TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 19, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 19, 2014 users admin

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, February 17, 2014 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Too bad there wasn't a spin-off series for Isobel and the Dowager. Loved the interaction when Violet gave Isobel the flowers from Mary's Godfather and she kept looking to the smaller arrangement he had sent her.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, February 17, 2014 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yeah, that was a hoot!

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Monday, February 17, 2014 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
I loved Edith's blue dress last night, I need that for my niece's wedding.

The one re-watch I am definitely going to do is the scene where Mrs. Crawley got her flowers and they were twice as big as the Dowager's. I loved how the Dowager kept glancing between the two arrangements with a smirk/grimace on her face!!

I definitely caught myself sighing with a smile at the end of the show. I am not ready for the season to end next week.

Cricket

08-05-2002

Monday, February 17, 2014 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cricket a private message Print Post    
You will all be very surprised at how it works out. It always amazes me at how the 'family' is carried through from the servants to the rich family.

Friends are more important than money any day.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, February 17, 2014 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
The season ends next week???? Dang, I just started watching it, haven't seen last night's yet. Is the season just 8 episodes? No wonder things seem to happen so quickly.

Cricket

08-05-2002

Monday, February 17, 2014 - 8:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cricket a private message Print Post    
Yes, JuJu, eight episodes.

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Monday, February 17, 2014 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
I liked Mrs. Patmore praising Daisy for the mature and dignified way she wished Alfred well while saying goodbye to him.

And I like the fact that Daisy keeps up a relationship with her father-in-law, even though she never really felt married to his son.

(Yoohoo, Mr. Mosley -- Lord Gillingham needs a new valet! What's that? Now you DON'T want to leave Downton?)

Curlyq

07-10-2002

Monday, February 17, 2014 - 11:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Curlyq a private message Print Post    
I kept wondering why Daisy couldn't be more understanding of Ivy's position given how Daisy had been pressured into marrying a boy she wasn't interested in. She seemed so peeved about the fact that Ivy wasn't going to marry Alfred, as if she resented that she wasn't being forced into it like Daisy was. I'm glad she wised up and acted decently in the end. It was a very sweet scene between her and Ms. Patmore. Don't those people ever hug, though?

Loved seeing Mr. Mosley finally make a friend, someone who could make him feel grateful for his life rather than the butt of the joke.

Hated that Rose was so passionate about seeing her mother's face crumble that she wasn't even thinking about the price her fiance might end up paying. Meanwhile he was only concerned about how people would treat her. One of them was in love, but it wasn't Rose.

Not sure how I feel about the Branson storyline. Or the ongoing race for Mary's hand, which she's not even looking to give to anyone. Was there a shortage of women that these eligible bachelors would be sniffing around a widow with a child, and a fairly icy one at that? I guess they want to find her another match, but I'd rather see her grow as a business woman. This was something I thought they were going to do with Edith, but then they threw her into another ill-fated romance.

Speaking of Edith, I love that her grandmother was sharp enough to figure out what was going on, while Cora was completely oblivious.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 7:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Cora is always oblivious. The more I watch, the more I see that. She lives with her head in the clouds and sees nothing but rainbows and unicorns in her little world. I've gotten to the point where I laugh every time she talks. It's not that I don't like her, I do like her. But she's just always in such a "rose-colored-glasses" mood.

And whoever up there suggested an entire episode with Violet and Isobel...YES. That would be awesome. I think they need to travel together. Would be the best episode ever. I'm pretty sure we'd be falling off our couches in fits of laughter.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 8:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Lord and Lady Grantham are both clueless, well-meaning dolts. ;)

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I agree 100% Mameblanche.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
That's it in a nutshell, Mameblanche. They live in cloud cuckoo land. The Dowager must think so, too, because she was so eager to have Mary at the helm, not her sonny boy.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 12:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    

I agree, as was the case for many of the upper class during that time.... entitlement.

I think Mrs. Crawley is going to get a beau. Loved watching Maggie Smith's eyes and expression when the older gent and Mrs. Crawley were talking. I think that the Dowager is going to encourage this flirtation!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    

LOL Mame! So true.

My sister just got hooked on this show and binge watched all 4 seasons. It's been fun hearing her thoughts. In one of our first conversations she referred to Robert as "Big Daddy" which made me let out a big whoop of laughter. It really struck my funny bone for some reason. Maybe I should have her say "Big Daddy Doofus". :-)

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 2:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I don't believe Bates actually killed the man, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he called in a favor from his army days and had the deed done. Good for him!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
My episode cut off right at the end when Mr. Molesly was just about to try the sledge hammer thingy. Ugh!!! They must have gotten a late start or something. I'm so glad this shows again next Sunday. Did I miss much?

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Yes, you did BJM - the episode was 75 minutes long, so make sure when you record it again on Sunday that you instruct your device to go beyond the usual 60 minutes.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
BJM - yes, a lot did happen - try to catch it next week before the new episode.

Jennywa

07-17-2003

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jennywa a private message Print Post    
I was thinking maybe Anna killed Green? She was in London...

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I'm a little lost in how anyone knew where he was? London was a huge city even way back then.

Curlyq

07-10-2002

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Curlyq a private message Print Post    
Didn't Bates ask him where he lived in that scene where they were all eating dinner together?

The only reason I don't suspect Anna is because she wouldn't have bothered asking Bates if he'd done something stupid that would jeopardize what they'd worked for.

I always thought Isobel would end up with the doctor for some reason.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 9:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Seems both Mrs. Crowley's are being pursued by two gentleman.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 10:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Curlyq, the doctor did mention to Isobel that he'd be interested in courting her, but she was not, so that was the end of that (don't remember if that was this season or last--probably last).

I found another airing of this episode tomorrow night @ midnight. It shows that it runs 1 1/2 hours. Must be a pledge break in there somewhere. Hope I can see the rest of the episode this time. It's very odd that my DVR didn't record it. Usually it gets info from the guide on how long the episode is. Strange that it would cut off in the middle.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 6:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
No breaks. Just an extra long episode. And a good one.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 7:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
I just saw Mrs. Hughes aka Phyllis Logan on YouTube in the first season of Holby City--a sort of ER programme. She was very, very attractive.