TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
JUMPED THE SHARK!

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: JUMPED THE SHARK! users admin

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
they'll
(image from wikia.nocookie.net)

I saw something that made me think this this page needs a "Jump the Shark" thread so I started one!

This is for things you see in a show that are so over-the-top ridiculous and so off-target that it completely changes the way you perceive any given show. You know...like when Fonzie on Happy Days, the midwest family show, somehow wound in California on water skies jumping over a shark.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I think Night Shift jumped the shark a few episodes back when the ER was being slammed and and TC and Drew were trying to help a guy whose arm had been torn off. They were told other patients were worse off and the armless guy would have to wait.

Of course, TC and Drew couldn't let that stand so they found a quiet room (not an O.R.) and they reattached the guy's arm all by themselves....with no adequate lighting, no anesthesiologist, no O.R. nurses, no monitoring equipment, no special microscopic glasses or cameras, no doctor experienced in reattaching limbs...and to top it off....no masks or caps!...AND, as they worked they chatted and laughed over memories of their Afghanistan deployment.

This is not "drama"...it's just silly.

I was amazed that I was seeing this on a supposed "drama" and not an SNL skit. I even took pix of the screen to send to my sister who told me she stopped watching Night Shift a few weeks earlier because she said she kept rolling her eyes at it because the "drama" was just too silly and contrived.

Here are 2 screen caps of how they do an arm reattachment on The Night Shift:

night1
night2

----------

I am shocked that a "drama" like this got renewed and Stalker and Battle Creek both got canned. At least on Battle Creek, any ridiculous scene was intended to be funny, unlike Night Shift.

<rolling my eyes>

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 1:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
OMG, that is as bad as when cops don't wear gloves and then proceed to touch everything!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL - Those pictures are hilarious. I love the way they're having a good laugh while doing it.

(I don't watch this series by the way.)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 2:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Jimmer if you ever watch it, just remember that it's not intended to be a comedy.:-)

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 2:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Grimm...Juliet's storyline. so sad because I loved this show!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Pamy, I agree, most annoyed with the Juliette storyline on Grimm. I don't know that is has "Jumped the Shark" but I am a couple episodes behind. I never thought there was any chemistry between Nick and Juliette and only starting liking her character last year. As I said, most annoyed with her now.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 5:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
I don't watch medical shows like The Night Shift for the reality factor. You won't find it there anymore than you'd find it on General Hospital. You watch a show for the drama, for the character actions and relationships and they're no better than on this show. People can suspend reality and watch shows like Bitten, The Walking Dead, etc., why is it we think other shows have to be spot on?

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 6:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I agree with you MrsP. I have read that all the procedural crime shows have stretched reading clues way past the believable point, but I enjoy Bones, Elementary and NCSI. I also enjoy the heck out of Nightshift. These shows are all 'fairy tales' with the realism factor, but still enjoyable nonetheless.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 6:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The difference is with shows like The Walking Dead we have no real life zombies to compare it to so there is no way to assess its realism. However, we have real life doctors and police officers.

All of that said, I'm pretty good at suspending reality unless they claim some sort of realism and are really out there. They can still be fun to watch regardless.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 8:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Medical world of difference between ER and Grey's Anatomy.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"You watch a show for the drama, for the character actions and relationships"

I agree, Misspoufy, and that's why I used to watch Night Shift....but there is a limit. When a show does something so stupid (like two ER doctors reattaching an arm in the dark with no masks or caps or help from needed specialized medical personnel) it pulls you out of the intended drama and makes you roll your eyes instead of feeling the awe, fear, shock, loss or whatever the scene was meant to convey. At that point Night Shift left the drama behind and become a parody of itself (to me). That's when I think it has gone too far and "jumped the shark".

I'd say the same thing if Rick and his group found a colony of "friendly old lady Walkers" who invited them over for tea on The Walking Dead.:-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL - Have you ever thought about writing, Sanfran? You'd be good!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
What?...you want an old lady walker tea party on TWD???

Well, I'd consider it if I got a call from Hollywood looking for a Jump the Shark idea man.:-) Then Don could be abducted by aliens in the final scene of Mad Men.

Beverleyc

05-15-2011

Monday, May 11, 2015 - 9:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beverleyc a private message Print Post    
I hate when a show goes against it's own rules. It's kind of hard to explain. It's like I can do the whole "suspension of disbelief" as long as it doesn't make it unbelievable within it's own reality. The only example I can think of right off is Star Trek. In Star Trek, transporters almost instantaneously transports you to the location so when transporting takes more then a split second, it's going against it's own rules. Does that make sense? Maybe someone else can explain it better then me if they understand what I mean.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 6:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
aw...Josh, they are army field doctors. they can operate anywhere, under any circumstances.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 7:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I know exactly what you mean, Beverley. It's extremely frustrating when that happens. I can't think of any specific examples at the moment but I'm sure there are zillions.

Missyb

07-28-2004

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 7:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Missyb a private message Print Post    
Beverleyc, I do know what you mean and agree. It was one of the main reasons i switched book genres to Science fiction. Suspending disbelief was a lot easier in a world where anything can happen and all kinds of extraordinary powers exist . And, Star Trek ( original) was one of my favorite shows ever. :-)

Puttergirl

08-11-2000

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puttergirl a private message Print Post    
I enjoy Scandal but just about every story line on it jumps the shark

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL - I feel that way about all of Shonda's shows. I've lost track of the number of times they've done something that is ludicrous. However, I'm still watching Scandal. :-)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 11:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Best (and possibly original) jumped the shark - WHO SHOT JR?

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I thought it was getting out of the shower and finding an entire season of Dallas was a dream - I don't think things get sharkier than that.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, October 30, 2015 - 2:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Scorpion officially jumped the shark.

I dropped Scorpion after a recent episode that, IMHO, jumped the shark big time. It went from a fun adventure to a ridiculous waste of time when this group of civilian scientists sneaked into Kazakhstan, dressed up in superhero costumes, single handedly stole a nuclear missile, and fired it into an abandoned mine? Seriously?

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, October 30, 2015 - 4:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
SFJF, we gave up on this show way last spring (Scorpion). I loved the cast and the premise, but the writing was just plain silly. Couldn't buy it. No way, no how.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, October 30, 2015 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I still like Scorpion, precisely because it is not believable. :-)

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, October 30, 2015 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
yeah it has gotten way outta hand but its one of the few that hubby watches with me so we said we would finish the season

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I had absolutely no issue with Scorpion not being "believable". Some of my favorite shows score a zero on the believable meter. My issue was with it going from "dramedy" to "stupidity".

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 7:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
It was "not believable" from the very first episode. Suspend the science and reality, just go along for the ride?
Except when it gets serious (like with Walter's sister, sigh).

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 6:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I thought 'jumping the shark' was a desperate maneuver to save a dying show. Dallas went on for years at the top of the heap after the two episodes upthread happened.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 7:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
A show can continue for some time after a lot of fans believe it has jumped the shark.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: