TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 16, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 16, 2014 users admin

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 7:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
Poor Lord Grantham is not too bright. I wonder about Cora's father, too. Why did he not see that her money would not be part of the entailment? He had to realise that the esteemed Lord was not all that astute.

Csnog

07-18-2002

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 10:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
PBS usually has it online for awhile.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 10:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Wrennez,
Check your local listing for PBS this coming Saturday night, the 11th. Sunday's season premiere is being rebroadcast here in L.A., so I have to assume it will be repeated across the country as well.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I wish Thomas would fall off a cliff. He upsets the heck out of me with his devious ways.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
No kidding OG. He's horrible.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I'm with you. Falling off a cliff would be awesome for Thomas.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
But his shenanigans keep things interesting. He's the guy I love to hate. LOL. (Couldn't stand him until they humanized him last season tho. Not a fan of one-dimensional characters.) And this gal they've added seems deliciously odious and a great foil for him. I absolutely can't stand her at all, so she must be doing a good job. LOL! I love best when these rats turn on each other tho, as Obrien and Thomas eventually did.

Another small point I'd like to make. You NEVER see two characters on a show with the same name, even though in real life, we all know more than one person with the same name. I really like how they have TOM BRANSON and THOMAS BARROW in DA. It's nice that they have them SLIGHTLY different to avoid confusion though. :-)

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 3:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
Yeah, but dim minds like mine still confuse them. When I read a recap I have to keep checking the last names. Too bad they both have last names that start with "B."

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
One thing favorable for Thomas, he was sure right about the nanny. What she said to that adorable little girl what horrible. I'm sure glad Cora heard her and kicked her butt out the door.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I don't get PBS either in South Padre or at home, but I Googled it and found the opening episode of season 4, just to see what everybody is talking about. Now if I can manage to remember to find it online each week ...

Roteach

06-01-2003

Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 4:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Juju, you should find each episode on the PBS site. I don't think that there is a long wait time between first airing and when it appears on the site.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
http://www.today.com/entertainment/dan-stevens-apologizes-lot-his-downton-abbey-death-2D11884325

And he SHOULD be sorry!!! Actually the worst part was that I had read he was leaving the show, so the whole final episode I was watching and thinking, "Is he gonna die now? Is it gonna be a hunting accident? Maybe a train wreck? When is he gonna die???" Totally spoiled the whole episode for me.

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Noooooo!! I was so enjoying the opera singer and did not see that ugly storyline coming. Can't they give us more than one episode to get over Matthew before doing this to poor Anna? My heart can't take this.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I had the EXACT same reaction BC! I told DH that I actually WISH I HAD SEEN SOME SPOILERS so I'd have been prepared for this! I am very shook up, although I knew that the writers wouldn't allow the Bate's storyline to continue on blissfully for long... Dangit.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 5:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Babyjaxmom - I know, that spoiler was a season finale ruiner for me too.

I can not believe what they have done to Anna!!!

I was all happy about Edith's boyfriend winning the poker game and helping Robert out of a pickle and then BOOM...poor Anna.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
The Brits were OUTRAGED last fall too - if you read the stories back then...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24448002

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/downton-abbey/10362232/Downton-Abbey-viewers-complain-to-ITV-about-rape-scene.html

Just dont google this too much or you stumble on more spoilers that you may not want to know of yet (i quickly diverted my eyes when i realized i was reading an article about the rape weeks afterwards when more episodes had been shown)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Legal! :-)

Denecee

09-05-2002

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
I just started this series, I am on season 1 eps 6 maybe. So far, I am really liking it even if I am having a hard time understanding all of them with their accents.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 11:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I always watch with the closed captioning turned on - that way you can never miss or misunderstand what exactly it is that they're saying.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 6:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I started watching this too and am only on Season 2! I really shouldnt even be on this thread I guess, but I dont mind a spoiler or three!
It amazes me that there really a Downton Abbey in real life that you can go and visit! Only its called Highclare Castle.
I love the accents (great idea about putting on the CC to catch every word)the clothes and the history. It all looks so believable and you fall right into the story, but it sounds as if the writers are not making their audience happy with some plot turns. When I watch this I think of my grandmother who would have been Daisy's age and station in life. She grew up in England and I wish she was still here so I could ask her about life back then!

Marameko

07-14-2002

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 8:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
I am going to have to try the close captioned which I need for the cockney accents. I will also see if that option is availalbe for the BBC program "Luther" as that gives me a reason to look at Idris Elba. SMILE

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 3:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I've been using the CC option more and more these days, as all the actors on ALL the shows seem to "mumble" a bit.

Of course I immediately had the thought of what if Anna ends up pregnant by that jerk? Bates would be thrilled and think it was his. I just can't believe no one could hear her screaming. I think Mrs. Hughes knows what happened, cause she saw the culprit returning to the drawing room at the end of the singer's performance. Poor Anna!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I saw this headline before I watched the episode and quickly averted my eyes. Of course I had to go back and find it after watching:

http://www.today.com/entertainment/downton-abbey-stuns-shocking-crime-2D11914821

Richardgirl

08-23-2013

Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Richardgirl a private message Print Post    
Well, I'm done with Downton Abbey! So sad, as I, along with my whole family, really enjoyed this show, because it was interesting and classy without violent shock content. But, after seeing this week's episode and reading about how the season will follow this story line, I see they've now gone the way of Hollywood! From the reaction of both the UK & US fans, looks like Fellowes has just killed his own show!!! So sad!

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 3:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I guess I'm jaded because I don't understand the uproar. Yes, it was horrid. Yes, I think it's awful. They didn't show the act. The did show the after effect of the act. But rape actually did happen back in those days too. Probably more than it does now as back then there was more of a stigma attached and women didn't report it for fear of reprisal. Maybe i'm in the minority here, but I'm looking forward to seeing how they do actually deal with it.