TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Reign

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Reign users admin

Cathie

08-16-2000

Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cathie a private message Print Post    
Our power was out for last week's episode and I realize I missed a lot. Where did the baby come from. It sounds like it is Sebastian's, but who is the mother?

Yacky

07-06-2005

Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 9:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yacky a private message Print Post    
Sebastian and the mother are cousins, she died during childbirth.

Cathie

08-16-2000

Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 11:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cathie a private message Print Post    
Ah, thank you.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
If you're still watching this show it will return April 9. Let me tell you that this one is no teenage stuff, 'viewers discretion is really advised'.
With the next season things should get quite tragic, since you know the tragic fate of Mary and also Henry II and Francis. I can't see the series going past the 1 year mark since all these events are very close to happening and then it's no longer Reign since out of the main characthers only Caterina de Medici will remain. Marie gone, Henri gone, Francis gone. I wonder if they'll continue with the story of Mary in Scotland but that would really be too good to know.

If you consider that by the time period we see in the series Caterina de Medici had aldready 10 children and the very important daughter, her youngest one, Margot, is never mentioned, and she'll be Queen Margot one day... go figure.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Well, it was the season finale and at that point I was just asking myself, when is this joust going to happen?? Enough already!
I don't know how many are viewing this tv series which I think it's quite good in illustrating the chaotic kingdoms of the times, however I think the producers are taking too many liberties with the interpretation of the events and I just wish the young people watching the series to learn the truth from the history books, please believe me that Francis never replaced Montgomery in the joust just to kill his father, for heaven's sake, someone should tell these tv producers to calm down and not alter history in this abominable fashion just to get good ratings.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, May 19, 2014 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I'm sure there's a lot that happens on this show that's not true history. Was Mary ever actually married to Francis in the first place? I didn't think she ever actually married him. At this point, I'm just enjoying the show and taking it as entertainment, mot historical fact.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, May 19, 2014 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Ok, I stand corrected. Mary was married to Francis, but only for about a year and a half before (spoiler alert!) he died and she returned to Scotland. She spent most of her adult life imprisoned by her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I, before being executed at the age of 44. Very sad story.

Saggkl

07-16-2002

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Saggkl a private message Print Post    
No one should take this show as history. Mary was married to Francis. I am not sure how long. She had a pretty unhappy life. Elizabeth's advisors made her paranoid about her cousin wanting her throne. I am not sure Mary wanted the throne of England herself. She just wanted them to leave Scotland alone. But maybe I read the history wrong and she did. But I am sticking with not.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Friday, October 03, 2014 - 9:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
It started again with the Black Plague episode and you can see how they're making this Mary very much in power, whereas in real life she was but a young girl manipulated by a strong Caterine de Medici and pretty soon a widow and returning to Scotland to her tragic future.
Still, it's nice to have a show who brings us back to another time in history.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 6:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I got a bit mad last night at the audacity of the show producers, I closed an eye to so many liberties they took in re-writing history but this one was too much! Francis killing his own father at the joust! A teenage boy who must have been sitting beside his mother, Caterina de Medici, and watching his father and Montgomery competing and Montgomery himself revealing that it was an accident and the King himself admitting as much and had few days of life left to know exactly how he was killed, the wound in his eye eventually killed him.

Well, just have fun with this story but check the history books to see just how much fiction this is...

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, November 03, 2014 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Oh, it's definitely fiction. The whole Black Death and then everybody's just fine the next week. The fury over religious tolerance is total fiction. France was staunchly Catholic. One of the reasons they hated England so much and supported Mary was because they wanted to see a Catholic ruler back on the English throne. There was no tolerance! This show is so silly, but it's still pretty. Why I watch, but I'm going to hurt myself rolling my eyes.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 8:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Did you like the season finale? Oh my, the fantasy these people have in re-writing history. Oh well, some young people may find the show interesting enough to want to go to the library and learn some more...

To tell us that a teen Francis killed his father and is now the fierce king who wants to slaughter friends and foe out of revenge of what was done to his queen. Oh my! His ear infection that killed him after only 11 months of marriage and a very short reign should come soon or this is going to become too ridiculous, Mary who had very little power while in France is this strong woman who wants to show her strength as a queen of France by doing what her husband is failing at, well... poor Mary, still so young she will soon become the widow who has no choice but to return to Scotland and forget about France... and so the show will have to end soon.

By the way, the costume designer of those gowns must think it's the red carpet of the Oscars, what happened to those tall white collars Mary used to wear and mainly in black and white. Beautiful gowns but not at all how they were dressed... oh well, our young people must love them.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 7:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Another season finale, am I the only one still watching this show. They were desperately trying to get closer to real history with Conde' leaving the scene and Francis finally close to dying, but he should have been dead during the scene of his bleeding ear instead he survived miraculously and now finally making this young king close to death (If you know he was a teen, 16, when he died and Mary was no threat whatsoever to Catherine who sent Mary to Scotland right after Francis' death only to live a very tragic life). So history is telling us a different story but the tv series still gives us good visuals to some aspects of that troublesome era.

