TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 27, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 27, 2014 users admin

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
Rape was not only common, but in some households, the maids were expected to be available for the master of the house. There were no rape crisis centers, police didn't care and it was assumed that women led men on. I just hope Bates is more understanding than most men would have been in that time frame. Also, if the family hears of it, they might just put the blame on Anna. Women were not worth much other than what they could do for men.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Friday, January 17, 2014 - 5:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
^ 5 Gurlie !
When the scene started with the first act of violence my response was to think that surely he had not struck her.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Friday, January 17, 2014 - 7:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I've never gotten a virtual high-five before. Thanks Marameko.

I feel so bad for Anna and I think Joanne Froggett did an amazing acting job. This could be next year's Emmy or Golden Globe for her and/or the show.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Friday, January 17, 2014 - 8:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
I don't think I had ever given a virtual high five before. All alone , typing at my desk around 6:00 AM,EST that is what literally came out of my mouth so that is what I typed.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, January 17, 2014 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Not feeling this season so much, but I'll watch it all - it's worth watching every episode just to hear Maggie Smith whip off a few wisecracks. She doesn't even have to do that, she could just stare at the camera and I'd watch.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, January 17, 2014 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Me too, Gal! But if it gets much grittier or more traumatic, they MIGHT lose me too.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 6:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I've always said I'd watch Dame Maggie Smith reading the phone book. Dame Judi Dench also.

GAL, if you can get a video of 'The Prime of Miss Jean Brody' please do so. That is where I first knew of Maggie Smith. She won best actress Oscar that year…and with good reason. She was a phenom even way back then.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, January 20, 2014 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
So much going on! Tom Branson...what a pickle he got himself him! That girl was BAD! I hope we have seen the last of her. Mrs. Hughes was great!

Anna, Anna, Anna

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 20, 2014 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
After enduring the shocking emotional trauma of last week's ep, I was extremely happy with this week's ep, especially in how much they moved the story along. Was surprised at how fast they fixed Branson's 'pickle' as Reenie called it. I am also liking the ANTI-HERO that Thomas has become. He is quickly becoming a favourite of mine.

They really should rename this show MRS. HUGHES SAVES THE DAY!

I think Anna is RIGHT (for the moment). Bates WOULD end up in gaol for killing the b*st*rd, if she tells him. :-(

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, January 20, 2014 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Ya gotta love Mrs. Hughes!

Curlyq

07-10-2002

Monday, January 20, 2014 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Curlyq a private message Print Post    
Was it my imagination, or did Barrow's reaction to the sacking of the social-climbing maid seem suspicious? It sounded like he had someone else in mind for the job. I couldn't help but wonder if he's trying to bring back O'Brien, as he never seemed to have any other friends. But they didn't part on good terms, did they?

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, January 20, 2014 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I believe we saw the new ladies' maid in the previews. She looked to be a middle-age woman.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 7:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Yes, I wonder what the connection is between Barrow and the upcoming new Ladies' Maid. There will be something there for sure.

And Mrs. Hughes is a badass! I absolutely loved how she handled the situation with Tom and his stalker maid. I really like her a lot. She's hard when she needs to be, but she's a very nurturing, caring woman when she needs to be too. An all-around amazing lady.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 7:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Mrs. Hughes' role isn't showy, but I think the actor who plays her deserves an Emmy nom for what she brings to the role.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I agree Ophiliasgrandma.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 1:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
The only thing that resonated with me this episode was the last scene/shot when Tom and Mary drive off as their babies are being strolled home. I felt bad for the babies. Neither parent seemed to even turn their head towards them.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 5:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Rehtse...I noticed that too! I guess the babies are totally raised by the staff. How sad for everyone..

You wouldn't even realize there were any babies in the house if it weren't for that scene.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 8:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
How sad not to feel love from a father or mother when they are within reach.

Seabreeze

09-05-2004

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 9:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seabreeze a private message Print Post    
I so love Mr bates...I just hope he does not get into trouble seeking revenge.

Happygal

11-15-2004

Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happygal a private message Print Post    
At one point last night Violet and Isobel were walking in the garden and taking shots at each other and it was like watching Ouiser and Clairee (from Steel Magnolias).

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, January 27, 2014 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Good observation, Happygal.

Mr. Bates will extract revenge and no one but the culprit will be the wiser. He won't do anything to stress Anna.

It's going to be fun to watch him in action.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 27, 2014 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yup, I'm anticipating Mr. Green or whatever the schmuck's name is, to end up in the hospital in traction, at the very least, with his naughty bits permanently out of commission.

Cathie

08-16-2000

Monday, January 27, 2014 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cathie a private message Print Post    
The DVD for this season is coming out tomorrow, in case you are like me and cannot stand waiting to see it every week.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, January 27, 2014 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Thanks for that info Cathie..

Yes, I'm expecting some sort of accident to befall Mr. what's his face So glad Anna came clean (mostly).

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, January 27, 2014 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I am just not getting into this season. It bugs me because I can't figure out why the show doesn't interest me anymore.