak some folks out.

I wondered why they had broken into the homes of families who had lost someone and stolen their loved ones' photos, but now I think I know why. I believe they used the stolen photos as "blueprints" to send to that creepy Loved Ones company that builds bodies that with the likenesses of the people who vanished. Those fake bodies have now been delivered to their church and each body already had a set of clothes that Patsy carefully laid out for them.

I have no idea what they're going to do with the fake bodies....but it surely will not be well received by their survivors in that town. If their goal is to make people remember....some stunt with fake copies of their loved ones' bodies will certainly do that....but not in a good way.

Wow...this show just keeps on mesmerizing me!

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Monday, August 18, 2014 - 5:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
I cannot wait for next weeks show.

Redpen

07-24-2003

Monday, August 18, 2014 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
Looks like Laurie is the new head of the GR and her daughter has joined now. Poor Kevin!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, August 18, 2014 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
A depressed teen joining a cult. Not good!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, August 18, 2014 - 9:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
This show repels me and brings me down, but I still watch it to see what happens.

Maybe it is because I spend many days with people who are trying so hard to live despite having cancer

Of course no one on this show seems even slightly happy.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, August 18, 2014 - 11:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Those shows last season about scary cults... none have freaked me out as much as this one. The guy who delivered the fake bodies had the correct description for them.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 1:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Indeed.

And I still really don't want to see all the smoking.. just brings back memories and of course so many family members dying of smoking exacerbated conditions..

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Well, at least now we know the GR cult is insane for sure. They have no hope for the future so I guess that's what all the cigarette smoking is about.

I'm going to re-watch it, I think I still missed a lot. Scary cult.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Maybe they'll address the other cult now....the Wayne-hugs-you-back-to-peace-of-mind cult. I can't figure out if that guy is for real or just another opportunist....and what's with his two (or multiple?) pregnant acolytes? Is he trying to sire a new Messiah?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, August 22, 2014 - 10:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Good questions. At least he doesn't smoke..

Yes.. the smoking and the suicides..

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, August 22, 2014 - 11:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Are they all suicides? When Patti was talking to main_guy in the shed, it sounded to me like some of the cult members might be volunteered rather than volunteer themselves.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 11:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I found it a bit hypocritical to hear Liv Tyler's character whine "they're always following us!" Isn't that exactly what the people in white do to everyone else?

I get that this story is more about human relationships and human reactions to things unexplained but dang, you have to have someone you can understand or relate to and I'm having a hard time with that. I would like to think that after 3 years, more then a few were moving on in some positive way.

As for Wayne - Is he the messiah or the devil? I'm thinking the latter.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 11:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well that was an interesting episode!!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, August 25, 2014 - 1:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Excellent! I'd been wondering if Kevin or his wife had lost someone...and now we know they both did....but I'm thinking neither of them ever confided in the other about what happened that day. That explains a lot about their fractured relationship.

I was thinking this was just going to be an episode fleshing out the characters via a flashback until I saw the woman who lost her baby in the parking lot in episode one drive by in her car. That's when it hit me that it was a flashback to the day everyone vanished. It seems obvious to me now that it would be a revelation of that day but it never crossed my mind until that exact moment. This show draws me in so well, I tend to stop trying to figure it all out and I just stay focused on what's happening. For such an unlikeable cast of characters...I really care about them!

Now I wonder who this Michael guy was and how Tom going to that house got him into an altercation with the long haired guy. For a minute, as Kevin and his son pulled up to that house, I was wondering if huggy Wayne was going to be there.

It was great seeing Jill with her dorky blue braces and being a happy, kind of geeky smart kid because until now all we've seen of her is the cynical and melancholy side.

Only one more episode for this season! It's hard to believe there have already been 9 episodes because they just fly by so quickly while watching them and then the long wait for a whole week for the next one feels interminable. Of course, after next week we'll have to wait 9 months for new episodes!

Nooooooooooo! I'm already mourning the end of the first season. At least it has already been officially picked up for a second season.

Oh well, I did get a friend hooked on it and we've watched the first two episodes....he watched as I re-watched. On Wednesday, we'll see 2 or 3 more eps. This is one show that's well worth the effort to watch each episode more than once.

Is it next Sunday yet?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, August 25, 2014 - 9:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Not next Sunday, Sanfran, it said season finale in TWO Sundays' time (9/7)!

So that makes everything such a lot clearer! I agree neither probably shared, at least I'm sure the mother didn't share about the baby, Garvy might have done but it wasn't so significant.

I thought it was going to be huggy Wayne too! I think the long haired guy was Tom's father, they had similar colouring, and Tom said something like "I don't know why he can get away with it." I presumed he meant get away with moving on with a new family (the little boy) and not caring about him (Tom) and his mother anymore. And Garvy said something like "I'm your father" as if to reinforce that a bio-dad isn't necessarily a dad.

And Patti knew about things... or did she, as she'd predicted big events before that hadn't happened. The perfect sort of person to start a cult though.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, August 25, 2014 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Not next Sunday, Sanfran, it said season finale in TWO Sundays' time (9/7)! "

Seriously? The next two weeks is gonna feel like forever!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Just catching up on the last episode~

It was so nice to see some of them happy before "it" happened.

And Patti has had a foreshadowing about something happening before. Cult leader in training!!!

I almost died when Tom came into the picture...did they ever mention a son before?

So Kevin was dissatisfied about his life before "it" happened. Do we know why Kevin's wife was overwhelmed about getting the dog?

Seeing the Preacher man and his wife "before" was sad. He was the sick one...

So Kevin was picking up the girl that ran over the deer while she was getting a pregnancy checkup and then "it" happened. Nora was frustrated as hell when her family vanished...OMG.

WOW what an episode.

Holy crap and the baby was gone....So Kevin lost the woman he picked up and she lost the baby that he didn't know about...so they can never discuss it.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 2:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I almost died when Tom came into the picture...did they ever mention a son before? "

You are talking about Tom, Kevin's son, right? He has been in the picture since the first episode. He's the same Tom who is protecting the Asian pregnant girl for Wayne. Kevin has called him many times since episode one but Tom never picked up....and the last time Kevin called him, the number was disconnected...but that was after Wayne broke Tom's phone and gave him the smily face phone as a replacement.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I think the long haired guy was Tom's father, they had similar colouring, and Tom said something like "I don't know why he can get away with it.""

Kitt, I got my friend hooked on the show so I'm rewatching it with him....so on a second viewing of ep 4, there was a scene where Kevin was looking at photos and found one of his then pregnant wife folded in half, When he unfolded the photo he saw that, also in the photo, was his wife's first husband who had his head in her lap.

You are absolutely right...that was the guy in the house that Tom had an altercation with!

Screenshot from episode 4:
laurie

The ex husband is played by Scott William Winters, brother of actor Dead Winters. They even played brothers on the HBO series "Oz".

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0936001/?ref_=tt_cl_t18