It's worth watching a third season of this show if it's not cancelled,

Cathie

08-16-2000

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cathie a private message Print Post    
I am still loving this show--cannot believe that there is a year gap in the postings here. Mary is finally going to Scotland! It has been renewed for another season, so happy to see that.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I never saw a tv series airing on so many channels at different times and so many repeats of this series. It must be very popular with the younger viewers.
The scenes are spreading from France to England and now to include Scotland, very nicely done indeed. Even though sometimes it's more fictional than historical, in the end they stay true to the most known facts. Just remember she was only 18, having married Francis at 15, he 14, when she returned to Scotland and remarries at 22 and has a child (the future King of Scotland and England !!) and then remarries at 24 and then it's all downhill for her.

Cathie

08-16-2000

Friday, February 10, 2017 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cathie a private message Print Post    
Reign is finally back tonight!

Spunky

10-07-2001

Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 9:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
The opener of a new season is always intended to draw you in the story and keep you there, I couldn't miss it because I was so curious to see how they dealt with three locations, not just France, we now have Scotland and England as well. Knowing what comes next I sometimes feel like warning Mary, and also Elizabeth (since she will indeed feel a lot of remorse for killing not only her cousin but a Queen, something she believed to be sacred)and I can't complain too much about the violence that is getting too visual, after all knowing what comes next (the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre while Catherine was still Regent) the violence we see in this show is understandable, however, I don't know how much 'acting' was the reaction of John the small boy watching his nanny killed, to me that was pure terror, you can't teach that, although we've seen small children in movies in the middle of slaughters and crying desperately, I don't know how a director could make it all better afterwards. Anyway, I must be getting old and too sentimental, but that scene was a bit too much for me.

Cathie

08-16-2000

Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 5:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cathie a private message Print Post    
I agree, Spunky, it was a dreadful scene.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 9:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I have to retract something I said above, the St. Bartholomews's Day massacre did not happen while Catherine was regent, but it did happen during King Francis who was strongly influenced by his mother Catherine, in other words she no longer was regent but still had the power to sway her young son. It's still some time away from what we see in this series but the stage is set and what comes next is really chilling.
I try to see this series with a lot of tolerance as to the exact timing, the massacre happened in 1572 and I think we're still 10 years before that, the religion wars was indeed a terrible time. Also Mary is still very young and not yet married to her first cousin Lord Darnley, that happened when she was 22 in 1565, it lasted about 2 years and had a son James, (ironically he becomes King of Scotland and England). If we consider that Mary abdicated in 1567, we may still have a few years in this series with lots of exciting events.

Cathie

08-16-2000

Monday, May 22, 2017 - 3:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cathie a private message Print Post    
Well, we have three episodes left before the series is over. I wonder how much they will cover of the remainder of Mary's life/death. I have really enjoyed this series, sorry to see it end.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I must admit they are quite good in re-telling the story of, at least Mary, her life in Scotland was really that bad (I hope they'll show the burning of John Knox, what a hateful man), the murder or Rizzio just when she was 6 months pregnant under her very eyes, those nobles to be able to do that in front of a Queen and her lousy husband who worked against her, it's not difficult to believe she may have been involved in her husband's murder (by Bothwell). There is plenty of material they could use to continue this very popular series (at least here in Canada, aired by 4 different channels !!!)

Spunky

10-07-2001

Friday, June 16, 2017 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Well, that's all she wrote ! The series ended ! They wrapped up all the loose ends in a hurry (I was waiting to see Margot mentioned and they finally remembered of her, throughout the series you almost wondered where was that invisible daughter who became Queen. Too bad they didn't show the burning of Knox, may he live in hell.
They didn't show that Mary did marry Bothwell when she abdicated, she was 24, but soon after were separated, she imprisoned by Elizabeth and he a fugitive who lost his mind. A good touch was the dialogue between Mary's son James and Queen Elizabeth (mostly for our benefit because in real life James barely knew his mother and was surrounded by men who contributed to his mother's demise.

I guess it couldn't have gone any further than this series finale, for anyone still interested in that time of history... we still have our libraries and unlimited resources online.

Cathie

08-16-2000

Friday, June 16, 2017 - 10:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cathie a private message Print Post    
I was sad to see this end, also happy that they tried to tie up loose ends, but so much in such a short show! Loved seeing Francis again, would have liked to see Bash, too, but can't have everything.

Wrennez

11-03-2009

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wrennez a private message Print Post    
We did see Bash in the flashback scenes.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: