TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 06, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 06, 2014 users admin

Marameko

07-14-2002

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
But Gurlie you are oh so very polite !

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Only on TVCH my dear.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Cablejockey,

I highly recommend watching The Buccaneers (or better yet reading the book by Edith Wharton). It depicts American heiresses marrying impoverished English nobility.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
This is my first season of watching Downton Abbey - so, are we saying Cora marrying the milquetoast fellow is actually what is saving Downton Abbey? I have not much desire, nor the time, to go back and watch the previous seasons, so I have no real idea of the ongoing story line, nor who the characters are. Mary and Edith seem to be daughters of Cora and whatshisname, who is the son of Maggie Smith's character?

And so, all the English snobs are living off American wealth? Which is probably ill-gotten gains in the first place? LOL.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
Maggie Smith is the mother of the hapless Earl. The estate was saved by the money Cora brought into the marriage. Still, the earl, somewhat of a dolt, mismanaged the estate, losing the money in ill-advised gambling in the stock exchange. His daughter Mary married Matthew Crawley, a lawyer, who successfully managed the estate.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Puzzled.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 7:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Rehtse: I will look up that book as I find it fascinating to see two such different groups merge for the sake of money!
Does anyone think that we'll ever see how Lord Grantham's trip to New York went? I was hoping we'd see something of it--just to see the culture shock for the English!

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 7:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Maybe it was only that the actor needed a bit of time off for surgery or some such thing. Thus the 'trip' to NY.

Riviere

09-09-2000

Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
The scene I'd like to watch would be a chat between Mary and Mabel and end with neither gal wanting to marry the fickle fluff Gillingham!
Mary has more in common with Blake, now that he'll inherit so much himself. Gillingham is more like a 'stalker' about things...

Willsfan

09-04-2000

Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willsfan a private message Print Post    
Wouldn't you just know that once Mary found out Blake would inherit lots of money that it made her more interested in him. lol But, she really wants to save her home for her son and the rest of the family and I can understand that.

Mary might surprise everyone and marry a third suitor that we don't know about yet.

The downstairs cast is getting more and more interesting. I love Mrs. Patmore & Mrs. Hughes.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
REALLY suggest watching all the seasons - shouldn't take that long!

Marameko

07-14-2002

Friday, February 28, 2014 - 7:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
I agree Legal I would not watch otherwise and this show is so good. The music, the clothes, the look at how they led their lives both upstairs and downstairs. It lets you relax and get away for a while.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Friday, February 28, 2014 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I find I am liking Mrs. Patmore and Mrs Hughs way more than I thought I would fgrom the very first episode, where they seemed so stern and forbidding!
Mary's own father married for the money that would save Downton, so its in the blood to do whatever it takes to keep the place going!

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Friday, February 28, 2014 - 10:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
I never thought he married her for the money. It just came in handy years later.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Friday, February 28, 2014 - 10:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Mamapors, he married Cora for the money, and the love came later. With Mary, everyone wanted her to marry Matthew, first for the estate itself and then for the money, but she waited until she was in love with him.

1jetsfan

07-21-2010

Friday, February 28, 2014 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send 1jetsfan a private message Print Post    
I think Gillingham killed Green to impress Mary. He is very stalker-like in his relationship with her....gives me a bit of a chill when he just invites himself to be a house guest.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, February 28, 2014 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
He does seem a bit slimy around the edges.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Anything that keeps Bates innocent and out of harms way works for me.

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Friday, February 28, 2014 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
Thanks Merrysea. I do not remember that part of their marriage. That kinda stinks for Cora.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 7:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Mamapors, I think it was a pretty common practice at the time. Huge British estates were having trouble maintaining themselves, and it was quite common for the British lord to take a rich American wife to keep his estate going. Much was made in an earlier season of Robert (Lord Grantham) having squandered Cora's money in the stock market.

I don't see Tony Gillingham as stalkerish at all! I just think he has a soft spot for Mary and doesn't want to give up on her. I think he's kind of sweet actually. I don't see Mary as being especially b**tchy. I just see her as a product of her upbringing. Edith can be pretty nasty when she wants, too.

Poor Michael! The Nazis got him. I wonder if we'll ever find out what happened to him.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 7:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Edith is so lucky her aunt helped her and took her side when she became pregnant! It almost makes me wonder if the same thing didnt happen to her when she was young! Sometimes looking at the two of them with their reddish hair, I wonder if Edith isnt really Rosamund's daughter. It would make a good plot twist.
One of things I really love about this show is that Downton Abbey really exists as Highclere Castle. Its amazing to see those rooms and know you can really go to England and see them. But according to the link I found on the castle, tours are all sold out for this year!!
http://www.highclerecastle.co.uk/

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
My sister is going through a rough time so I made her a Jib Jab card with the DA cast to make her laugh. I thought I would share it here. Violet has some moves!

http://www.jibjab.com/view/eMzggOb8TcWV3jGvaOmWQA

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 9:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Rieann that's awesome! I hope you don't mind, I shared it on my FB page.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 9:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
No problem. Glad you enjoyed it.

She called me and said it gave her a good laugh. She loves Carson.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
For those of you wondering what the missed-to-this-day Dan Stevens is up to in his post-D.A. career (and showing off an American accent, to boot!):

http://www.deadline.com/2014/08/video-the-guest-trailer-adam-wingard-dan-stevens/